DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I got no issues with X.  Well, actually, no, it was too linear and Tidus was a wanker for 4/5ths of the game, but it evoked a genuine sad reaction out of me for the ending.  

Now everything after that... (I'm looking at that unfinished mess XV, I am...)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I’ve tried watching people stream Persona and just don’t get it. Same with Dangonrompa. 

as long as they don’t bring back Blitzball, I’m okay with FF. ? 

I like Persona a lot.  I also understand why people would have no interest in playing it.  The one thing I will say is that it is overly long.  I like the character stuff, but I don't need the parts where I have to work at 7-11 or watch the main character play video games.  With that said, for my money the best RPGs of this generation are the Trails of Cold Steel games.  I've played the first two, and already bought the third.  The storytelling and battle system are fucking phenomenal.  Fire Emblem Three houses was also great, and Dragon Quest XI needs to be mentioned too.

I felt like the dungeon grinding and leveling up were the worst elements of Persona 4 Golden. The high schooler time management crunch/friendship simulator and murder mystery were the best parts. I'm not sure if I should jump into Persona 5 with PS+ Collection or just wait for Royal to go on sale though. Probably Royal. Royal has more of the latter and doesn't add a bunch of the former, right?

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I felt like the dungeon grinding and leveling up were the worst elements of Persona 4 Golden. The high schooler time management crunch/friendship simulator and murder mystery were the best parts. I'm not sure if I should jump into Persona 5 with PS+ Collection or just wait for Royal to go on sale though. Probably Royal. Royal has more of the latter and doesn't add a bunch of the former, right?

I'm playing Royal, and from what I understand it improves the dungeon crawling parts, and adds multiple new characters and a whole new semester to the school year.  You pretty much play every day from April to March, and I don't think any dungeon has taken more than 3 days, so the vast majority of the game is the time management/friendship stuff.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’ve tried watching people stream Persona and just don’t get it. Same with Dangonrompa. 

as long as they don’t bring back Blitzball, I’m okay with FF. ? 

Bad news barrett GIF - Find on GIFER

It's coming back and you play a medieval version of it. ?

Final Fantasy XVI pretty much looks like Game of Thrones but with chocobos and crystals. Maybe they'll introduce characters that you like that will die half way through. Hopefully, the ending will be less bad.

Maybe I'm a snobby gamer (shocker), but I can't play a game that looks like this, no matter how good the story might be.

ply_cloudff_grading.0.jpg

So, yeah, I'm grateful for the remake so I can experience the (expanded) story in such a way that pleases my eyes.

7 hours ago, Jiji said:

What is considered the best Final Fantasy game after 3/6, 7, and 10? I haven't really played much. Tactics looked cool as a kid but I never got it. Was 8 the one with the card game or was that 9?

8 had Triple Triad. 9 had a game that got introduced in the plot halfway through, and apparently you could keep playing it, but I never bothered.

IMO, YMMV, etc . etc. my favs after the three you mentioned are 14 (the MMO), 13 (not the two sequels), and 8. I have a love/hate relationship with 12 (love the Gambit system and playing it, but the story is utter garbage and I actively dislike 2 of the major characters).

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I would think it would be IX.  I really enjoyed IX.  I never played Tactics but one of my friends loved it.  I did not like VIII too much. 

I always got the sense that people didn’t like 9 as much, because it went more “traditional” after 7/8. Maybe it was just the backlash at the time and people have come around on it? It’s my favorite after 10, though. 

How do folks here feel about 12? I keep thinking of picking up the remaster on Switch because I remember that game fondly, but haven’t pulled the trigger on it. I recall the...Gambit system, I think it’s called (?) being a blast to mess around with and it made that game’s AI feel like it was actually following these giant lists of nonsense commands I was feeding it. You could absolutely break that game with a smart setup. 

Never finished 8. After a hundred hours or whatever, finding out that the final disc wouldn’t read was, let’s say...frustrating. 

7 hours ago, Jiji said:

What is considered the best Final Fantasy game after 3/6, 7, and 10? I haven't really played much. Tactics looked cool as a kid but I never got it. Was 8 the one with the card game or was that 9?

I, II and III are too old to be anyone's favorite. II is straight-up bad.

