DVDVR Message Board

Marvel - Everything Else - 2020

• 2 weeks later...

I re-watched Dark Phoenix last night, because it's on HBO. It's still not a terrible movie like everyone says. But there are quite a few problems with it, but it's nothing new for anyone that's ever watched any of these X-Men movies: Charles is a piece of shit, and everyone loves Mystique so much.

The only thing I'm sad about with Marvel now owning the rights to X-Men is that we likely won't see more of Tye Sheridan's Cyclops, Alexandra Shipp's Storm or Sophie Turner's Jean Grey and Oliva Munn's Psylocke. Everyone else cast in these movies I didn't like - well, besides McAvoy. He's a good Charles, but I think it's time for someone else to live in that role for awhile. The four I mentioned above, some only really got a movie and a half to live with these characters and show their potential, while someone like Psylocke wasn't even fleshed out in the one movie she was in.

I fully expect for Storm, Cyclops and Jean Grey to be rebooted when they eventually appear, but I really hope they keep the same actors. If we can have J.K. Simmons playing the same character across two unconnected franchises, then maybe there's hope for Sheridan, Shipp & Turner.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sony Pictures is looking to keep building its own Marvel universe as they have tapped acclaimed TV director S.J. Clarkson (Collateral) to develop a female-centric movie utilizing the studio’s catalogue of Marvel characters, according to Variety.

At the time of reporting, it’s currently unknown as to which character Clarkson will be developing a film around, but sources are reporting that there’s a strong possibility the film will be focused on Madame Web, who the studio said they would be bringing to the big screen in September 2019 with writing duo Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Morbius) attached to pen the script. Sources have confirmed, however, that there is no writer attached to Clarkson’s project, which could indicate it won’t be the Madame Web film or that Sazama and Sharpless are no longer attached to the project.

Originally created by writer Denny O’Neil and artist John Romita, Jr., Madame Web is generally depicted as an elderly woman with myasthenia gravis who is connected to a life support system reminiscent of a spider-web. She has mostly been a supporting character in the Spider-Man universe since her introduction in The Amazing Spider-Man issue #210 in November 1980.

Be it a Madame Web film or some other character, getting a female-driven vehicle off the ground in Sony’s Marvel Cinematic Universe has been a major priority for the studio, as they not only still have the rights to many major characters, but also given audiences’ demands for more female-driven superhero projects.

Clarkson has spent over two decades working in the small screen world on everything from the British medical soap opera Doctors to early seasons of EastEnders and Veronica Mars. She would begin her rise to Hollywood stardom around 2010 when she helmed episodes of Heroes, Dexter, Banshee and Bates Motel and has dipped her toe in the Marvel world with two episodes of Netflix’s Jessica Jones and The Defenders. She was set to become the first female director of a Star Trek film, though said project was shelved after initial contract issues arose with its stars.

I'm pretty sure that when people say Madam Web, they don't mean the old lady but Julia Carpenter instead, after the old lady transferred her powers into her. They could go a noir/low-costume sort of murder thriller or they could just use that name for her and play her as black-costumed Spider-Woman, thus keeping the Spider-Woman name on Jessica Drew.

Spider-Who Part 244: Madam Web, Julia Carpenter – Positively Jim

• Like 1

Yeah a Madame Web focused movie really only makes sense if you go with Julia. I honestly have no idea how the comics version of either Web is. I just know I liked the original in the 90's Spider-man cartoon.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Yeah a Madame Web focused movie really only makes sense if you go with Julia. I honestly have no idea how the comics version of either Web is. I just know I liked the original in the 90's Spider-man cartoon.

I found out a few years back that Joan Lee, Stan Lee's wife voiced Madame Web in the 1990s Spider-Man cartoon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I only come across the old Madame Web in a couple of Spider-Man issues and the Julia Carpenter version through cameo appearances in Dan Slott's Spider-Man run.

If they wanted a female super hero franchise giving Spider-Gwen her own animated movie run is right there, unless they want to keep her bound to the Spider-Verse movies.

I suppose there's always Silver Sable or Black Cat to use as well depending on if their licenses are tied to the Spider-Man franchise.  Not sure if they'd use Sable since she is very close in theme to Black Widow and it may seem like copying.

Edited by J.T.

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If they wanted a female super hero franchise giving Spider-Gwen her own animated movie run is right there, unless they want to keep her bound to the Spider-Verse movies.

I suppose there's always Silver Sable or Black Cat to use as well depending on if their licenses are tied to the Spider-Man franchise.  Not sure if they'd use Sable since she is very close in theme to Black Widow and it may seem like copying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_%26_Black_(unproduced_film)

If they're REALLY set on a Jackpot movie, just make it Zendaya and make it MJ. 

• 1 month later...

Now that's a bold statement as the visuals for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) are amazing, ditto the story, heart and humour the film has in abundance. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a top five CBM of all time IMO.

spider-man-spider-verse-animated-film-1.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

165343.jpg

Bane in Vengeance of Bane #1 (1993) to Batman and Robin (1997) and Spider-Gwen in Edge of Spider-Verse #2 (2014) to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) in only four years from comic books to the big screen.

Edited by The Natural