DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Got my DualSense in the mail today, so that's pretty neat, yet it still doesn't feel like PS5 will be here in only two weeks. It's going to be a Christmas present for the fam but you fucking bet I'll be opening it up and, um... making sure the firmware is updated, yeah that's the ticket, so we can plug it in and play on the holiday ?

27 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Got my DualSense in the mail today, so that's pretty neat, yet it still doesn't feel like PS5 will be here in only two weeks. It's going to be a Christmas present for the fam but you fucking bet I'll be opening it up and, um... making sure the firmware is updated, yeah that's the ticket, so we can plug it in and play on the holiday ?

When I got my son a PS4, I hooked it up and ran the updates the night before. The next morning I woke him up with the empty box wrapped, with a little weight inside. He got excited not knowing it was empty.  I said, "here let me go set it up on the TV". He handed me the box and I chucked it as hard as I could across the room.

I think that was the closest my kid almost came to yelling "What the fuck!"

Good times.

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

When I got my son a PS4, I hooked it up and ran the updates the night before. The next morning I woke him up with the empty box wrapped, with a little weight inside. He got excited not knowing it was empty.  I said, "here let me go set it up on the TV". He handed me the box and I chucked it as hard as I could across the room.

Good times.

That's freaking awesome.

14 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Good times.

We're thinking of getting the Switch for our nephews and have things coordinated with the parents so they'll get games and accessories for it.  I know I'll be setting it up beforehand so they can just straight up play it on Christmas.  But while I at first was gonna put it back in the box I feel inspired by your idea.  Although knowing how conservative my sis and her husband are I don't think that will work out as well as it did for you.

• Like 1

I'm kinda surprised more preorders never opened up for the PS5 or Xboxes. I could swear each company said that there would be more preorders available, but at this point it's basically going to be a thing where you either find those systems on release day or you wind up waiting until next year to get one.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

According to Sony anyway, the amount of pre-orders they've had eclipses the first 12 weeks of the PS4. That's gotta be a lot of people, surely.

Sony said this week that their goal is to sell 7.6 million units by March, so preorders are probably in the range of 3-5 million?  I’m guessing.  I’m actually quite curious about how many per-orders they’ve actually gotten (and how many they’ll actually fill).

I’m really curious about sales figures for titles available for both generations.  One the one hand, you want to show off the power of the next gen console.  On the other hand, the user base is going to be kinda small initially compared to the number of PS4:Xbox One users out there, so it makes business sense to develop a game that looks good and run well on current gen hardware.  

I’m guessing some launch titles will sell better for current gen?  I wonder how many people are going to buy a PS5 in a year or two and come back to launch games?  I would, but I dunno if that’s typical or not.  People will have moved on from Cyberpunk and AC Valhalla by then.  I’m expecting to play the Pathless and Miles Morales on PS4 in a couple weeks, so if they mail in the PS4 versions because they’re too busy optimizing the P5 release, I’m going to be irritated.

It must really suck to be a game designer right now.

Giant Bombcast was talking about the DualSense 5 or whatever it's called and man, that controller sounds fucking COOL. The talk of the controller alone almost makes me want to find a PS5 first.

All of the features of the controller sound cool as fuck and the bits and pieces of the videos I've seen of it in action (especially the adaptive triggers) are amazing, but mannnnn I am so concerned about the lasting power and durability of a controller that does all this stuff.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

All of the features of the controller sound cool as fuck and the bits and pieces of the videos I've seen of it in action (especially the adaptive triggers) are amazing, but mannnnn I am so concerned about the lasting power and durability of a controller that does all this stuff.

I'm concerned about the input lag of the controller. I've noticed with DualShock 4's that there is a bit of an input lag with certain games (for whatever reason the PS3 generation had that sweet spot of very responsive controls provided the system wasn't overheating/slowed down/freezing). I'm hoping the SSD + DualSense will see better responsive controls.

• Like 1

YES!!!!!

No firm release date other than "early 2021".  PS5 version will have some next gen graphical improvements, run at 60 fps.

Also, Rare announced that Evferwild's creative director, Simon Woodroffe, resigned from the company several weeks ago.  Hopefully this doesn't affect Everwild overmuch.  It' probably the Microsoft title I've been most intrigued by.

Does anyone else feel the 30 fps vs. 60 fps. thing is overrated?  II can feel a slight difference but it's never seemed significant.

15 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

That's...actually a really good point that I didn't consider before. Makes me think picking up some kind of extended warranty would be a good idea. And if the Joycon drift issues are any indication, Sony might be paying for any replacements anyway.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

YES!!!!!

No firm release date other than "early 2021".  PS5 version will have some next gen graphical improvements, run at 60 fps.

Shadow of the Colossus: Zero Dawn?

• Like 1