DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

So what you're saying is, Nintendo consoles are the only ones that peak early and the OG XBox wasn't all that?

Well if you take away the "defined the console" thing, people could probably make arguments for launch titles being decent to good usually.

Plus it depends on how much uh flexibility we are giving. In the old days, games weren't upwards compatible, so if a killer N64 game came out after the Gamecube was out, it obviously didn't help the gamecube launch schedule. But are games like Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed immediately disqualified from being considered launch titles even though they are playable on PS5 and apparently at least on some level will be 'optimized' to take advantage of the more powerful consoles?

I'm not arguing they should count as launch titles since the box will still say PS4 but it just adds a bit of an extra layer to it that we didn't used to get with new consoles. Those two games will be absolute killers and I can't wait to play them.

Edited by Kevin Wilson
Mixed up nintendo consoles because I'm old.
  • Like 1

Has anyone played the Panzer Dragoon remake?  It's been out on Switch and PC since March.  Drops on PS4 and Xbox One Monday, so I'm considering giving it a look.

It's also been on Stadia for a couple months, I think, but i'm fairly confident no one has played it on Stadia.

After it came out that Yakuza: Like a Dragon saves from the PS4 won't transfer over to the PS5, it's now rumored that other upgradable games like Cyberpunk and AC: Valhalla (among others) will be the same way.

Games that aren't getting an upgrade are fine, and presumably games like Elder Scrolls Online or Avengers will be fine too since they're live service games, but yeah, still.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Casey said:

After it came out that Yakuza: Like a Dragon saves from the PS4 won't transfer over to the PS5, it's now rumored that other upgradable games like Cyberpunk and AC: Valhalla (among others) will be the same way.

Games that aren't getting an upgrade are fine, and presumably games like Elder Scrolls Online or Avengers will be fine too since they're live service games, but yeah, still.

I would assume it's because the PS5 is going to use a different save format than the PS4 (mostly because the PS4's save format was cracked a long time ago which is what PS4 save editors are using).

I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything about the upcoming Baldur's Gate III early access release that was scheduled for tomorrow. It was delayed a week. October 6th is the new date. For now. (I am totally fine with this. I didn't want it to come out tomorrow between the NBA finals and Dynamite. Stop with this crunch time bullshit).

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything about the upcoming Baldur's Gate III early access release that was scheduled for tomorrow. It was delayed a week. October 6th is the new date. For now. (I am totally fine with this. I didn't want it to come out tomorrow between the NBA finals and Dynamite. Stop with this crunch time bullshit).

Also, they just had a flood in there main office, so that might be pushed back as well. Fingers crossed it isn’t.

On 9/28/2020 at 5:11 PM, Casey said:

I don't really get why players expect this.  Or why purchasing the PS4 version of a game should entitle you to a free upgrade to the PS5.  PS5 is an entirely new console.  Treat it as such.  It's great if a publisher wants to give you an upgrade or make saves transferable as a perk (presumably as incentive to buy the game even if you don't intend to buy a PS5 for awhile), but expecting everyone to do it just doesn't make sense to me.  

It seems especially loopy in the case of Marvel's Spider-Man, where the PS4 game is 2 years old and the PS5 remaster seems to be getting more than the usual "fresh coat of paint" treatment.  

I kind of want to dismiss this as a "first-world problems" thing, but I feel like that would be an insult to people with first-world problems.

On 9/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, Casey said:

I think this is only a problem between the systems.  If you play Cyberpunk from the beginning on a PS5, your save is probably still going to work when the upgrade happens.

Seeing as how I got a digital edition last Friday, as soon as I get it in my hands in November, I'm switching over to the PS5 immediately. So it won't be a problem for me, but I imagine there are some people out there that it would be a problem for.

I just hope all my save data transfers over smoothly.

Given the way I play games like Cyberpunk, I'll be obsessed about it for a good week or two, start playing something else, tell myself I'll get back to it, that won't actually happen until months later, I'll have forgotten everything I did, and I'll just re-start my game. So if for some reason my game save doesn't transfer, I don't think it will be a big loss for people like me.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Regarding why Peter Parker looks different

I guess this has become a "thing" online, to the point that Insomniac's creative director put out a statement to try to head off a controversy.

I'm not a fan of remasters, but, if you're going to do it, this is the way to go: substantial changes done by the studio that made the game.  It'll be an easy buy for me when I do get a PS5, though whether I actually ever play it is another matter.  I'm thinking I'm going to replay Spider-Man this month and finish the dlc this time, then play Miles Morales in November of December.  I'm sure both games will look better on PS5, but I'm also confident the PS4 editions will be good enough to suit me.

BTW, Sony has the digital edition of Ghost of Tsushima on sale this week and next. $45 instead of $60.  Great value at either price, imo.  Amusingly, this week's Sony sale is called "Games of a Generation" but includes very few games that will make anyone's games of the generation list (I like Unravel and Blasphemous but they wouldn't be on my list).  The problem is that Sony ran a sale called Essentials at the beginning of Sept. and put a lot of the PS4's best games on sale then: Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man GotY Edition, Dreams, etc.