DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I've had to give up on Final Fantasy being Final Fantasy, at least what I grew up with. I kinda hate they still use the name when the games don't feel in any way like what I think of a Final Fantasy game being, but they are going to use the name to get sales, nothing I can do about it. But haven't liked a Final Fantasy since X so unless it gets great reviews I'll probably pass on it.

I get everything I need from Final Fantasy from Final Fantasy Record Keeper. It's a mobile game but really easy to play without paying a cent and puts every Final Fantasy together into a sort of FFVI style battle set up. It probably has a couple of years of life left, is a relatively small daily commitment, has lots of endgame content you can strategically build to for months and a great community of people who help each other. It has a lot of different customization and power up functions by now but most of them make sense with time. Even with a small drawn out plot, I'd say it's the best FF game since IX, no question. There's a fest around the corner so it's probably a good time to start if anyone's curious. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

I'm torn.  Would love to only spend 400 bucks, but my PS4 keeps spitting out discs and I have a few games on disc I have either not started or have started and not finished.  So is it worth spending the extra hundred bucks to play Death Stranding, Nier Automata, Final Fantasy XII, Wolfenstein 2, and South Park 2 on disc or save the 100 bucks?  Wait, can I even play those games on disc on PS5?  

Even though I own some of the PS+ games we get with PS5 I am liking getting Monster Hunter and The Last Guardian for "free".

I have a bunch of physical versions of PS4 games, but there's maybe 2 or 3 I even care to keep playing: Fire Pro, Red Dead 2, and Lego Dimensions. Maybe Titanfall 2 also. Of those, I can't imagine they'll re-sell a digital version of Lego Dimensions to play on the PS5, but I would gladly re-buy Fire Pro digitally to play it on the PS5.

I'm just going to blindly assume that my PS4 digital library will transition over to the PS5 and all of them will work. I don't see why they wouldn't, anyway.

Curious as to whether something like my pre-order of CrossCode that is supposed to arrive.... sometime this year, I guess... will work on the PS5.

I got my PS5 pre-ordered along with Spider-Man: Miles Morales. Whew. This is my first time online-ordering at launch and I hated it and hope physical stores never go away. 

Oh Jesus, and away we go, apparently... Best Buy's whole gaming section would not load for me but Target has em. 

I'll sit and wait til Black Friday, fingers crossed they have more units coming. It's supposed to be a combo Xmas gift for the fam/birthday gift for my son, who's 14 on December 28th, along with a bigass new TV. Hopefully that works out. 

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

What are the launch titles? 

Anybody?

Hello?????

Astro’s Playroom

Demon’s Souls

Destruction All-Stars

Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Marvel’s Spider-Man Ultimate Edition

Fortnite

Sackboy’s Big Adventure 

Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla 

New Call of Duty

I think the Showcase said DMC5 Remastered would be available digitally at launch but not sure I heard that right.

Last Showcase indicated The Pathless would be available by the end of 2020.

Edited by Eoae

10 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It's insane to me they spent that big a segment hyping Demon Souls and then didn't even announce it was a launch title on that show, it was on social media. It was kind of a weird conference in general, though it showed off plenty of neat stuff.

They also didn't announce that pre-orders would open until AFTER the presentation, on Twitter. And then they said that pre-orders would open tomorrow, and they opened today. 

Occam's Razor is that they were blindsided by the Xbox price leak and sort of threw this together. 

Announcing Horizon Forbidden West for the PS4 is a really strange decision by Sony.  Either they have a lot of confidence in the console and don't think they need HFW to sell units or.... they've lost confidence.  Announcing Miles Morales for PS4 is equally odd.  They certainly wanted us to think it was a PS5 exclusive a few months ago.  

Really hoping Sackboy's Big Adventure is as good as it looks.  Sumo Digital has done a couple games I've really liked recently.  I thought LBP3 was nearly as good as anything Media Molecule did with the franchise and Snake Pass was a lot of fun.  I thought Snake Pass was a bit genius from a design perspective.  The "realistic" mechanics of your character's movement were really well thought out,

Thought the Showcase was solid but didn't sell me personally on a PS5 right now.  Showing RE, FFXVI, and God of War 2 was fine, but the games are too far out to make me want to pre-order.  Demon's Souls and DMC5 will be fine, but I'm not that excited by remasters.  Do we really need a remaster of a two-year old game?

I wish the FFVI remake rumor had proven to be true.  That would have interested me more than XVI, though the people leading XVI make me cautiously optimistic.

Mostly, my takeway from the presentation was that Sony's got a couple more great PS4 titles in the pipeline.  I was more excited about the PS4 announcements than I am the PS5 launch titles.

2 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Announcing Horizon Forbidden West for the PS4 is a really strange decision by Sony.

If this is the case, then my decision to buy a PS5 just went from 100% to 50% because that's mainly what I wanted the console for. If I can get that, and Cyberpunk works well on a base PS4, then I have no need for a PS5 until Holiday 2021 probably. Same thing with Miles Morales, too, although I saw the announcement about that.

So, thanks for that.

Yeah, some very strange decisions by Sony today with announcements. After a big showcase with the date and price revealed, we shouldn't have to scour twitter to find out what's there at launch. I'm happy though. I managed to get a digital edition from Canadian Best Buy and it's supposed to be delivered by Friday, so that's great. I didn't really want a new console Thursday tbh. I'm thinking Miles Morales and Demon's Souls for sure. I need to see more of the other games before committing but those two games will get me to Fenyx Rising in early December. I'm currently making my way through the last two AC games and not digging the new direction they took with combat and they somehow added seemingly more bullshit side missions/collecting in Origins. The world is so massive too. Like probably too massive, but it's beautiful. So Valhalla may be a pass depending on the rest of Origins and Odyssey. I usually try to do all of the side missions but I just can't. I've been doing some to beef up for main missions and the odd time my OCD will kick in and I'll just start clearing out areas, but come on man. 

Edit: I also just found out my receiver and TV I bought when I got an Xbox One X a few years ago won't play games at 4K, 120hz. Not sure when/if games get there this generation but that will be an expensive upgrade if they do and the FOMO kicks in. 4k 60hz seems fine. Is there a difference between hz and fps? Is FPS the stuff games will run at and hz the hardware that processes it? 

Edited by Jiji

Yeah, the more I've learned over the course of the evening, the more I'm just going with the $35/month Xbox Series X. And I'll probably wind up getting Cyberpunk on the Xbox One since the Xbox Series X will play it AND you'll get upgraded to the Xbox Series X version for free.