DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

If it makes you feel any better, I ordered directly from Sony and they haven’t done any of that either. But I did get an email on Saturday saying my pre-order payment will be processed “soon” - which is the same email everyone got that did it from Sony.

On 11/3/2020 at 3:32 AM, Casey said:

If it makes you feel any better, I ordered directly from Sony and they haven’t done any of that either. But I did get an email on Saturday saying my pre-order payment will be processed “soon” - which is the same email everyone got that did it from Sony.

Same here but with the controller, I got it two days earlier than expected and didn't get charged until it was in hands. 

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Did we know that the Xbox Series S has half the storage space of the Series X?  News to me.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/11/the_xbox_series_s_reportedly_has_364gb_of_usable_storage

only 346gb usable of storage?  I’m out.  I’d prefer to pay more for Series X.

Yes, we did know.

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

This week, Target will have in stock for online pickup and orders about 25 PS5s in their stores. In addition to their buy 2 get 1 Free sale which includes some next gen games.

I'm hoping to get a PS5 this upcoming week.

Hi all - the launch of the PlayStation 5 console on November 12 (or November 19, depending on your region) is almost upon us! In the interest of keeping our gamers, retailers, and staff safe amidst COVID-19, today we are confirming that all day-of launch sales will be conducted through the online stores of our retail partners.

No units will be available in-store for purchase on launch day (November 12 or November 19, depending on your region) – please don’t plan on camping out or lining up at your local retailer on launch day in hopes of finding a PS5 console for purchase. Be safe, stay home, and place your order online.

Gamers who have pre-ordered for pick-up at their local retailer should still be able to do so at their designated appointment time, under the retailer’s safety protocols. Please confirm the details with your local retailer.

A special thank you to our entire community for your continued support this year. Here’s to the next generation of gaming!

From the Playstation Blog. I imagine this will be how it is going forward with the COVID pandemic still on-going, and combined with the fact that they're probably low on stock too.

Edited by Casey

Yeah, I will be picking up an additional drive to install sometime early next year. COD *spit* is well over 200gb alone not that I will ever touch that flaming piece of shit. 

My peripherals arrived yesterday. I didn't want to open them until my card was charged for the console, which it was in the afternoon. So the controller is a heavy motherfucker but it's gorgeous and feels great. I'm very excited for next week. Those micro button symbols on the controller are so small my (less than great) phone's camera couldn't focus on them to capture the detail even at 2x zoom and with plenty of lighting.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

This week, Target will have in stock for online pickup and orders about 25 PS5s in their stores. In addition to their buy 2 get 1 Free sale which includes some next gen games.

I'm hoping to get a PS5 this upcoming week.

Are you saying each Target will only have 25 consoles?!

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

It’s going to be the era of expensive external storage options.

825GB often translates to 825.000.000.000 Byte, which is not the same thing (due to the 1024 to 1000 factor), but that would still translate to close to 770 GByte. I guess the remaining 120 GByte are reserved for system stuff which is not included by GameSpot here?

• Like 1

I get that they wanted to go with NVMe SSDs because it's the new hotness for storage, but it's not a logical solution. I was lucky enough to get a WD Black 1 TB NVMe, but there's no way I could rely on that alone. I also have another regular 1 TB SSD in my computer.

Honestly, that's the solution both Sony and Microsoft should have used. Go with a smaller NVMe to run system processes and some other stuff, but throw in a SATA 1 TB SSD for game storage and then include either a USB 3 or a SATA port on the back of the console to connect an external SSD. The cost would have wound up being the same considering the cost of SATA SSDs now and it would have been better for their customers.

Instead both companies fucked their customers with a bottlenecked storage solution that forces you to buy proprietary external storage.

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I get that they wanted to go with NVMe SSDs because it's the new hotness for storage, but it's not a logical solution. I was lucky enough to get a WD Black 1 TB NVMe, but there's no way I could rely on that alone. I also have another regular 1 TB SSD in my computer.

