DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

43 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Also, how do Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem match up with Final Fantasy as series? I was hella tempted to play the latest Dragon Quest but putting a tonne of time into Persona 4 Golden in June and July scratched my RPG itch for the time being. I may check out some FF or Dragon Quest next time while I wait for Royal to come down in price. 

Dragon Quest is like if someone made a SNES RPG series with modern technology.  They're extremely well made games that have absolutely no interest in providing anything new.  

I loved Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but it's nowhere close to a Final Fantasy game.  They are pretty much on exact opposite sides of the JRPG spectrum.  Fire Emblem is a tactical RPG that is all about putting your party members in the most advantageous positions.  The battles are fun, but there is also a lot of social stuff in between.  

• Like 1

I pre-ordered some PS5 games (Spider-Man Miles, Demon's Souls, Sackboy & Destruction All-Stars) even though I have no intention of buying a PS5 right now. I will likely wait a year or two before I get it. I'm debating whether I want AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion or COD Black Ops Hot Pockets Cold War Lukewarm Reception or whatever it's called.

I'm hoping Destruction All-Stars doesn't have any online trophy/server/online play bullshit, otherwise I'm cancelling it.

• Like 1

I preferred Dragon Quest VIII to any Final Fantasy game I've ever played (1, 7-10, 12-13). I liked what little I played of XI as well, but I stupidly bought it on PS4, when I know that I don't really use that console as much. I should have gotten it on Switch, though it is coming to Game Pass in December, so I'll go through it on Xbox.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eoae said:

Jett: The Far Shore has been delayed until 2021.  I never saw a release date, but it was supposed to be out sometime during the holiday season.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-galaxy-exploring-game-jett-the-far-shore-delayed-to-2021/1100-6482348/

I don't really mind although for the life of me I can't figure out what the gameplay actually would be. It looked like some arty farty mess Kojima would come up with.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:34 PM, Shane said:

I preferred Dragon Quest VIII to any Final Fantasy game I've ever played (1, 7-10, 12-13). I liked what little I played of XI as well, but I stupidly bought it on PS4, when I know that I don't really use that console as much. I should have gotten it on Switch, though it is coming to Game Pass in December, so I'll go through it on Xbox.

I have a lot of JRPG opinions. This should be obvious by now. I'm going to argue that Dragon Quest is a better series than Final Fantasy. Don't worry too much about this, it probably took me less time to write than it would take anyone to read.

DQ 1 smokes FF 1. DQII and FFII are bad games, but DQII has a good enough remake on the GBC.  DQIII stomps (the rather good) FFIII. As far as I'm concerned, DQIV and FFIV are a wash, but I'm leaning toward FFIV. FFV is fine, a step forward gameplay-wise but a step back in narrative. DQV fucks up any SNES-era JRPG that isn't elite. It is at the very least the power forward of the almighty Top-5 SNES JRPGs (apologies to Lufia II and Live a Live, but it's DQV, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and...). FFVI is the best RPG of all time. DQ VI is a black sheep, but it's not entirely awful. DQVII is awful. Like, one of the worst times I've ever had with a game. It's built on nothing but good ideas and solid mechanics, but it's unrelentingly long and drawn-out. You get five characters to put in your four-person party (some characters are introduced at very late intervals), and the game is built on a job system that greatly benefits a party well-balanced in regards to EXP. The ending sequence of the game might as well be an entire game. I hate it. FFVII is Final Fantasy fucking Seven, what do you want from me? DQVIII is a brilliant refinement of everything good about the series the same way that DQV was. FFVIII is a brilliant defilement of everything sacred about the series in a way few numbered entries of all-time franchises have ever been. DQIX is a back-to-basics series high point that succeeds in difficulty and pacing (despite having almost no cast). FFIX is a back-to-basics series high point that succeeds in atmosphere and cast (despite having issues with pacing). DQX doesn't exist and FFX hasn't revealed itself to me as anything but an effigy of a pretty man, made out of garbage, on fire. DQXI (Switch) was the best RPG I played last year, probably the best JRPG on the Switch, and an expression of sheer joy to anyone who remotely likes overworld maps, hitting A to bonk your way through menu-based combat, broad-stroke ensemble casts and other JRPG shit. FFXV is one of the most baffling games I've ever played. Brilliantly engrossing minute-to-minute gameplay when you're wandering the map knocking out sidequests. A story that completely refuses to explain itself and a world that completely refuses to build itself. Characters that are as alive as anything when they're interacting with each other and absolutely hollow husks of characterization and development when considered individually. I have not played FFXII, but would like to. I have not played FFXIII and would not like to. I'm generally speaking about the DS/3DS remakes of Dragon Quest games and the GBA/DS/PSP remakes from the Final Fantasy series, although I've spent plenty of time with every SNES Final Fantasy game.

None of this means shit if you don't like Dragon Quest's doofy traditionalism. I certainly didn't grow up with the series the same way I did Final Fantasy, but it feels more cozy. Like I know it better, even though I don't.

• Like 1

ack. 

this triple post will be about how my girlfriend is playing Death Stranding and how I am deeply jealous of that fact she got to it before me. I like self-indulgent well-meaning metaphors as long as they've got some meat on 'em. And, y'know, Kojima fucking predicted COVID.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I have a lot of JRPG opinions. This should be obvious by now. I'm going to argue that Dragon Quest is a better series than Final Fantasy. Don't worry too much about this, it probably took me less time to write than it would take anyone to read.