IV would be considered one of the better entries in the series. I've got the PSP version, which has all the extra stuff they added in the GBA remake + the two sequels (which are better than their reviews). Some might tell you that the 3D/voice acted remake on the DS is better. They might be right.

V is considered a step down from IV story-wise, although it has moments. The job system is the big draw if you're into that. I hated VIII as a kid and loved it as an adult - turns out the point of the game is to play the card game a ton, turn your cards into items, turn the items into magic, and equip the magic on yourself so that you're insanely strong (as long as you don't grind). It's freakin' weird.

IX is one of the best in the series. I have some gripes about pacing, an awful final boss and party members being isolated too often, but they're nitpicks. Solid cast, good magic system, great world.

I tried to start X a few months back. Holy fuck. That is one of the roughest first-five-hours in gaming history. You've got almost no combat, John DiMaggio and Tara Strong choking on bad dialogue, a completely ineffective narrator hook, and eventually Blitzball. Torturous. I have no idea when I'm going to dive back in

I hate Final Fantasy X almost as much as 8. We've had this discussion many times over, but I still think 8 is fucking garbage. X is nearly as bad. It's more linear, Tidus is nearly as unlikable as the dorks in 8.

6 is the one I want re-made more than anything else. It has one of the best villains that any game has ever seen. And he wins, which is bananas. The 3D of 7 put it over the top for me back then and 7-R is nearly a masterpiece, to me anyway. 9 is great and a lot of fun. It's maybe the easiest FF game to get into and it's the reason why I never finished stuff like Skies of Arcadia (a game that desperately needs a re-release).

12 is one I might get on the Switch or the PC to actually play through the whole thing. I loved Vagrant Story and got hyped for the person behind VS making a FF game. I don't recall the combat or item system being as complex as VS, but I still remember it being fine.

I had no desire to play 13. All I remember reading about it at the time was that it's very linear with shallow characters and it's a bunch of anime bullshit. I'll also only play 15 if my daughter pushes for it as a Christmas present.

If I were to rank the FF games I've played, it'd probably be something like 7/7-R, 6, 9, 4, 3, 11, 10, and then 8. Oh, I don't know where 14 would rank yet, but it feels like it would be on the high end.

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

What is considered the best Final Fantasy game after 3/6, 7, and 10? I haven't really played much. 

I would guess IX and XII.  IX seems to be highly regarded by most everyone.  The only real drawback is that it was a conscious effort to get back to the series' roots, so if you liked the angst of VII, VIII, and almost everything after 10, this may not be for you.  It's easily the most whimsical FF title since the mid-90's.

XII seems to have aged poorly with some people, but got fantastic reviews from critics and players when it was released.  It seems to finish high in "Best FF" articles and polls.

VIII should be in that discussion, but it's polarizing.  A lot of people think it's brilliant.  A lot of people think it's awful.  I thought it had some issues, but I liked the characters, tone, romance aspect, etc.  I don't think too many people are "meh" about this one.  Fans tend to either love it or hate it.

My personal list goes 10, 6, 7 Remake, 8, 9, 7 original, 10-2, 12.  Honestly, Square was still near it's peak during the PS2 era, so you're not really going to go wrong with anything between 6 and 12.  I liked 13 quite a bit, and mostly liked the sequels, but I also feel both Square Enix and FF were past their prime by then.

2 hours ago, Shane said:

I always got the sense that people didn’t like 9 as much, because it went more “traditional” after 7/8. Maybe it was just the backlash at the time and people have come around on it? It’s my favorite after 10, though. 

How do folks here feel about 12? I keep thinking of picking up the remaster on Switch because I remember that game fondly, but haven’t pulled the trigger on it. I recall the...Gambit system, I think it’s called (?) being a blast to mess around with and it made that game’s AI feel like it was actually following these giant lists of nonsense commands I was feeding it. You could absolutely break that game with a smart setup. 

Never finished 8. After a hundred hours or whatever, finding out that the final disc wouldn’t read was, let’s say...frustrating. 

12 was the first FF game I got that I did not finish. I tried to play it again a year ago and it did not get better in those 15 (or whatever) years. The gameplay (grinding) is very boring. You just run around with Gambit's active and do barely anything. It gets even worse when you try to chain enemy types to get better loot, as then you run in small circles. The story is all over the place. I could barely tell you what is going on and who of main party is there for what reasons. I am sure that the game tries to tell you, but I could not have been bothered to remember. On the positive side you could probably say that it looked nice.

