DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

Why? Black Friday only benefits corporations, it's not like the workers are enjoying a surge in profits. And usually, it would require them to go into work on a holiday and deal with a massive crowd of people. And then there's the entire thing of most BF prices actually show up earlier in the year at various times, but it's pushed heavily when the biggest retail shopping day of the year comes.

Because Black Friday is enjoyable for a lot of people (probably not employees, admittedly).  It's a tradition for millions of families to go out and shop together on Black Friday.  This was the first Thanksgiving since my kids were too young to go that my whole family didn't go out to shop on Black Friday with a couple of our friends' families and my kids grandparents.  I'll probably never get to have that tradition again since my youngest in in college and my oldest just graduated university and is moving cross country come January.

Actually, i worked retail when I was in college and generally enjoyed the holiday season.  I don't think my co-workers hated it that much.

I am mildly amused that you ignored my good deed for the day to call me out for liking a holiday tradition. 

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Did Gamestop open at dawn for Black Friday shoppers?  I kind of assumed they wouldn't 'cause, y'know, pandemic and the fact that they've had their Black Friday deals online for almost a week, but a friend of mine tried to score a game console for his kid and was in line at Gamestop before dawn.  Apparently, someone came out and told the 100+ people in line that the store only had two of whatever console he was looking for in stock and most of the throng went.

Nope.  Gamestop opened at the usual time today or so my homie that manages the Ft. Lee location said.  

And yes, he only got in two PS5s and seven SXs so most of the crowd stomped off in anger after the announcement.  

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

With the pandemic forcing so much stock to be sold online, I wonder how many units actually get purchased by players.  eBay has thousands (tens of thousands?) of the each major console online but the markups are generally nuts.  Scalper culture is really thriving this year.

It's hard to tell how many consoles sold by traditional retailers will actually end up in the hands of players.  Bots are literally scooping up consoles faster than normal people can put them in their carts.  Not all bots are bad, as there are some sites like Hot Stock you can log into and set up search parameters to alert you when retailers have an item you're looking for.  Unfortunately you have to be broad with your search terms.  If you are looking for a PS5, your bot will only search for PS5s.  It will not search for PS5 bundles and the only way you might be able to get a console in your hands is to spend a little extra money for the bundle.

I don't blame the scalpers so much as I do the retailers that don't utilize the technology to weed out the good bots that assist bargain hunting consumers from the bad bots that snatch consoles up in record time.  The retailers don't seem to care how their product gets bought as long as it's bought. 

Such is the real problem with a 100% online model.  If these consoles were being sold at a brick & mortar store, we could at least expect a responsible retailer to implement a one system per household policy so that supply was distributed in a more equitable manner even though it is dog eat dog when it comes to shopping in person.  

It also doesn't help that console manufacturers don't seem to be honestly attempting to supply the demand for units after pre-ordering, but that's an entirely different rant entirely.  The price that scalpers are able to command on auction sites is a near direct result of the lack of alternative supply. 

We won't even go into the nightmare of pandemic logistics and porch piracy.  I've also heard reports of gangs hijacking Amazon and FedEx vans in the hope that they are delivering consoles to people's houses.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Nope.  Gamestop opened at the usual time today or so my homie that manages the Ft. Lee location said.  

And yes, he only got in two PS5s and seven SXs so most of the crowd stomped off in anger after the announcement.  

Thanks.  That's what I thought, but I didn't check.  Shrug.  Somehow, someone I know ended up in a line at 6:30 or before and somehow they were told that the store only had 2 of whichever console he was looking for.  Maybe that's why the line was under 100 people.  

(I know what time it was because, at 6:48 AM , the guy texted me a picture of his early morning Black Friday haul: a loaf of bread, a cup of coffee, and a whatever was in the Dunking Donuts bag.  He mentioned Walmart too, which makes sense.  Local Walmarts opened at 6, I think, and both Walmarts in the area have a Gamestop in the same shopping plaza).

I've been watching stock on all three major consoles lately just out of curiosity.  This is my first exposure to this sort of thing.  As I said a page or two back, I tried to buy a Switch from Walmart Wed night and every batch they put up was sold in the time it took me to click the page reload button and add the item to my cart, so... 10 secs maybe?

If anyone's looking for a Switch, Best Buy's been restocking frequently and usually takes a couple hours to sell out stock.  Guess bots don't shop at Best Buy.  It probably helps that they seem to add stock late at night EST and don't sell out till 8 AM or so.  The other retailers I've checked seemed to get cleaned out immediately.

I feel bad for actual players who would legitimately be thrilled to score a new console, or parents whose kids really want a PS5 or whatever.  eBay is there, but the markup on even the Switch is usually nuts.  I'm kinda afraid to check PS5 and Xbox prices on eBay.  Some of the markups are staggering and it's hard to believe anyone pays those prices (for the time being, I'm checking my outrage and pretending $2,000 is a high, but somewhat reasonable price to pay for a PS5).

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

We won't even go into the nightmare of pandemic logistics and porch piracy.  I've also heard reports of gangs hijacking Amazon and FedEx vans in the hope that they are delivering consoles to people's houses.

Heck, Amazon just fired a driver for recognizing a PS5 console and not delivering it.

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

eBay is there, but the markup on even the Switch is usually nuts.  I'm kinda afraid to check PS5 and Xbox prices on eBay.  Some of the markups are staggering and it's hard to believe anyone pays those prices (for the time being, I'm checking my outrage and pretending $2,000 is a high, but somewhat reasonable price to pay for a PS5).