I feel like Dragon Quest is classic Big 10, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, smash mouth football.  I feel like Final Fantasy is modern, spread em out, throw the ball around, pass happy football.  When the former is done well, it is extremely effective, just not imaginative.  When it's done wrong, it's boring as fuck and feels prehistoric.  When the latter is done well, it feels monumental, life changing, and revolutionary.  When it's done poorly, you just want to scream, "just run the fucking ball," at your television.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

ack. 

this triple post will be about how my girlfriend is playing Death Stranding and how I am deeply jealous of that fact she got to it before me. I like self-indulgent well-meaning metaphors as long as they've got some meat on 'em. And, y'know, Kojima fucking predicted COVID.

Yeah, but the meat of Death Stranding is a 32 oz porterhouse... that's 30 oz of bone and inedible fat.

• Haha 1

Just now, Casey said:

They're still in stock on Microsoft's website, too.

They're not. It just depends on what page you get to.

So I got ultra fucked on the pre-order through Microsoft's website. I kept getting a message when I went to add the system to my cart that I had reached the maximum allowed number of systems, but nothing got added to my cart. It showed zero items. So I thought, well, I may as well click on the cart to see for sure. That sent me on a seemingly endless loop of getting page errors or the page would come up, but would have incomplete info. Finally, the cart loads and sure enough, there's an Xbox Series X in my cart. I go to check out and I get an error message for my payment method. It just says to reload and try again. I do this multiple times and keep getting the same message. So I change my payment method from my checking account to savings. Same shit. I change it to a credit card. Same thing. I keep clicking around and I come to a page on Microsoft's website where if you want to preorder you click on a link to see partner retailers. When you click that link, it shows that Microsoft is sold out, but it gives you links to all of the other retailers. Except that by this point it's nearly 12:30 pm and everyone is sold out.

So thanks a fucking lot Microsoft. Ya dickholes. System was in my cart the whole time, but their website was fucking garbage and I never knew until an hour later.

And now the main info page for the system is showing sold out on Microsoft's website.

I'm guessing they'll make more systems available, but if they don't, then whatever I guess. I'll get one at some point. Not like there's a whole lot to play on the new system at this point anyway.

Have never pre-ordered a game system and only ever gotten one on launch day - the SNES.  I wasn't even sure I was going to get one but then my co-worker - I worked at a video game store - got one and I was suddenly jealous.  He told me they were in-stock at a Toys R Us about 20 minutes away.  I called my brother and asked him to go buy me one.  And he did, which was so cool of him.  I remember also being disappointed with the launch games.  Super Mario World is an incredible game but I thought the graphics were weak and Pilotwings bored me.  Oh well.

I did go with a coworker to Costco the day the 360 launched.  He heard they had a pallet of them near the entrance so we went at launch and he bought two.  Sold the extra one on Ebay and he made enough to pay for the other one.  So he got a 360 for free.  I don't know why I didn't do the same.

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh shit. Here we go. New big rumor that is sure to really piss @Tromatagonand others off - Microsoft may also be purchasing Sega. Who knows if its true or not, but I could see it happening.

I saw some stuff on that this morning, but there's probably nothing to it.  It's not even a rumor, really.  More like speculation from fans (as opposed to news outlets).  Microsoft's been rumored to be buying Sega since the Dreamcast days.  

3 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I saw some stuff on that this morning, but there's probably nothing to it.  It's not even a rumor, really.  More like speculation from fans (as opposed to news outlets).  Microsoft's been rumored to be buying Sega since the Dreamcast days.  

I'd be all for it,  the Dreamcast was one of my favorite systems. I think Sega is one of the most innovative game developers of all time.  They could be a great addition to a system that needs an influx of imagination. 

• Like 1

I probably be  for it  But I like console exclusives and generally end up purchasing all the major consoles in a generation anyway.  I was the only kid in my neighborhood with both a SNES and a Sega Genesis.  The funny part is that I don't even think of myself as a hardcore gamer.  Been playing more this year, but generally I only play a couple hours a week and would much rather talk game design than play the game.  I dunno how some of you sit and play for hours at a stretch.  I can very rarely do that.

I'm going to be sad if console exclusivity falls completely out of favor and consoles are distinguished largely by multimedia applications and visual fidelity.  It'll be good for players, if that happens, but I have a feeling it will be less than idea for at least one of the Big Three and ultimately not benefit consumers as much as we think it will.

I'm curious to see what Microsoft does with console exclusivity going forward.  If their endgame is really increasing Game Pass and becoming the equivalent of Netflix, it might be worth it to work with Nintendo and Sony on certain IPs.  Cutting out Sony is a good idea in theory, but it leaves an awful lot of money on the table.  I wonder if they'd consider timed release windows on other platforms or maybe keeping digital rights to themselves and allowing retail editions to be published for PlayStation or Switch (again, probably as a timed exclusive).

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Oh shit. Here we go. New big rumor that is sure to really piss @Tromatagonand others off - Microsoft may also be purchasing Sega. Who knows if its true or not, but I could see it happening.

FFFFFFFFFF

I want to play Yakuza and Persona on a PlayStation, not this fn GamePass bs. Why can't Microsoft just leave the console marketplace? They haven't made a good game since Halo 3.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1

I feel like fear-mongering. Remember when SEGA made a bunch of their Dreamcast-era sequels XBOX exclusive and killed a bunch of their very best franchises like Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi and created decade-plus long gaps in console releases of their other franchises like Shenmue and House of the Dead?

wouldn't it be cool if that happened to Bayonetta and Persona and Yakuza

• Sad 1