DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I think mine was shipped today and I won't be getting it until next Thursday or so it says. Not sure as Best Buy hasn't sent out an email but I got one from Canada Post saying there's an expedited shipment coming from Ontario. A week late but certainly better than next year, if that's indeed the case.

54 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Mine came today, but I'm not gonna fuck with it for a little while. Some people are having some very serious issues so once those are patched, I'll hool it up and "get it ready" for Xmas. 

If you're talking about the screen going in and out, that's most likely due to a lot of people using the HDMI 2.1 cord on TVs that don't accept 2.1

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

If you're talking about the screen going in and out, that's most likely due to a lot of people using the HDMI 2.1 cord on TVs that don't accept 2.1

I've seen some people apparently "soft brick" it and it having to do with rest mode, the LAN port, etc etc... I'll give it a few minutes for the dust to settle ? plus I don't have a hell of a lot of time tonight anyhow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I've seen some people apparently "soft brick" it and it having to do with rest mode, the LAN port, etc etc... I'll give it a few minutes for the dust to settle ? plus I don't have a hell of a lot of time tonight anyhow.

Am I the only one that never used rest mode on the PS4?

Samurai action games Nioh 1 and 2 are getting next-gen upgrades, including graphical enhancements and higher framerates, on PS5 come February 5.

In a post on the PlayStation Blog, Team Ninja creative director Tom Lee writes that both games will support 4K, run at 120 FPS, have much faster load times, and let players bring their saves over from the PS4 versions of the game. Nioh’s combat is extremely fast with a varied set of stances, and I can’t even begin to imagine how much it would benefit from double the framerate it ran at on a base PS4.

In addition to the combined collection, both games will also be sold as standalone remasters with all of their respective DLC. For Nioh 2, players will be able to upgrade from the PS4 version to the PS5 remaster for free, minus any DLC they haven’t bought. There’s no word on Nioh 1 at this point, so I suspect the same won’t apply.

Lee also revealed that Nioh 2's third and final piece of DLC, called The First Samurai, will come out on December 17. And in a separate post on Twitter, Koei Tecmo announced Nioh 2 will also finally arrive on PC the same day as the remastered collection.

• Like 1

So, I think the Target thing about not selling them in person was bullshit, I guess?

I went to Target at opening and a guy waited in line from 5am-8am and got the only PS5 they had in stock.  There wasn't an internet purchase here, because why wait?

I got mine direct from Sony with a nice thank you card that also got you some free avatars.  I really like what I've played so far, which are the following:

Astro's Playroom (neat exhibition of tech with fun callouts to Playstation history.  The zipper thing with the remote feels so much like a real zipper that it's fucking nuts, man).

Spider-Man remastered (it loaded before Miles Morales, which still has some time to DL) - LOOKS FUCKING GREAT.  Seems like you might be webslinging faster as well, since I seem to be getting to places before conversations end that are supposed to take as long as the trip there does.  Some Dualsense clickyness feelings on the lab puzzles that make them feel nice.

Watch Dogs Legion - more loady than a PS5 game should be, but much better than the semi horrendous PS4 load times that felt like playing Morrowind or some shit (They aren't that bad but they FELT that bad).  The operatives look more like human beings and you can see that more effort was placed into well, everything for this version.  The PS4 game is kind of ugly.  This actually looks really good, especially at night.  

The only actual PS5 game I've played so far is Astro's Playroom. I loved the VR version, I love this one too, but I really hate the spring and rolling ball mechanics. Well, I mean, it's cool as fuck, don't get me wrong, but I hate it because I suck at it. ? As for PS4 games I've tried - Ratchet & Clank and Crash Bandicoot. I have no frame of reference since I didn't play them on PS4, so I've got no clue if they're any better on the PS5, but I fuckin' love R&C. Crash is... Crash. Very frustrating game, but brings me back to my childhood playing it on PS1. 

