DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Nintendo is reportedly planning to release remasters of most of the games in the Super Mario. Bros. series and announce new ones to mark the plumber’s 35th anniversary.

That news comes from a report by the British gaming website Video Games Chronicle, which says the remasters are to be revealed alongside new information about the Super Nintendo World theme park and animated Super Mario movie Nintendo is working on with Universal Studios. The reveal was originally supposed to happen at E3 in June, VGC reports, but will now be rolled out differently due to the trade show’s cancellation amid the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

While Video Games Chronicle didn’t mention which specific games would get remasters, it did say that the anniversary celebration will feature a new Paper Mario. The first Super Mario Bros. was first released back in 1985 for the NES. 

YSquare Enix announced that an enhanced version of NieR (the prequel to Automata from the same creators but not published by PlatinumGames) would be coming to PC, Steam, and PS4 later this year:

https://www.gamesradar.com/theres-an-upgraded-nier-replicant-coming-to-pc-ps4-and-xbox-one-later-this-year/

The release specifies NieR Replicant,, so I assume it's based on the Japanese release.  Back in 2010, Square was concerned the game was too anime-influenced for Western audiences, so the international versions of the game replaced the lead character with an older character (basically, the lead character became the girl's father instead of brother).

PlatinumGames has been hinting they'll have another game announcement soon, later this week.

Hoping the Mario Switch rumors are true.  Would love a remastered version of Super Mario Sunshine and really want a version of Galaxy with a different control scheme.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

Nintendo talking about remasters of Mario games when all I want are remasters of Ocarina of Time, maybe Majoras Mask, and Wind Waker on the Switch.

I probably would spend $50 for a remastered Ocarina of Time. I want to play it again and I want my daughter to play it since she loved BotW and Link's Awakening. Same goes for Wind Waker.

8 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I hate life right now. ? Why Sony couldn't just say 'fuck it' and release it on the original dates anyway, pandemic be damned, I dunno. I guess they don't want people being too sick to play their games from this stupid virus.

I honestly don't buy the logistics excuse. Persona 5 Royal, Nioh 2, Resident Evil 3, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 all came out during this pandemic within weeks of each other. No, you can't walk into a Gamestop or a Best Buy to get them, but there are ways to get them. Sony could release Iron Man VR and TLOU Part II under the same conditions and would likely have the same results with their sales.

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I hate life right now. ? Why Sony couldn't just say 'fuck it' and release it on the original dates anyway, pandemic be damned, I dunno. I guess they don't want people being too sick to play their games from this stupid virus.

I guess they could do an all-digital release, but I read it as the factories to make blu-rays/DVDs are all shut down right now.

You could also argue that they decided that releasing a game about living in a post-pandemic world might not exactly be the distraction people were looking for at this time.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

It's my understanding it's more because they can't get the ESRB rating

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

You could also argue that they decided that releasing a game about living in a post-pandemic world might not exactly be the distraction people were looking for at this time.

This would be the reason I put down The Division 2 for a while.

Although I'm still going to start Resident Evil 3 today...

12 hours ago, JLSigman said:

It's my understanding it's more because they can't get the ESRB rating

A gaming journalist told me the same thing.  

One hand, I'm fine with it.  I'm not usually a "day one" guy unless I'm buying a limited collectible edition (as is the case here), and I find the idea of playing a game about the fall of the world after a pandemic way too creepppyyy.  On the other hand, it's just one more reminder how off-kilter the world is and my frayed nerves desperately need some signs of normalcy, even if they're tiny signs.

Postponing Ghosts of Tsushima will probably affect me more.  I don't mind waiting, but everything is so crazy right now that I don't have any confident about when - or if - the games will be released.  At the moment, Ghosts and TLoU Pt. 2 never being released would not surprise me in the slightest.

I am actually really surprised that, as far as I can tell, not one of the major MMOS/big multiplayer online games that work on a cycle of putting out new content every 2-4 months has announced any major delays in their content cycle. It seems utterly impossible to me they could all have polished, debugged content in the can.

11 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I am actually really surprised that, as far as I can tell, not one of the major MMOS/big multiplayer online games that work on a cycle of putting out new content every 2-4 months has announced any major delays in their content cycle. It seems utterly impossible to me they could all have polished, debugged content in the can.

I suspect it's because most of it can be done remotely. FF XIV is releasing the 5.25 update Tuesday, but there's no hint yet of when 5.3 will drop. 

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Saints Row The Third Remastered

Okay... sure?????

Volition: We're sorry Agents of Mayhem sucked, really sorry.  Here, have a remastered version of SRIII so that you remember how awesome we can make shit so you buy SRV

• Haha 1

That DualSense looks pretty cool, but I still hate the thumbstick layout and probably always will. If there was a way to use an Xbox controller on the PlayStation I'd be in heaven.