DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Clearly because I have turned into a simpleton - I am so happy I have found Youtube channels that I trust and can watch these review videos instead of slogging through actual written reviews (yes - I understand the irony of that statement)

This is usually how I get reviews.  I get a bit annoyed when I have to actually read reviews.  Much prefer to have reviews playing the background while I answer emails or whatever.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

And now the embargo on the PS5 has lifted - everyone from IGN to Kinda Funny have "reviews" or walkthroughs up on YouTube. I'm hoping Bruce Greene or Alanah Pearce will do an hour+ video on the UI and previewing games and stuff like they did with Xbox, but I think Alanah at least said Sony doesn't send her stuff anymore.

People I never expected to get a PS5 early have gotten a PS5 early.  I did a spit take when i realized the Metal Jesus Rocks dude from Youtube apparently rates high enough to get a console before the release date.

To be fair, I don't get into the culture all that deeply.  I generally know very little about the background of people like MJR so I'm never sure who is popular, who in a journalist and who is just an influencer, etc.  I'm like that even with people I follow.  For instance, I've never heard of Bruce Greene.  I'm familiar with Alanah Pearce and watch her videos on Youtube, but that's basically the extent of my familiarity.  Not sure if she's a social media influencer or a journalist.  Didn't she used to work for IGN or a similar site?

Read several reviews of Miles Morales after I realized the embargo must have been lifted.  Very good.  It sounds like it's a solid game regardless of console.  Reviews I read mostly talked about story and gameplay improvements and seemed more impressed by lack of load times that visual upgrades (the PS4 footage I've seen looks great too).  Apparently, the PS5 version has an optional 60 fps mode which trims back the visuals a bit to double the frame rate.  I'll eventually own it on PS5 (might even play it), but I'm expecting to have a good time with PS4 later this month.

Bring on the Pathless.

@Eoae Alanah Pearce and Bruce Greene are former Funhaus employees (a YouTube channel that's owned by Rooster Teeth). Alanah used to work at IGN some years ago, and Bruce was a producer on Attack of the Show! for G4 and Machinima's Inside Gaming. I guess they're influencers? Bruce does mainly Twitch now, Alanah just quit Funhaus for some huge new job that she isn't telling anyone about yet - also of note, she's in Gears 5 and Cyberpunk.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The forest fire that is the next gen version of Control has been delayed until "early 2021"

Is that all?  It could be worse.  Kerbal Space Program 2 was delayed yesterday until fiscal 2023 (meaning April 2022-March 2023).

59 minutes ago, Casey said:

@Eoae Alanah Pearce and Bruce Greene are former Funhaus employees (a YouTube channel that's owned by Rooster Teeth). Alanah used to work at IGN some years ago, and Bruce was a producer on Attack of the Show! for G4 and Machinima's Inside Gaming. I guess they're influencers? Bruce does mainly Twitch now, Alanah just quit Funhaus for some huge new job that she isn't telling anyone about yet - also of note, she's in Gears 5 and Cyberpunk.

I haven't watched her YouTube channel for a week or more now, but is she giving up her own channel?

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I haven't watched her YouTube channel for a week or more now, but is she giving up her own channel?

Nah, just Funhaus. She'll still be on some of their upcoming content, especially due to the Adam Kovic situation, but her personal channel will continue regardless of what her new job is.

13 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Twitter says The Medium has been delayed from Dec. 10 to Jan 31, 2021.

Correct - the publisher basically said it was the combo of the Polish COVID situation AND (without naming it by name) Cyberpunk getting moved to Dec.

EDIT - the date is actually Jan 28, 2021 but we are just splitting hairs now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

EDIT - the date is actually Jan 28, 2021 but we are just splitting hairs now

Yeah, I mistyped the date for some reason. I’m working an a proposal at work and have “31” on the brain.

Also, Sackboy: A Big Adventure is shipping without multiplayer.  Online co-op mode will be patched in before gr end of the year.  I don’t think cross-save compatibility is going to be available at launch either.

I'm really impressed with the PS5 headset after testing it out on the PS4. It's super light, the sound is very good (not spectacular but I'm a headphones snob of sorts... I guess), comfortable, and the mic works well. I wish Sony would start using Bluetooth to connect their headsets instead of a flipping USB dongle in 2020 though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I'm really impressed with the PS5 headset after testing it out on the PS4. It's super light, the sound is very good (not spectacular but I'm a headphones snob of sorts... I guess), comfortable, and the mic works well. I wish Sony would start using Bluetooth to connect their headsets instead of a flipping USB dongle in 2020 though. 

I was wondering about the dongle issue, that's pretty fucking ridiculous to still have to waste a USB port for such use. I don't generally use a headset so whatever, probably got a sound bar in my future since I bought a 64" 4K TV for the new system ?

• Like 2

There was a lot of controversy when competitive Fortnite was a thing, that people were playing with mouse and keyboard (like pro players do) on a PS4 (which has aim assist) and winning competitive events (that people cared about).