DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I think it was always supposed to be a multiplayer to a degree, but yeah I recall there being a game in development after DAI came out that eventually got scrapped. I think it was whatever they originally planned for Anthem. That was why I was wondering if Bioware should really be blamed as the rug was kind of pulled from out under them on that.

All of the Mass Effect games have Multiplayer so it is certain that Anthem was going to have it as well.  I just don't think that Anthem was designed solely with Multiplayer in mind.

The problem with Anthem is that there is a lot of lazy level design, shitty characters, and horrible mechanics and those were present in Mass Effect:  Andromeda way before they surfaced in Anthem.  We mostly ignored that in Andromeda because the story wasn't half bad and frankly, we were starved for an ME game and finally got one.

Anthem perpetuates the sin and the flaws are glaring because the game does not have an endearing story to distract us.  My experience with VtM: Bloodlines and other people's experience with Alpha Protocol kinda proves that a good story will make you turn a blind eye to a lot of bullshit.  I don't think we'd be so hard on Anthem if it was an RPG rather than a cash grab MMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

All of the Mass Effect games have Multiplayer so it is certain that Anthem was going to have it as well.  I just don't think that Anthem was designed solely with Multiplayer in mind.

Only 3 and Andromeda had MP

I have such a love/hate relationship with Hitman games. I can't remember all the versions but the one that came out ~4 years ago I loved. But I couldn't get into Hitman 2. The missions felt like they gave options but they were fake options in that it took such precision (and seemed like luck) to win some ways. I tried really really hard not to do a shootout style ending since I wanted to be stealthy and use the cool methods but it just felt overly complicated and difficult. I'll definitely check out the new one but trying not to get too excited about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I have such a love/hate relationship with Hitman games. I can't remember all the versions but the one that came out ~4 years ago I loved. But I couldn't get into Hitman 2. The missions felt like they gave options but they were fake options in that it took such precision (and seemed like luck) to win some ways. I tried really really hard not to do a shootout style ending since I wanted to be stealthy and use the cool methods but it just felt overly complicated and difficult. I'll definitely check out the new one but trying not to get too excited about it.

Same.  I feel like the PS4 sandbox games were interesting, but I've never been able to get into the earlier games and I bounce off the PS4 games if I try to play them straight.  I feel like the series is generally well-made and i should be a fan, but I'm really not (a fan).  I really only enjoy the games while setting up wacky, over-complicated kills.

I guess what I really want is for Io Interactive to develiop a Spy vs. Spy or Roadrunner/Wile E. Coyote game.

• Like 2

The games are definitely quality but not a lot of fun. Kind of feel like the Larian RPGs are like that. I was hoping the D&D setting would help get me into Baldur's Gate III but it was so buggy when the early access dropped I stopped playing it until it gets significantly more refined. I'm not the one to be bug reporting for that style of game.

Finished up Last Day of June.  Not sure I "enjoyed" it exactly, but it was engrossing and the writing was strong.  I don't cry over video games (or anything else, really), but it was touch and go at the end.  Basically, it's a Groundhog-style adventure about a man who discovers he can rewind time and tries to use the ability to change the day he lost the love of his life.

The ending really got to me.

Spoiler

I figured out fairly quickly that my character might not get his happy ending.  Every time I went to the past and changed something, the butterfly effect screwed him over and something unforeseen happened that either resulted in June still dying, or prevented me from fixing something else about that day that would theoretically save June.  It's a very melancholy game, so, yeah, not getting a happy ending wasn't a surprise.

You eventually figure out that someone has to die that day.  Spare June from the car accident and someone else has to take her place.  So you decide that you'll take her place so she can live (your character was in the same accident but survived).   That was a surprisingly tough realization.  I'm usually "it's just a game" guy.

The double whammy comes when you find more of June's notes and realize that she went through everything you just went through in an attempt to save your life.  Meaning, in the original timeline, your character died in the accident and June eventually sacrificed herself to save you.

Ugh.  I was really impressed with the craftmanship though.  The writer/director is Massimo Guarini, whose previous credits are a strange Vita game I'm unfamiliar with and Shadows of the Damned.  Honestly, I always assumed he was a figurehead on Shadows of the Damned.  Shadows was mostly a collaboration between Goichi Suda (Killer 7 and many other strange games) and Shinji Mikami (created Resident Evil).  I figured Guarini had minimal input.

Really excited to see what the developers do next.  

22 hours ago, Eoae said:

I guess what I really want is for Io Interactive to develiop a Spy vs. Spy or Roadrunner/Wile E. Coyote game.

I didn't know I wanted those games until you mentioned it.  Done right that would be awesome.  I unfortunately don't see Spy vs. Spy happening due to Mad ceasing publication.  But a Roadrunner/Wile E. game would be a rather fun one to play.

• Thanks 1

Microsoft announced a new Perfect Dark, which looks incredible for a trailer but I want to see its gameplay and I really really really want Microsoft to have new IPs for the Series X/S.

Given that they want it to be like a Sony First Party Game (Horizon/God of War 2018/Spider-Man/etc.), I think it'll be fine. I just want them to take that level of creativity to a new IP.

12 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Microsoft announced a new Perfect Dark, which looks incredible for a trailer but I want to see its gameplay and I really really really want Microsoft to have new IPs for the Series X/S.

Given that they want it to be like a Sony First Party Game (Horizon/God of War 2018/Spider-Man/etc.), I think it'll be fine. I just want them to take that level of creativity to a new IP.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It Takes Two

Next game from Hazelight Studios (the folks who did A Way Out and Brothers) - which seems fairly obvious once you see the gameplay

I'm the most excited for this game. The gameplay looks incredibly fun and it's like they made it for people who have a great memory for the history of videogames.