13 was a fine but not exceptional game. I finished it once and don't feel to revisit it. I played 13-2 a bit and thought that it had quite some good, innovative, ideas and at the same time played much more like a traditional RPG (trying a bit to be like Chrono Trigger).

• Like 1

I hate random drops, the lack of character/mythos driven side quests (hunt side quests are terrible compared to what you get in earlier games) and the gambit system. I don’t love the record boards and how every character can quickly I everything but I guess they fix that with the remake.

Edited by Matt D

11 hours ago, Jiji said:

The best Final Fantasy games are generally considered VI, VII, & Tactics. IX would be the next one after them with a lot of the older fans loving it as the last traditional FF. IV & V are always highly regarded even though they don't get quite the same amount of love as the other ones previously mentioned. Tactics' love is interesting to me as its one of those that seems to to be love by non-general FF fans. Even with its being part of the franchise I don't really like to include it (though I do like it) because it more a of side thing like Mystic Quest, Dissidia, etc. I prefer people stick to the actual main titles and their sequels when it comes to these things. VIII, X, & XII were all liked initially only to be hated a couples of years down the line as people thought more about whatever issues each had. The opinion on them is more mixed at the moment. Personally I liked X, hated VIII aside the Garden war, and ended up not giving a shit about XII with it currently being in my pile of shame as far as unfinished games go. Haven't replayed X in years, but I don't recall hating Tidus like others. I do recall thinking Auron & Rikku were the best and the general story being interesting and different from the norm. VIII to me had a bland cast, a bad story that never quite makes decent sense, and one of the worst leveling systems in the franchise. XII once again had a bland cast (aside from Balthier), a false leading man (should have just been Ashe), & a story I never quite managed to give a damn about. XIII & its sequels seem to be hated for reasons. I'm sure there are legit ones there, but having only played 2/3 of 13 I can't say what they are. I just know that despite the ultra linearity of 13 I was actually interested in the story and characters. I found the hatred for it baffling, especially after a such weak entry in XII. Never played XV outside of its tutorial so I have no opinion. I just notice that its seems to be a game people are more disappointed in than actively hate.

Sorry to break up the Final Fantasy talk for things only I care about but...

Beyond Good & Evil creator Michel Ancel has left Ubisoft to work at an wildlife sanctuary (no I am not making that up)

Ubisoft says that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still totally happening and that Ancel hadn't been working on the project for months.

My "favorite" quote is that Ubisoft "aims" to show gameplay footage sometime next year.

I would say we are gonna have a new "game that spent the longest time in development hell" but this game is never fucking coming out

• Haha 1

Appreciate all the FF feedback. Thank you to those who responded. What is the general opinion on Mystic Quest? Loved the box art as a kid but never played it. Why wasn't it considered an actual sequel? 

Also, how do Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem match up with Final Fantasy as series? I was hella tempted to play the latest Dragon Quest but putting a tonne of time into Persona 4 Golden in June and July scratched my RPG itch for the time being. I may check out some FF or Dragon Quest next time while I wait for Royal to come down in price. 

I was able to pre-order a disc drive PS5 with the Sony email invite, so that's neat. Also got a second controller and Miles Morales. Demons Souls was already sold out and it's only been an hour. Oh well, digital for that unless stores have it at Black Friday. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Appreciate all the FF feedback. Thank you to those who responded. What is the general opinion on Mystic Quest? Loved the box art as a kid but never played it. Why wasn't it considered an actual sequel? 

Mythic Quest is fun though super simple. Its one I don't hear much hate or love for.

14 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Also, how do Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem match up with Final Fantasy as series? I was hella tempted to play the latest Dragon Quest but putting a tonne of time into Persona 4 Golden in June and July scratched my RPG itch for the time being. I may check out some FF or Dragon Quest next time while I wait for Royal to come down in price. 

DQ is a fun series. Its generally less complicated than FF as its very traditional in it's setting & gameplay. I like the series a good deal though I probably still prefer FF for variety in characters, settings, & story. Not that DQ doesn't have some nice stuff in story. DQ IV, V, & 7 do some neat stuff story wise. 

• Like 1