Honestly, that's the solution both Sony and Microsoft should have used. Go with a smaller NVMe to run system processes and some other stuff, but throw in a SATA 1 TB SSD for game storage and then include either a USB 3 or a SATA port on the back of the console to connect an external SSD. The cost would have wound up being the same considering the cost of SATA SSDs now and it would have been better for their customers.

Instead both companies fucked their customers with a bottlenecked storage solution that forces you to buy proprietary external storage.

Just going to have to hope the cost starts to come down slightly over the next 18 months, which should happen with new tech.  Using proprietary brands is the concerning part because it allows for more price fixing.

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Just going to have to hope the cost starts to come down slightly over the next 18 months, which should happen with new tech.  Using proprietary brands is the concerning part because it allows for more price fixing.

That's what makes me think the price won't come down, especially for the Xbox. I need to double check each system, but I thought for sure that you were stuck using Microsoft's bullshit expansion drives, but I'm not so sure about the PS5.

Just to provide some evidence for them not reducing prices, 360 expansion drives were still outrageously expensive long after the 360 came out. I wound up buying a separate HDD and a Torx screwdriver set to just swap out the HDD in my 360. It violated my warranty, but who cares. I wasn't about to spend a fortune on their bullshit.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Are you saying each Target will only have 25 consoles?!

There are pictures being posted online of a particular Target showing 25 consoles on a pallet and other people confirming that almost all Target stores will have it be the case as well. It's entirely possible it will be more than 25 consoles.

I know I'm going to be checking Amazon, Best Buy, Target and (ewww) Walmart at midnight next Thursday.

Edited by Andrew POE!

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

There are pictures being posted online of a particular Target showing 25 consoles on a pallet and other people confirming that almost all Target stores will have it be the case as well. It's entirely possible it will be more than 25 consoles.

I know I'm going to be checking Amazon, Best Buy, Target and (ewww) Walmart at midnight next Thursday.

As I posted a couple posts up the page, Sony said today no consoles will be available to sales in stores.  Some will be available to order launch day and people who are picking up their pre-orders in-store will still be able to do so.  Sony doesn’t want people swarming stores due to covid.

Seeing how the roll-out for the next gen consoles are going, with limited stock and in-store pickups, virtual camp outs, etc... man, I’m glad I pulled the trigger on the Sony Direct pre-order when I had the chance. Now if they’d just charge me, that’d be great.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Seeing how the roll-out for the next gen consoles are going, with limited stock and in-store pickups, virtual camp outs, etc... man, I’m glad I pulled the trigger on the Sony Direct pre-order when I had the chance. Now if they’d just charge me, that’d be great.

Check your stuff Broski, they just charged me this morning.

• Like 2

Just now, Tromatagon said:

Check your stuff Broski, they just charged me this morning.

Same, separate charges for both the system and a game. Maybe it's because I've never pre-ordered a system but it doesn't feel at all like a whole new generation of gaming is going to be in my hands in a matter of days. Everything else going on in the world might also be a factor to that feeling... 

• Like 1

Yeah I think like an hour after I posted that, the payment went through.

And now the embargo on the PS5 has lifted - everyone from IGN to Kinda Funny have "reviews" or walkthroughs up on YouTube. I'm hoping Bruce Greene or Alanah Pearce will do an hour+ video on the UI and previewing games and stuff like they did with Xbox, but I think Alanah at least said Sony doesn't send her stuff anymore.

EDIT: Mildly disappointed that the PS5 doesn't track trophy progress for PS4 games (or maybe it's just Avengers - Greg Miller didn't look into any other games for that option other than Avengers). 

Edited by Casey

Clearly because I have turned into a simpleton - I am so happy I have found Youtube channels that I trust and can watch these review videos instead of slogging through actual written reviews (yes - I understand the irony of that statement)

I just hope my current XBOX holds out long enough so I can get a next gen XBOX on my schedule

• Like 1

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/06/spider-man-miles-morales-ps5-review-pretty-spectacular-13545488/

GameCentral really enjoyed Spider-Man: Miles Morales. Bear in mind they weren't looking forward to it, weren't as high as everyone else on Marvel's Spider-Man and both over rely on what came before in Batman: Arkham.