DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Weird, since I watched a video where they said they took ps4 games that were on an external drive and played them on the ps5. 

External drive support for PS4 and PS5 games are two separate issues,  At launch, you won't be able to save PS5 games to an external drive or play PS5 games from an external drive.  You will be able to plug an external drive into the console and move, play, and save PS4 games to the external drive.   

You'll also apparently be able to specify different default drives for PS5 and PS4 games.  I.E., you'll be able to set the console to automatically download PS5 games and patches to the internal console storage while PS4 games and data automatically download to an external drive.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

This could end up being a huge problem based on the issue where the SSD has significantly less space than what was originally advertised.  PS5 games are huge, and if you can't hold more than a few at a time on the hard drive, that is going to be a huge pain in the ass.

25 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This could end up being a huge problem based on the issue where the SSD has significantly less space than what was originally advertised.  PS5 games are huge, and if you can't hold more than a few at a time on the hard drive, that is going to be a huge pain in the ass.

Yep.  Although Sony did vaguely say that the issue would be addressed "in the future.".  You can upgrade the console's internal memory - some day.  The console has an SSD expansion slot, but it also will be disabled at launch. 

One the one hand, it's hard to believe that Sony won't resolve both these issues before storage ever becomes an issue for most gamers.  On the other hand, it's hard to believe that we're having this conversation the week of the console's launch, so I dunno.  I'm not really clear if Sony made an announcement about storage or if it was discovered independently when news sites started reviewing consoles, but in either case, Sony doesn't seem to be planning to discuss it in detail which makes me wonder if it's going to be a long-term issue for the console.  

3 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Yep.  Although Sony did vaguely say that the issue would be addressed "in the future.".  You can upgrade the console's internal memory - some day.  The console has an SSD expansion slot, but it also will be disabled at launch. 

One the one hand, it's hard to believe that Sony won't resolve both these issues before storage ever becomes an issue for most gamers.  On the other hand, it's hard to believe that we're having this conversation the week of the console's launch, so I dunno.  I'm not really clear if Sony made an announcement about storage or if it was discovered independently when news sites started reviewing consoles, but in either case, Sony doesn't seem to be planning to discuss it in detail which makes me wonder if it's going to be a long-term issue for the console.  

The worst part is they had to have seen this coming.  I don't know anyone who only used the internal storage for their PS4 and/or Xbox One.  If storage was a concern for the previous generation, why wouldn't it be for the next generation?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tabe said:

*raises hand*

Really, because I have both and neither have nearly enough to keep a good rotation of game on either system.  My PS4, which is my 2nd system that I pretty much only use for Playstation exclusives, can only hold a few games at a time.  

Dammit, I just got an email saying that I won't get my Xbox tomorrow, but they hope I'll get it by the end of the year.  I just beat the last game I needed to beat before I upgraded, and now I need to find something else to do.

I've never used external storage on either PS3 or 4.  I've been solely digital on PS4, have something like 200 games in my library, have like 10 games currently installed that I/my kids are actively playing.  

My other thing is I have no issues uninstalling something when I haven't touched it in a while and will wait while installing something I'm going to play next.

Now that I platinumed GoT, I got to find something else to play until Cyberpunk stops being vaporware.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Dammit, I just got an email saying that I won't get my Xbox tomorrow, but they hope I'll get it by the end of the year.  I just beat the last game I needed to beat before I upgraded, and now I need to find something else to do.

Other folks are saying to definitely file a complaint with (I am assuming this is Amazon) as in the past Amazon will usually offer you some sort of compensation.

One dude said the same think happened to him with the XBONE and they offered him a choice of 1 of 3 options - one of them being 15% off the order.

Its definitely worth the shot

48 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Now that I platinumed GoT, I got to find something else to play until Cyberpunk stops being vaporware.

Over the quarantine, I had the ambitious plan to play the entire Trails of Cold Steel series.  At the time there were only 3 games, and all 3 are over 100 hours long.  For some reason I played Persona 5 Royal between the second and third games and spent another 170+ hours on that.  I finished Trails of Cold Steel 3 about an hour ago.  My goal was to finish this week, because I preordered the new Xbox.  Now, I have no idea what I'm going to do with all this extra time...I might even exercise.

https://kotaku.com/ps5-designer-originally-wanted-it-to-be-even-bigger-1845625681

Yes, you read that right.

The biggest console in modern gaming history started out even bigger when Sony senior art director Yujin Morisawa first put pen to paper. “In the beginning, when I started drawing, it was much larger even though I didn’t know what engineering was going to do,” Morisawa said in an interview with the Washington Post. “It’s kind of funny that engineering actually told me it’s too big. So, I actually had to shrink it down a little bit from the first drawing.”

Unless Sony Direct is going to charge and overnight ship the console literally the day before launch day, they don't have their shit together either. I had the money taken out of my account as a pre-authorization charge last Thursday and the money put back into my account Sunday night. Which I know that's how pre-orders work, but it's still weird that we're a few days away from launch, and no real movement on status of the order. It's said "Preparing to Ship" since Halloween, when they notified me that "in a couple of days" I would get a pre-authorization charge.

It sounds like Best Buy really screwed the pooch with the Xbox release. If you had store pickup, it was wonderful. Sounds like ship to residence peeps are being told it'll get to them maybe by the end of the year. I was going to try and snag one online today from them since they have the 18 mo financing. Oh well.

It does make me extra nervous about my Walmart PS5 preorder though. It's just stuck in preparing. 

I went on post this morning to try to snag an SX at the Fort Lee PXtra GameStop (they can sell to DACs), but they only had five extra consoles and I was number 6 in line... fuck...

Happy Birthday to me...  

The manager told me on the lee-low that GameStop plans to have a limited number of consoles in stores available for purchase, so I'll head back on the day after Thanksgiving to nab a box from the store on base.  I also plan on switching my 2077 reservation from XB1 to SX.

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

Really, because I have both and neither have nearly enough to keep a good rotation of game on either system.  My PS4, which is my 2nd system that I pretty much only use for Playstation exclusives, can only hold a few games at a time.  

I have a couple dozen games installed.  I do have to rotate stuff on occasion but not too much.  I have a system - I generally only play one disc-based game at a time as I hate swapping discs.  For digital, I have a bunch of games that I keep around for "I feel like playing a game for 20 minutes" times, like Pinball FX3 and Pinball Arcade.  And then I've got other digital games that I play to eventually play and beat, like King's Quest.  Under that system, 500 GB is doable but I definitely wouldn't mind having 2TB.

Lol, I was very surprised to walk through the electronics department of my local Walmart this morning and see a small pile of Xbox Series X's sitting there.  Mind you, I wasn't looking for a Series X.  I went to Walmart to buy a few supplies for the office and hot dogs and buns so I can grill my lunch.  I really wasn't planning to buy a next-gen console for awhile, but... eh... it was just sitting there and I can afford it, so....

I'm still surprised that Microsoft didn't ban in-store sales like Sony did.  Not that I think they should.  Just thought they would follow suit.  Sony's probably going to misstep yet again because I'm guessing a lot of the stock put for sale online Thursday ends up in the hands of bots and scalpers and we'll be seeing $1,000 PS5's on eBay by the weekend.

Not buying a PS5 for awhile.  Definitely not until I'm sure what the external memory and b/c situations are.  Sony claims the number of non-b/c games will be about 20, but I've heard rumors there are actually at least a few hundred non-b/c games.  Rumors were never substantiated, but Sony's done a lot to erode my blind trust lately.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 2