I think next week I'm going to get Miles Morales and Black Ops Cold War. I really want to try a next-gen FPS with this controller.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

The only actual PS5 game I've played so far is Astro's Playroom. I loved the VR version, I love this one too, but I really hate the spring and rolling ball mechanics. Well, I mean, it's cool as fuck, don't get me wrong, but I hate it because I suck at it. ? As for PS4 games I've tried - Ratchet & Clank and Crash Bandicoot. I have no frame of reference since I didn't play them on PS4, so I've got no clue if they're any better on the PS5, but I fuckin' love R&C. Crash is... Crash. Very frustrating game, but brings me back to my childhood playing it on PS1. 

I think next week I'm going to get Miles Morales and Black Ops Cold War. I really want to try a next-gen FPS with this controller.

Warzone got a NextGen update if you want to play that for free. I think Apex Legends maybe did as well.

I think I’m going to end up waiting on the PS5, too. I can wait until after I’m done with my Master’s program (which should be mid-August-ish) and give myself some time to actually play the damn thing.

Dont know if I’ll end up with both systems at any point, but if a new Mass Effect game with multiplayer comes out here in the next couple of years I WOULD like to be part of Team Leeroy Jenkins. Will have to see.

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

Warzone got a NextGen update if you want to play that for free. I think Apex Legends maybe did as well.

Like I have a time to download a 100GB+ game and then another 100-200GB update on top of that! ?

I like Apex, do they take advantage of the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers though? That's what I meant, really. I know Black Ops Cold War does.

I called Best Buy and they said there was some sort of "ID error" and that I should have the machine later this week. We'll see. I did feel bad when he said I was the only person with this problem who showed any sort of understanding or wasn't throwing a tantrum. I never understood taking frustration out on customer service reps. Maybe those people didn't have to do customer service jobs? Gaming culture is hella toxic too in a lot of ways too.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

So my TV supports 4K, but not HDMI 2.1. I can use that HDMI cable, but when I go to 2160 the audio lags and sometimes the screen glitches out. But if I switch back to 1080p, everything works fine. I'm assuming that's purely because of the HDMI cord, and if I dug around my house and got a HDMI 2.0 I could do 2160, right?

Didn’t post about it because, well...I wasn’t in a very good place, but my Series X arrived on Friday. In the midst of setting it up, it turned off (presumably to restart after the system update it runs). Unfortunately, it never turned back on. After some back and forth with support, it is now on its way back to Microsoft and I await a replacement.

Like...it probably shouldn’t bother me as much as it did because I was able to get one on launch week when a lot of people can’t afford one at all, but man, in this shitty nightmare year, it was something I was actually looking forward to. Oh well...Legion and Valhalla aren’t going anywhere. 

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

So my TV supports 4K, but not HDMI 2.1. I can use that HDMI cable, but when I go to 2160 the audio lags and sometimes the screen glitches out. But if I switch back to 1080p, everything works fine. I'm assuming that's purely because of the HDMI cord, and if I dug around my house and got a HDMI 2.0 I could do 2160, right?

People are urging users to stick with that cable but if you're not getting 4k60, then there's probably little harm in trying a different one.

Here's a list of things to avoid doing with the PS5 until issues are patched. 

17 minutes ago, Shane said:

Didn’t post about it because, well...I wasn’t in a very good place, but my Series X arrived on Friday. In the midst of setting it up, it turned off (presumably to restart after the system update it runs). Unfortunately, it never turned back on. After some back and forth with support, it is now on its way back to Microsoft and I await a replacement.

Like...it probably shouldn’t bother me as much as it did because I was able to get one on launch week when a lot of people can’t afford one at all, but man, in this shitty nightmare year, it was something I was actually looking forward to. Oh well...Legion and Valhalla aren’t going anywhere. 

I feel your pain. My launch day PS4 was a lemon due to (justifiably) pissed off Taiwanese interns meddling with some of the PS4 power supply units IIRC. Took I think 2 weeks to get a new one. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1