DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Sony may change their minds about Horizon: Forbidden West being a PS4 game too. I can see them cancelling it and putting more into the PS5 version to make it a system seller.

I'm surprised by Spider-Man Miles being a PS4 title -- it may be too soon to change it to a PS5 only game so it's fine if it's a PS4 game.

I'm also surprised that DMC 5 SE is a PS4 title too.

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

Sony may change their minds about Horizon: Forbidden West being a PS4 game too. I can see them cancelling it and putting more into the PS5 version to make it a system seller.

I'm surprised by Spider-Man Miles being a PS4 title -- it may be too soon to change it to a PS5 only game so it's fine if it's a PS4 game.

I'm also surprised that DMC 5 SE is a PS4 title too.

I've read as of now that Horizon will be PS4 also but that Ratchet & Clank and God of War will be PS5 only.  So we'll see how this plays out. I think Horizon does look like a pretty big upgrade from the previous version. 

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

This is interesting, considering Sony previously gave the impression they wanted to transition away from the PS4 almost immediately.  I thought they outright said that they weren’t interested in releasing titles for both PS4 and PS5.

https://www.psu.com/news/sony-confirms-ps4-will-continue-to-be-supported-for-the-next-4-years/

They did not. From early on they said the PS4 would still be supported for at least a couple of years with games coming out on both it and PS5. The fact is they aren't getting most of their sales from early numbers and know it. They aren't going to kill the PS4 immediately in hopes of people switching over, especially after covid has hurt the economy world wide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I managed to pre-order two, one at Amazon and one at Best Buy... I figured two was safer in case one gets cancelled. Best Buy made it difficult but I am bored at work, nothing better to do than keep clicking the Place Order button. I hope the Xbox pre-orders are easier next week but not holding my breath.

Course as things tend to go, I wanted to get the Xbox Series S (hate these names) but I don't like that they made it quite a bit weaker, its not the step up I'd like to next Gen. I never get the mid-gen updated consoles (X or Pro) so I'd prefer the one I purchase from the jump to be as powerful as possible. But I don't need the disk drive. Guess I have a week to think about it.

9 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

They spent a lot of time on Deathloop, which I went from liking to "God this looks like a painfully unfun mixture of Dishonored and the worst parts of Majora's Mask."

Well funnily since it is being made by Arkane Studios (the folks who did the Dishonored games) you may be more right than you realized

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

They did not. From early on they said the PS4 would still be supported for at least a couple of years with games coming out on both it and PS5. The fact is they aren't getting most of their sales from early numbers and know it. They aren't going to kill the PS4 immediately in hopes of people switching over, especially after covid has hurt the economy world wide.

Thanks.  I don't know where I got that idea.  I seem to recall reading an article where a Sony rep stated that the company had n interest in producing first-party games for two generations and first-party support would be discontinued almost immediately.   Can't find that article now, so I either misread the comment or am just mis-remembering.  No harm done.

Sony now says that they've tested thousands of PS4 games on the PS5 and 99% are compatible.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-will-be-backwards-compatible-with-99-percent-of-the-thousands-of-ps4-games-sony-has-tested

• Like 2

I had zero interest in Godfall and then I saw it got a significant facelift in its latest or one of its latest gameplay vids and now I have a very small passing interest. It definitely had some game as a service vibes but a producer is trying to distance the game from that label saying it has a sense of completion to it at release. 

Disgaea 6 announced as a Switch exclusive.  And they're moving from 2D sprites to 3D models.  Not sure how I feel about that part since the great 2D art was part of the appeal for me, but it looks like they did a nice job on the models, at least.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

I found the quote that gave me the impression first-party PS4 support would end almost immediately.

Here's what Sony's Jim Ryan told our sister site GamesIndustry.biz in May:

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

There are a few similar quotes along those lines.   Apparently, I'm not the only person that thought the "Generations" talking point meant PS5 exclusives.  Seen a lot written about the surprise PS4 announcements today, with a lot of gaming press sites being critical.

Sony's handling the pr aspect of this surprisingly poorly.  I shouldn't have to spend 20 min on Twitter trying to figure out what the PS5 launch lineup is.  Likewise, I feel bad for anyone who read that PS5 pre-orders would begin today, and then got up this morning to discover that several major retailers opened pre-orders yesterday and are already sold out.  

I was surprised to read today that DMC5 Remastered is also a Xbox title.  Sony didn't say it was a PS5 exclusive, but I assumed it was since it was in a showcase devoted to Sony exclusives (thinking about it, Deathloop may not be a Sony exclusive either, but didn't give it any thought at the time).

• Like 1

As much as I'll agree that Sony isn't communicating well at the moment, there is a definite possibility that they weren't ready to announce the price and the pre-order and all that stuff quite yet and it's mostly a reaction to Microsoft being forced to reveal information due to a leak. Both Microsoft and Sony might have had a different timetable but it all got expedited, perhaps? I don't know, just throwing it out there, no reason I should be going to bat for a mega corporation ?

7 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Deathloop may not be a Sony exclusive either, but didn't give it any thought at the time

It was announced as an exclusive during its premiere trailer. I assume it will be a timed one though I don't think it was ever confirmed one way or the other. 

9 minutes ago, Eoae said:

There are a few similar quotes along those lines.   Apparently, I'm not the only person that thought the "Generations" talking point meant PS5 exclusives.  Seen a lot written about the surprise PS4 announcements today, with a lot of gaming press sites being critical.

Yeah I didn't think you were pulling it from nowhere. I just remember the general rumblings from when they first announced PS5's existence. PS4 would still be supported and PS5 would be backwards compatible with PS4 games. Those two stuck out to me at the time.

34 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

As much as I'll agree that Sony isn't communicating well at the moment, there is a definite possibility that they weren't ready to announce the price and the pre-order and all that stuff quite yet and it's mostly a reaction to Microsoft being forced to reveal information due to a leak. Both Microsoft and Sony might have had a different timetable but it all got expedited, perhaps? I don't know, just throwing it out there, no reason I should be going to bat for a mega corporation ?

I mean, it's mid-September. This shit launches in less than two months. How could they not be ready to announce pricing and pre-order info? This shit was announced at E3 in the past with November launches. They had forever to do this and have had the price point and launch set for months. Each company just played a stupid game of seeing who would blink first.

• Like 5

Am I the only one who hates that Final Fantasy has become more of an action RPG franchise instead of a traditional turn-based RPG franchise?  Honestly, between Persona 5, Trails of Cold Steel, and Octopath Traveller, this generation of RPGs has made it pretty clear that you can make a great turn based battle system.  I'll probably end up playing XVI, but I much prefer a clever turn based system over a hack and slash.

• Like 2

I really loved FF7-R. I thought it was probably the perfect blend of ATB meeting an action RPG combat system. If FF16 plays like that then I don't think I'll mind, but my bigger concern is that this looks so much like the Witcher. You have this powerful, sword wielding guardian that also hunts giant Final Fantasy monsters and guards an ultra powered child that a kingdom is afraid of. I love the Witcher, but I don't want FF games to be...that. I doubt you're going to have the main hero fucking prostitutes and witches, but it's practically the only thing that's lacking.

I really don't think we're getting anything close to FF9 ever again. It's all emo shit from X on out. They've made a conscious choice to not say bye bye to whimsy, job systems, and now, from what it looks like, parties. The main FF thing in this is a magical crystal.

I think what would be nice is if Squeenix did the CoD thing. Have two teams working on separate FF games. Let one team work on stuff like FF16 and have another team make something closer to classic FF games.