DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I always wait until about 2 years into a generation before I buy to let them work out the kinks and for there to be an actual library of titles.  It's also about the time you start seeing price drops or regular sales.

It also gives me an opportunity to clear out some of my previous-gen backlog.  I never actually do, but it's nice to have the opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have a year old gaming pc that rarely gets used, so I will prob transition to that eventually. 

Of course, right now, i also have my Japanese Dreamcast hooked up just in case I want to play Giant Gram or Fire Pro. 

I only made it through ten minutes of the tech reveal video until I had to tap out. The gamechanger is, *drumm-roll*, an SSD. As if they could have brought a new console on the market WITHOUT an SSD.

The overview at the beginning could also have been summed up with "a better CPU + GPU and more RAM then PS4, still building on an x86 platform using the same FreeBSD fork as OS as before, probably similar APIs as PS4 and now with an SSD".

Edited by Robert s

I watched about 45 minutes before I had to drop off for a meeting, but it seemed very underwhelming in explanation yet exciting in possible application. What made the PS4 reveal work was they showed something exhibiting the games' visuals.

I don't know if anyone caught this but only 100 PS4 games will be backwards compatible on the PS5 and the system actually may run the games almost too fast. So it'll be forced slowdown by design, rather than by failure.

So not all of PS4 games, no PS3/PS2/PS1 games as backwards compatible.

The thing is the GPU is a bit underpowered compared to Xbox Series X but the throughput is faster and the data collection seems faster. The lead-in time to develop is aiming to be less than a month, which is great. Maybe actual games will be better at launch instead of endless day 1 patches. How multiplatform games will look on both systems remains to be seen.

Either way, I won't be getting the Xbox Series X or the PS5.

10 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I don't know if anyone caught this but only 100 PS4 games will be backwards compatible on the PS5 and the system actually may run the games almost too fast. So it'll be forced slowdown by design, rather than by failure.

That's not accurate.  He said that they *tested* 100 games and that most of them work.  They don't have an actual number yet.  They also didn't go into how the current PSN "upscales" of the PS2/3 games will work.  So that's still up in the air.

There was a bit where he went into that instead of emulator on a chip like they tried to do with PS3, they're doing a different method with the backwards stuff, which means it won't be ripped out to lower costs, as the new method is logical (I think they're already doing this with the PS4 to a degree, but I never dove into how the PSN Classics stuff works)

41 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

GmeStop is releasing Doom Eternal a day early (today) in an attempt to thin the store traffic.  Doom Eternal releases today, Animal Crossing tomorrow.

They also cancelled their midnight release events for both of those games.

I know a ton of people who have canceled their Amazon orders for one or both of those because of the expected delays and just went with digital versions.

Word now is that a lot of the Animal Crossing Amazon pre-orders are giving a delivery date as late as Tuesday.  

I got excited about the prospect of getting Doom Eternal early until I realized I would have to go to a Game Stop to get it so fuck that.

I'll just get it off of PSN and I might just get Animal Crossing of the eShop.

CDPR has a lot of the Cyberpunk 2077 staff on mandatory telework or satellite location development.   If this results in a further delay, I may have to harm another human being.

I'll wear latex gloves and a mask, though.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, CSC said:

I know a ton of people who have canceled their Amazon orders for one or both of those because of the expected delays and just went with digital versions.

Word now is that a lot of the Animal Crossing Amazon pre-orders are giving a delivery date as late as Tuesday.  

Amazon is swamped with orders and having trouble keeping up.  Delivery time for Amazon Prime members is generally about 5 days (it’s usually 1-2).

Also, for the next several weeks, they are mostly only taking delivery of items related to the coronavirus panic: hand sanitizer, paper products, etc.

Best Buy seems to be doing well with stock of new games.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, The Man Known as Dan said:

Being real, I just have wrote off any game coming out this year that wasn’t basically 100% finished already. Too much pressure on major video game companies to shut down.

I do hope Last of Us 2 drops on time, for instance, but in no way expect it.

I'm curious how closely they can hold to schedule, especially on things that are fairly far along.  I'm a hardware designer, so I don't really know enough about game development to know how much they can do remotely. For us, any task we can do at work can be done over VPN just as easily, though obviously the disruption does have some effects.  Management is trying to hold us to our current schedules, though I don't know how realistic that will be.  I think they've realized that stuff that is further away from completion will probably have to push schedule, and that they'll need to shift resources to the nearer term stuff.

• Like 1

Cyberpunk 2077 news:

Cyberpunk 2077 fans don't have to wait very long for their first taste of the dystopian world.

While the Cyberpunk 2077 release date remains as September 17 on PS4, Xbox One and PC, fans will be treated to a special bonus in June.

Indeed, according to Dark Horse Books, a new Cyberpunk 2077 compendium will be available from June 17.

The upcoming companion book will provide fans with a closer look at the lore of Cyberpunk 2077.

"Dark Horse Books and CD Projekt Red present The World of Cyberpunk 2077 - an extensive examination of the rich lore of a dystopian epic," reads the official description.

"Learn all about the history of the neon-tinted districts of Night City!

"Examine cybernetics, weapons, characters and more in this intricate fusion of art and lore thats a necessity for fans of the hit RPG video game, Cyberpunk 2077!"

and if you need nerd bling for your geek cave and have oodles of money to spend:

New images have been released of PureArts’ super detailed 1/6 scale Cyberpunk 2077 figures, this time featuring the female version of V. The company has also announced a figure version of the Yaiba Kusanagi Sportbike, though images of the bike are not yet available.

3646393-v-boy-girl-goodlogo.jpg

The female V model will come with the same light-up jacket as the male one, but has a different weapon--the Kang Tao G-58 Dian. Notably the female model doesn’t get the cool Mantis blade arm that the male has.

The Sportbike also comes with a heap of over-the-top detailing, including rolling wheels and front and back light options.

The bike will be sold as a bundle with either figure for $599.

If that’s not expensive enough for you, you can buy the Ultimate Bundle, a pack with both male and female figures, the bike, and a bonus Spider Bot for $799.

Pre-orders made before March 31 will get a 10% discount, and the first 250 pre-orders will get a Spider Bot as well--making the price just slightly more reasonable. If that's still outside your budget, there's still plenty of merch available for CD Projekd Red games.

Edited by J.T.

Good news for us CDPR / Cyberpunk 2077 fanatics:

• CDPR does not expect any further release date delays despite mandatory telework and remote site work.
  • Demos have been released for review to the rating boards of several countries.   Could be switched from RP to the expected M very soon.   Good sign that release schedule is still on point.
  • CDPR recently donated $1 Million to COVID-19 relief efforts.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

For anyone that is interested, the Resident Evil Resistance (RE3's multiplayer DBD style game) Open Beta goes live on Friday at 7:00 EST and until the game proper releases on the 3rd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

For anyone that is interested, the Resident Evil Resistance (RE3's multiplayer DBD style game) Open Beta goes live on Friday at 7:00 EST and until the game proper releases on the 3rd.

I would think that anyone stuck at home would be interested which means all of us, I guess.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

I would think that anyone stuck at home would be interested which means all of us, I guess.

Well I don't know who's interested in RE games anymore.  3's Demo was good, plays exactly like 2 except Nemmy is fucking frightening and the Dodge mechanic is so good I wish it was in 2.  

I watched some RE Ambassadors playing REsistance during the Closed Beta a few months ago, and it looks promising, although I'm really hoping for more Masterminds and maps than just the 1 lab that was in the Closed Beta.