DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Not buying a PS5 for awhile.  Definitely not until I'm sure what the external memory and b/c situations are.  Sony claims the number of non-b/c games will be about 20, but I've heard rumors there are actually at least a few hundred non-b/c games.  Rumors were never substantiated, but Sony's done a lot to erode my blind trust lately.

I think Sony at one point gave a press release saying effective on 99% of games, and gave a list of like 20 very obscure games that were not.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Unless Sony Direct is going to charge and overnight ship the console literally the day before launch day, they don't have their shit together either. I had the money taken out of my account as a pre-authorization charge last Thursday and the money put back into my account Sunday night. Which I know that's how pre-orders work, but it's still weird that we're a few days away from launch, and no real movement on status of the order. It's said "Preparing to Ship" since Halloween, when they notified me that "in a couple of days" I would get a pre-authorization charge.

Damn dude I'm really sorry to hear this. A few days after I got charged for my pre-order, Sony email me with tracking information for the console and that just today, another email to track my copy of Miles Morales. I can't think of any reason why I would get that and you wouldn't, but I will hold out hope that you get your pre-order on time!

51 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Damn dude I'm really sorry to hear this. A few days after I got charged for my pre-order, Sony email me with tracking information for the console and that just today, another email to track my copy of Miles Morales. I can't think of any reason why I would get that and you wouldn't, but I will hold out hope that you get your pre-order on time!

I literally just got the shipping email from Sony, so now I’m just waiting on them to actually charge me for the PS5 I guess ?

• Like 2

Lol, just saw a bewildering 10 min. IGN video comparing Miles Morales on PS4, PS5, and PS4 Pro.  The narrator clearly thought he was making a good case for PS5 superiority, but I only intermittently could pick out a distinct difference in the side-by-side footage and mostly thought about the Emperor's new clothes while watching.  Ray tracing is going to be the new 60 fps.  The hardcores will rave over it, the rest of us will enjoy the game just fine at 30 fps.  Reflections and what not looked almost as impressive in IGN's PS4 footage.

Anyway, according to IGN, Miles Morales looks great and runs really well even on the base PS4.

• Like 1

My Costco pre-order for the Series X has shipped. Supposed to arrive tomorrow. They even said at the time I ordered it that it wouldn't arrive until more like next week or the week after, but it looks like they have their crap together. Looking forward to starting Watch Dogs: Legion.

Ya’ll are making me so glad FOMO got the best of me and I went with the Sony Direct preorder instead of hoping to find one online after launch.

Which, funny enough, is what I’ll end up doing for the Series S, but I can wait on that one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Ya’ll are making me so glad FOMO got the best of me and I went with the Sony Direct preorder instead of hoping to find one online after launch.

Which, funny enough, is what I’ll end up doing for the Series S, but I can wait on that one.

I signed up for the Sony Direct lottery and never received another email, otherwise I would have bought that way.

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I signed up for the Sony Direct lottery and never received another email, otherwise I would have bought that way.

I think I've told this story on here, not sure. But I did the same thing - signed up for the lottery, didn't think anything of it. Ended up having to take a month off of work due to health issues, so I was at home on a Friday afternoon, checked my email... and sure enough, I had an invite. But I had just gotten a PS4 almost a year ago, didn't really figure I needed a next-gen system already. Those invites were timed, too - you only had a certain amount of time that day to pre-order, maybe a few hours. I wasn't going to do it, was talking to a work buddy about it. Then I just said fuck it, went for the digital edition, I had the money, so why not? Hindsight being 20/20, I'm glad I did - but I'm also now in the same boat as everyone else with the new Xbox consoles - I want the S, but I can't find any. Hopefully by the end of the year.

All of that being said, though... it's weird as fuck I haven't been charged for the PS5 yet, and launch day is tomorrow, and it's shipped already.

So, I got an Xbox.  Apparently, Target's system had a glitch where all of the systems in the store did not show up online.  I have a friend who is a logistics manager for them and called me at 6AM to get dressed and get to the store so I can get one.  They had 9, I got there and was the 9th person in line.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I think I would have cried if I was #10

Only 3 other people showed up, which sucks for them, but it was something that people had to get the heads up about. If they got the heads up this time, I don't see why they won't get it next time.

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm just figuring I'm not getting either system until after the first of the year. Finding one seems like a pain in the ass.

I felt the same way yesterday, but I got one from the Target glitch, and had another friend get one from the Microsoft online store at midnight.  I think you have to be a little lucky, but it's possible.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Finally got charged. This is happening! Now I just have to stay up all fuckin’ day before work tomorrow since FedEx requires a signature.

FedEx offers a thing on their website, where you go to track it, where you can sign it electronically ahead of time. I forget exactly what it's called but I did that yesterday because while my wife works at home, odds are she won't notice somebody at the door and meanwhile I'll be in Rhode Island busting my ass all day. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I think I would have cried if I was #10

I'm the complete opposite.  I don't think I'd stand in line for even a couple min for a new game console.  As I said above, I impulsively bought a Series X yesterday for no other reason than I was walking through Walmart on my way to groceries and saw a stack sitting there.  No crowd.  There were one or two people checking out but they were on their way by the time I got to the counter.  If there had been a line of, say, three or four people, I'd probably have gone on my way without a second thought.

Still don't know much about the console.  I made room for it in the study last night, set it up, and installed a few games.  The plan was to come back later in the evening after my wife headed to bed and spend some time with it, but when I came back a few hours later, I played... the Switch.

Probably won't get any time with it tonight.  Hoping to knock out A Short Hike on the Switch tonight before I download a couple Sony games tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I'm downloading Miles Morales and The Pathless and starting one of them.  May d/lSackboy too depending on reviews.  Those 2/3 will keep me busy for a bit.  Uh, next week, I'm definitely buying Katamari Damacy on PS4 when it's released on the 20th, so the weekend may be out.

I've got dozens of Switch and PS4 games I want to get to soonish.

So, yeah, it's possible I'll be one of the first people to own a Series X and one of the last people to actually play it.

Edited by Eoae

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The thing you are talking about is FedEx Delivery Manager

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/delivery-manager.html

The only problem is that if the package requires an "adult or direct" signature - you can't do it electronically and part of me feels like that is going to require the signature

Yes, that is what I was talking about. My delivery info said it needed an indirect signature, so fingers crossed I'm all set - though I'll still ask the wife to please keep an eye out. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm fine with waiting. I have a wedding coming up at the end of this month (yeah, we're already married, we just never had a wedding), I'm busy as fuck with work, my bathroom remodel is taking forever, and I have about 3 woodworking projects I'm working on. It's not like I have a ton of time to fuck with a new console anyway. The most I may end up doing is buying the Destiny expansion and getting Cyberpunk if and when that comes out.