DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

How about we just get a complete reboot where there is no Altair or genetic memories and what not?

And go full bore into "alternate history" shit:  You're a former slave who escaped from a plantation and were eventually recruited into the Assassins.  Now you must sneak into famous Civil War battlefields and assassinate Robert E. Lee, Jeb Stuart, Nathan Bedford Forrest, etc.  And in the final mission, you must sneak into heavily fortified Richmond and kill Jefferson Davis.

This.   I like the franchise quite a bit, but it's always seemed a no-brainer to just do away with the metastory and do period adventures (they have leaned hard in that direction with the last few games).

I'm still amazed that someone didn't think that "you play as a member of a secret society during the crusades and carry out assassinations against a rival, evil secret society" was enough of a hook and decided the game would sell better if they crowbar'd in a backstory where you're really a cosplaying bartender.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

A sequel for Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order has been announced for 2022

They should recycle the blonde Imperial woman from The Force Unleashed games as the love interest for the sequel, now that TFU is non-canon.

She was the only memorable part of those games.

9 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

How about we just get a complete reboot where there is no Altair or genetic memories and what not?

And go full bore into "alternate history" shit:  You're a former slave who escaped from a plantation and were eventually recruited into the Assassins.  Now you must sneak into famous Civil War battlefields and assassinate Robert E. Lee, Jeb Stuart, Nathan Bedford Forrest, etc.  And in the final mission, you must sneak into heavily fortified Richmond and kill Jefferson Davis.

You just made an entire game out of the part of Mafia 3 where I am a mulatto gang leader feeding racist gangsters to alligators.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I have some of the recent games, but my enthusiasm for Assassins Creed  came to an end when they introduced the whole alien thing (aka The Highlander Mistake). 

I have never played Assassin's Creed 1, but the alien stuff was there already in AC2, so the game where the series actually became hot.

If Assassin's Creed Valhalla has PS4 version coming, then I'm getting that.

I'm not getting the PS5 -- I have a backlog that extends to PS3 and only been recently Platinum'ing PS3 games if you've been following my trophy hunting. By the time I complete my collection, I'm either a) going to be dead or b) the PS9 will be out.

Edited by Andrew POE!

Just to double back quickly - Sony released a statement saying that they have identified who the leakers of Last of Us II are and that they are not affiliated with Naughty Dog or Sony nor are they former employees or contractors of either company

Take that as you will

42 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Even with 51 gams, someone’s favorite will be missed. 

Fair.  And while my two favorites are out, there's a lot to like there.  The "toy" action games are all very interesting to me, and there are enough card and board games that I DO want that it's a disappointment but not a dealbreaker.

4 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Me at lunchtime: Oh cool, there's a new Clubhouse Games out next month!

Me on watching the trailer ten minutes later:  Fuck do you MEAN they didn't do the Battleship and Stratego clones?

Nothing beats Battleship on the Amiga 500!

On 5/1/2020 at 5:58 PM, RIPPA said:

Just to double back quickly - Sony released a statement saying that they have identified who the leakers of Last of Us II are and that they are not affiliated with Naughty Dog or Sony nor are they former employees or contractors of either company

Take that as you will

Sooooo...is it North Korea coming at Sony again?

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Last of Us 2 leak due to hackers

https://kotaku.com/hackers-are-likely-responsible-for-the-last-of-us-ii-le-1843230805

I so resisted the urge to write Dutch hackers

Meanwhile, hackers put a crapload of Nintendo data on the net.  Source code for multiple old consoles (Wii, Gamecube, a couple others), code for games, debug versions of old Pokemon games, more

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/massive_nintendo_leak_reveals_all_about_the_wii_generation_-_source_code_design_files_and_much_more

But, nooooo..   Let's talk about TLoU II spoilers.

I'm still spoiler-free for the game.  Not even making an effort to avoid spoilers.  At this point, I think I can remain spoiler-free until mid-June unless someone here puts spoilers up with the spoiler tag.

11 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I'm still spoiler-free for the game.  Not even making an effort to avoid spoilers.  At this point, I think I can remain spoiler-free until mid-June unless someone here puts spoilers up with the spoiler tag.

tenor.gif?itemid=4964648

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Because there is a difference between a major upcoming AAA release title and code for old games?

Honestly, the Nintendo leak seems more major to me, given how much data was stolen and released.  I guess people probably care more about TLoU, though.

I'm actually kind of curious about what the story spoilers are.  I've seen a number of people say the spoilers have them more interested in the game.  Though the director has been sayong on social media that there are a lot of false rumors about the game.  Could be misdirection though.

Also, didn't see it mentioned, but physical editions of The Wonderful 101 remaster are delayed until end of June.  Digital edition still released this month.

Yeah,  Night City Wire will be held on the day which roughly corresponded to E3 Weekend before E3 was cancelled.

No word on what to expect from the event.  Maybe a new trailer or more game footage.  I don't expect a playable demo anytime soon.

One confirmation is that the multiplayer element won't be ready any sooner than 2022 and the expanded versions for XB1-X and PS5 won't be available at console launch all thanks to the COVID-19 lockdown.

Edited by J.T.

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh my god Sacred. The most awful voice acting, bland music, and non-existant plot but with the best mechanics. I hate that I keep wanting to get the first game again so I can run across the map with an insta-kill helmet and watch things die.

And here I was hoping that THQ would use the Saint's Row:  The Third engine for a new Red Faction or Painkiller game..  Oh well.

Edited by J.T.

I mean it is technically all still in the same company - so something like that could probably still happen

It won't but the probability is greater than zero

http://epicstream.com/news/NicoParungo/Cyberpunk-2077-Lets-Players-Customize-Their-Genitals

I am so ready for this game.  This shit is fucking crazy.  I am impressed that for better or worse, CDPR may have remembered that Mr. Studd and Midnight Lady (cybernetic sexual augmentation packages) were actual things in the pen and paper game and imported them into the video game.

How in the hell did a game with this feature avoid a ban in Australia?

I cannot under any circumstances allow anyone to watch me create my character, especially my daughter..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2