DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Does anyone else feel the 30 fps vs. 60 fps. thing is overrated?  II can feel a slight difference but it's never seemed significant.

It's incredibly overrated.  More important than 30 vs 60 is consistent frame rate.  Consistent 30 is way better than 40/55/60/45/60/44/52.  There are places where it might matter - fighting games and pinball games - but the vast majority of the time it's overrated.

• Like 2

Same.  Frame rate only matters to me when there's a sharp drop-off.  And even then... Dark Souls on my PS3 had a couple areas that were basically slide shows, and I still enjoyed the hell out of the game.  I have the remaster on my PS4 and it runs more consistently but I don't know that I enjoy it any more.

26 minutes ago, AxB said:

Shadow of the Colossus: Zero Dawn?

I actually meant to mention that, but didn't.  Basically, yeah.  The designers haven't been shy about the game's resemblance to Shadow of the Colossus.  It's basically meant to be Shadow of the Colossus: Nordic Edition.

Appreciate all these Sony games coming with free upgrades to PS5 if you buy the digital copy.  Makes waiting a bit for a new console a lot easier.  Apparently, Sony thinks the pandemic will convince people to hold onto their PS4's longer than they would otherwise.

Cinema was only 24 fps for like a century. It was calculated that any fewer frames, and the human eye would recognise it as a series of still images, rather than as one moving image. But historically there was no reason to use anything other than 24 FPS unless you were shooting for slow motion.

I saw a good explanation recently that if you play games more in line with Horizon or RDR2, 30 FPS 4K graphics will look fucking phenomenal and that extra processing that would otherwise go towards 60 FPS will instead be better put to use with things like draw distance and environmental detail. Personally, that sounds completely perfect to me, but yeah if you're into online gaming and fighting games and stuff that requires such precision, I understand the desire for 60. 

• Like 1

Ubisoft says that all of their PS4 titles will be playable on PS5 except Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles India, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Russia, Risk, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Werewolves Within, and Space Junkies.

I’ll be surprised if AC Syndicate doesn’t get patched or remastered for PS5.  Not sure anyone will miss the rest of that list much.

edit: Ubisoft retracted the statement, saying it may not be accurate.

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Ubisoft says that all of their PS4 titles will be playable on PS5 except Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles India, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Russia, Risk, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Werewolves Within, and Space Junkies.

I’ll be surprised if AC Syndicate doesn’t get patched or remastered for PS5.  Not sure anyone will miss the rest of that list much.

edit: Ubisoft retracted the statement, saying it may not be accurate.

Yet Assassin's Creed Unity will work on a PS5. That game is nightmare fuel.

48 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm guessing I'm going to be lost when it comes to the story if I jump into Valhalla without having played any AC games since the second one.

All good people in history are part of the Assassin's order and all bad people are templars. There you go.

I've really soured on the series. Thought 2 and Black Flag were all time great games but as it went along the more the story went up its own ass and I'm just over a million side missions and collection pieces.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm guessing I'm going to be lost when it comes to the story if I jump into Valhalla without having played any AC games since the second one.

You know who the Assassin's are, and who the Templar's are.  Last 2 games were basically the origins of the Assassin's, this one's looking like the formation of the Tempar's proper.

Outside of that, you might be lost on the Present day stuff, but really, no one outside of Ubisoft cares about the present day stuff.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Raziel said:

You know who the Assassin's are, and who the Templar's are.  Last 2 games were basically the origins of the Assassin's, this one's looking like the formation of the Tempar's proper.

Outside of that, you might be lost on the Present day stuff, but really, no one outside of Ubisoft cares about the present day stuff.

I care about the present day stuff! (I still need to Platinum ACIII so I can see what happened to Desmond)

In terms of present day AC stuff, I always preferred the games where that gameplay was radically different than the historical story.  Like the first-person 3D platooning puzzle in Revelations or the first-person espionage with hacking mini-games in Black Flag.  Any time the present day stuff was just the same as the historical stuff, except you didn’t have all you cool Assassin abilities, that just absolutely sucked and felt like a waste of time.

mIXngyd.jpg

Since I got it ten days early, I've gotten a chance to hold the PS5 controller. First thing I noticed is the weight - its not "heavy" but its noticeably heavier than the PS4 controller for those that are really used to the PS4 controller which I am. It also feels really really nice, I can't test the input lag of course but the buttons and everything feel right. Now I just have to wait til next week to use it.

One complaint is it doesn't come with a charging cord, which you'd think for $70 it would. I actually don't have any USB-C chargers as I have an old Android phone so I'll have to get a couple. Not a huge deal but come on Sony, include a $3 cord with your controllers.

On 10/31/2020 at 11:05 PM, odessasteps said:

Is AC2 or AC3 that had the Highlander 2 plot swerve?

that’s when they really lost me, though I liked the Colonial America game. 

II introduced the aliens, if that's what you're asking.  I think I watched Highlander 2 at some point but I don't remember the plot.

AC III was the game set in Colonial America.  That may be my favorite in the series (though I've enjoyed all the AC games in the main series.

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

AC III was the game set in Colonial America.  That may be my favorite in the series (though I've enjoyed all the AC games in the main series.

You're definitely the first person I've heard say that AC3 is their favorite.  I liked it a lot but put it well behind the others I've played.