DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Considering Peter Parker looks like a completely different person - I can understand the argument that it is a whole new game

Oh, man. Looks like a younger Tom Holland and Peter Parker/Spider-Man's supposed to be in his mid 20s in the game. Mary Jane Watson and Miles Morales will also look older.

• Like 1

I'm fine with the changes to Spider-Man. I recall specifically complaints online about how Parker looked initially and how he looked like a 40-year old man but sounded younger. Now he looks younger, but people complain that he looks like Tom Holland.

Insomniac couldn't win.

• Like 1

He looks like Tom Holland, but Holland is also like 25 so I don’t see why people are complaining. And the character model actually looks better than the original - I always thought it looked really janky, personally.

The Pathless confirmed as a PS5 launch title.  Also releasing on PS4, PC the same day.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-01-abzu-developers-gorgeous-forest-adventure-the-pathless-is-a-playstation-5-launch-title

The Sony Showcase that previewed it a couple months ago certainly gave the impression it was going to be a PS5 exclusive,   So, yeah, Sony has a marketing problem right now.  I imagine all these controversies and discontent will go away once we get a couple years in and Sony has a large roster of exclusives and not-on-Xbox games built up, but right now it Sony is lagging behind Xbox in the PR dept.  I'm more excited about what Xbox and Nintendo are doing but I expect that will change once the games start rolling out.

For those not familiar, Pathless is the second game from Giant Squid.  Their first game was ABZÛ and the studio head, Matt Nava, was the art director on Flower and Journey.

I really enjoyed Abzu, but what my strongest memory of it is wanting to smash my controller after the first night with it.  I'm not a rage gamer, so games don't usually get to me, but it took me awhile to get the hang of swimming.  First night with the game was mostly spent watching my diver swim to the bottom of the ocean and bump along the ocean floor, repeatedly jamming his head into the ground at an awkward angle that probably should have broken his neck.      

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 1

Neither of those consoles are aesthetically pleasing. Since it's replacing the PS4, I'll have space but I imagine a lot of people will struggle to find room for the behemoth that is the PS5. 

Forgot to mention that there's a video of a dev kit ps5 that takes 20 seconds to load up. Could be fake and the dev kit may be slower than the final retail version but the XSX takes 10-12 seconds to load up apparently. 

Edited by Jiji

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Forgot to mention that there's a video of a dev kit ps5 that takes 20 seconds to load up. Could be fake and the dev kit may be slower than the final retail version but the XSX takes 10-12 seconds to load up apparently. 

I'm honestly amazed that this matters to anyone, but apparently gamers are in a tizzy over 10 second load times.

I am a little put off by the info that the PS5 supposedly has 664 mb of usable storage out of the box.  That's my only real "complaint" about the little bit that's been revealed about next gen consoles so far,  I expected default storage to be larger.  I'd like to get away from having to delete games or buy an external drive to install a new game.  I know cost is a factor, but I expected the PS5 and Xbox Series whatever to launch with at least 2 or 3 GB of usable storage, and I expect later models with have much more storage space.  

IIRC, PS4 Pro has about 860 GB of storage.  Game sizes will probably increase quite a bit, so losing a third of the hard drive space out of the box is a little disappointing.

Interestingly, the PS4 edition of Miles Morales is supposedly going to take up more space than the PS5 release (52 MB to 50 MB).

That's the cost of going with SSD. Smaller sizes but way faster. I'll probably pick up an additional SSD sometime next year. 

Install sizes of the few games we know of aren't bad. Demon's Souls is 66gb, Miles Morales 50gb "minimum", and the Spidey ultimate edition 105gb.

I know it's far more serious than this, but every time I hear these stories about online trolls sending death threats to people involved in the video game industry (or other forms of media) I think fondly about that part in that Jay & Silent Bob movie where they go around kicking the shit out of message board assholes. In a just world, people would be afraid to be so hateful because they know it would get their teeth knocked in. The same could be said for racists and vile misogynists but what can you do? Viva internet anonymity ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

In a just world, people would be afraid to be so hateful because they know it would get their teeth knocked in. The same could be said for racists and vile misogynists but what can you do? Viva internet anonymity ?

2015 would like its far-too-rosy assessment of the world back. 

In other news, I went back and restarted Super Metroid because of course I did. Did my first mockball and quick-killed Kraid (well OK it took 1 extra missile after he rose up)! I suck slightly less!

• Like 1

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2020-10-05/playstation-5-standardizes-x-as-confirm-button-across-all-regions/.164872

The Japanese game and media website AV Watch reported on Sunday that Sony's PlayStation 5 console will standardize the use of the controller's "X" button as the confirm button across all regions. This has already been the standard in the West since the first PlayStation, but in Japan and most Asian regions, the "O" (circle) button is the confirm button instead (in Japan, the "O" mark is used to mark something as "correct," such as when grading exams).

Sony confirmed to AV Watch that the change is being made to avoid having the confirm button being different between the console's menu and in-game controls. In both the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, users are able to specify whether the "X" or "O" button would serve as the confirm button (although the consoles would ship with the default depending on region).

• Like 1