SX and PS5 prices on eBay are strange.  Scalpers are trying to rake in 100% profit and are trying to keep the auction price of the consoles somewhere between $1K and $1200, but you can see the pushback from some buyers.  A lot of sellers who aren't setting reserves are only seeing people offer about $750.  That's still about 50% profit and one helluva convenience fee, but maybe not as outrageously stupid as paying twice the market value.  

I am currently playing the eBay game just to see what happens.   I haven't gone higher than $600 for my bidding price and I am constantly being outbid.  I wish buyers would just let some of these auctions bottom out to bring the average asking price down, but I have a feeling that I am competing against desperate parents and day one gamers rather than folks with a good grasp of economics.   

Hopefully buyers will realize how much power they have when they react to blatant price gouging by telling sellers to keep their overpriced shit, but there is always some desperate asshole somewhere who will break ranks and cave in.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I just ordered my Series X through Best Buy.  It won't be here until December 2nd and I'll have to travel halfway across the city to get it, but at least I scored.  I opted to go pick it up in person rather than stand guard at my porch for UPS to arrive, granted that the driver did not steal my shit.

Bless you, retail bot.

I am not sure about the PS5s but if you hustle and put in your order now, you might be able to get your hands on the console of your preference before supply runs out.

UPDATE:  Bwah.  It looks like BB Is still sold out of PS5s.  Sorry, guys.

Edited by J.T.

Well, my reliably unreliable contact at WalMart tells me that his store just got in a shipment of SXs and PS5s, but most likely they will only be made available for online sales and the stores are being used as distro points for customers to come and pick up their purchases.

If you are still in the market for a console, I'd get up extra early on Cyber Monday and haunt the website of your preferred retailer.  Just because you manage to make it to checkout doesn't mean that the closest store will be available as your pick-up point.  You might be in for a bit of a road trip.

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

Thank god there will be something new to play next Thursday.  I wonder if anything else is releasing on the 10th.

Avengers DLC on the 7th is SURELY what you’re referring to, right?

Its easier for this to be here

Casey Hudson, GM, BioWare and Mark Darrah, Executive Producer, Dragon Age are both leaving the company

My reaction: so much for Dragon Age 4 and the next Mass Effect game

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

My reaction: so much for Dragon Age 4 and the next Mass Effect game

I’m also excited to announce Christian Dailey, who joined BioWare from Blizzard, will be leading our Dragon Age project currently in development.

Yup, I'm out.

I picked up my Series X today!  It's still in the box because my schedule sucks and I am working 1600-0000 until the 14th.  I'll set it up tomorrow morning.

I'll pick up Cyberpunk 2077 when GameStop opens first thing in the morning next Tuesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

I’m also excited to announce Christian Dailey, who joined BioWare from Blizzard, will be leading our Dragon Age project currently in development.

Yup, I'm out.

What's the story with Dailey?  Most people think he'll be a solid leader, but admit that he doesn't have the creative anima that Hudson does.   Frankly, Bioware could stand to have a leader that knows how to devote time to task.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

What's the story with Dailey?  Most people think he'll be a solid leader, but admit that he doesn't have the creative anima that Hudson does.   Frankly, Bioware could stand to have a leader that knows how to devote time to task.

It's more concern about him coming from Blizzard, and that he was working on Anthem before being promoted over to DA4. Neither of those fill me with any kind of confidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

It's more concern about him coming from Blizzard, and that he was working on Anthem before being promoted over to DA4. Neither of those fill me with any kind of confidence.

Yeah, those are not money moves.  I'm guessing that he got put on Anthem because they hoped Dailey's Blizzard pedigree would help them get Anthem's MMO'ish model over. but that did not happen.

Frankly, I have no clue why Bioware would make Dailey the lead for DA4.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

Should any particular person at Bioware be blamed for Anthem? I always got the feeling the issue was more with EA itself, and that Anthem was somewhat forced upon them.

EA is responsible for publishing and timetables.   Bioware is responsible for development.  There is shared blame.

I don't believe that EA "forced" Anthem on Bioware, but I do believe that EA leveraged Bioware into trying to make Anthem a game that it wasn't supposed to be.  It has the look and mechanics of a classic Bioware third person RPG and EA got Bioware to develop it as a looter shooter.  I honestly think that Anthem was originally supposed to be an RPG.

I also believe that EA kept Bioware to an unreasonable timetable since I think that Bioware had to scrap Anthem's original trajectory for the new development path, and Bioware was not able to regain the development time it lost during the RPG development phase.

That's why Anthem sucks.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

EA is responsible for publishing and timetables.   Bioware is responsible for development.  There is shared blame.

I don't believe that EA "forced" Anthem on Bioware, but I do believe that EA leveraged Bioware into trying to make Anthem a game that it wasn't supposed to be.  It has the look and mechanics of a classic Bioware third person RPG and EA got Bioware to develop it as a looter shooter.  I honestly think that Anthem was originally supposed to be an RPG.

I also believe that EA kept Bioware to an unreasonable timetable since I think that Bioware had to scrap Anthem's original trajectory for the new development path, and Bioware was not able to regain the development time it lost during the RPG development phase.

That's why Anthem sucks.

I think it was always supposed to be a multiplayer to a degree, but yeah I recall there being a game in development after DAI came out that eventually got scrapped. I think it was whatever they originally planned for Anthem. That was why I was wondering if Bioware should really be blamed as the rug was kind of pulled from out under them on that.