DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Paul Tassi at Forbes is an idiot.  He published an article which basically accused Microsoft of coercing CDPR to deliberately delay Cyberpunk 2077 so that it coincided with the release of the Series X.

Then he had to print a retraction after people informed him that there was going to be a Series X version of 2077 probably wouldn't be ready until 1Q 2021 and would be released concurrently with the enhanced version for PS5. 

The information came in mostly hurtful words.  That's why he disabled the Comments section of his article.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I work with a guy who is convinced they delayed it again because they're going to announce that it's going to be a next-gen exclusive instead of on both.

Yeah, that would be suicidal as most people pre-ordering the game might not have any intention of buying either console on launch.  They will wait for a few months to see if any firmware bugs or design flaw issues pop up before they buy in.

My sister and I held out for about a year before we switched from PS3 / 360 to PS4 / XB1 because we are both paranoid and cheap, but I think we may both purchase new gen within a couple months of release.

Edited by J.T.

Per reports - that Rocksteady is working on a Suicide Squad game

Specifically - Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League.

More supposedly will be revealed during the DC Fan Dome event in August

On 6/22/2020 at 12:33 PM, RIPPA said:

Per reports - that Rocksteady is working on a Suicide Squad game

Specifically - Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League.

More supposedly will be revealed during the DC Fan Dome event in August

The bigger question is will it actually get released? There's at least 3 or 4 games that WB Games is rumored to have ready or in development.

It's not the first time there was a rumor about Rocksteady doing a Suicide Squad game. This is the second iteriation of the game (the first was cancelled 2 years ago).

Not to mention WB Montreal doing Batman: Court of Owls (it changes from Dick Grayson as Batman to Damien Wayne as Batman every time it's mentioned).

The Harry Potter RPG that's coming as well.

Not to mention the Superman game Rocksteady is doing. The generation is almost up and except for Mortal Kombat 10/11 and Arkham Knight, WB hasn't really released anything that's a new game.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am all in, dude.  I'll probably have to watch it on one of the Comcast laptops since the NEC has killed streaming sites on the base's network for the time being since a lot of staff on site are teleworking from the personal residences on post.

6PM CEST is Noon EDT / 9AM PDT here in the states, guys.

Edited by J.T.

Night City Wire was 100% fucking awesome, but the new trailer (The Gig) is chock full of story spoilers so I'm not going to post it here.  Watch it at your own peril.  Let's just say I'm rethinking my reluctance to getting extreme augmentations if there are no plans to introduce cyberpsychosis into the game.

Lots of really good info in first episode and the gameplay graphics are looking very polished.  Melee combat doesn't look as clunky as it used to.

Braindance is going to be an interesting feature.  

I'm totally pumped for November!

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Didn’t they say everything shown in the trailer was from the prologue?

If they did, then that's bullshit.  The prologue should cover the rescue mission and the Maelstrom job from the 48 minute gameplay vid.  The job in the trailer is the pivotal mission that gets V in trouble with Dexter DeShawn.  All of Jackie's dialogue in the trailer is obviously from the meet with Dex at the nightclub after the Maelstrom job.

I know it's going to happen since the second trailer is the cutscene from the screwjob in Dexter's apartment, but I don't need to see combat gameplay from the fucking Arasaka heist in the trailer because it's already been spoiled.

The girl with the blue hair is a member of The Mox and encountering her is certainly not from the prologue.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If they did, then that's bullshit.  The prologue should cover the rescue mission and the Maelstrom job from the 48 minute gameplay vid.  The job in the trailer is the pivotal mission that gets V in trouble with Dexter DeShawn.  All of Jackie's dialogue in the trailer is obviously from the meet with Dex at the nightclub after the Maelstrom job.

I know it's going to happen since the second trailer is the cutscene from the screwjob in Dexter's apartment, but I don't need to see combat gameplay from the fucking Arasaka heist in the trailer because it's already been spoiled.

The girl with the blue hair is a member of The Mox and encountering her is certainly not from the prologue.

CD Projekt Red released a new trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 during its Night City Wire livestream on Thursday, offering a glitzy, high-energy look at Night City and its colorful inhabitants. And don’t worry — if you’re concerned about story spoilers for Cyberpunk 2077, the developer says that all footage from the new trailer is taken from the game’s prologue.

The footage from the Arasaka job is brand spanking new so why shouldn't we worry about spoilers even if it is considered to be "prologue?" 

The details of the Arasaka job mission have never been put out there even though we know the aftermath (Jackie is killed, Dex fucks us over, We meet Johnny Silverhand).  Just because I know what's going to happen after the job does not mean I want to see gameplay of the actual mission.  I'd like to encounter some of these things first hand while I'm playing the game.

It's bad enough that the first 48 minute gameplay video is a bona fide walkthrough of the first two missions and it's a walkthrough of the most optimal outcome since we know from the very first trailer that you can actually provoke a firefight with Trauma Team if you don't play your cards right.

I feel that I already know too much about the prologue as it is and I won't be able to play this game for another five months.  I don't really need to see any more shit.

Edited by J.T.

It seems like you knew way too much about the game even before yesterday, though? Unless Night City Wire dropped all that info. Like, I have no clue who Dex, or Jackie, or what the Trauma Team is, or what Arasaka is. Maybe I'm not paying attention.

But this is only the second trailer I've seen. I'm not watching gameplay, especially almost an hour's worth. That's just dangerous.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

It seems like you knew way too much about the game even before yesterday, though? 

I played Cyberpunk 2020 pen & paper with friends for a little over a year before this game was announced, so I'm pretty familiar with the game world.  Dex and Jackie are new characters created by CDPR for the video game, but Trauma Team, Johnny Silverhand and his band, Samurai, and Arasaka Corporation have always been elements of the pen & paper system.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

But this is only the second trailer I've seen. I'm not watching gameplay, especially almost an hour's worth. That's just dangerous.

I think there are three trailers total: this one, the screw job at Dexter's apartment ("Wake up, Samurai.  We've got a city to burn"), and the one with the police putting down a rogue female cyborg (which makes me hope that cyberpsychosis is a feature in the game).

There are two gameplay videos and both are equally dangerous unless you're one of the nerdy few who have played the pen & paper game and won't be terribly surprised by the revelations.  I don't mind hearing about stuff I'm already familiar with from playing pen & paper, but the trailers are beginning to drill into the core story of the video game itself and that's what particularly concerns me.

Edited by J.T.