DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla has moved it's release date up a week to Nov 10 as to be an official launch title.

Ubisoft said that release date is for all systems but left out PS5. However, if you buy for PS4 you will get a free upgrade to PS5

1 hour ago, Casey said:

It is. The pre-orders Playstation are doing are "first come, first serve" too. Such a weird way to do things.

EA Play is included at no extra cost with Xbox Ultimate Game Pass on the next generation/PC once the consoles release.

It's not just that, you have to be invited to preorder.  I got an invite to ask for an invite.  Seriously.  They said I still might not get an invite.

I think the price will be announced by the time it actually happens, but I'm going for the disc based version anyway - I don't have a 4k Blu Ray player and my obscure horror/genre companies I buy from are starting to do 4k shit.

I forgot about the blu-ray thing. I rarely buy physical movies/TV shows, but when I do, it's nice to have. I just wish they'd hurry up and announce the price though. I don't think they're going to wait until the last minute - I wouldn't be surprised if it happens this week, just to take away the spotlight that's on Xbox right now.

What I will say, though, is that I'm down for a financing option with 0% APR like Xbox is offering, though. Ultimate Game Pass for two years + the console is only something like >$15 cheaper than buying it all separate from each other (without factoring in taxes) - but for someone like me, right now, that has a ton of medical bills coming up, and I'll be on disability for another month only getting 60% of my paycheck... it's a nice option to have.

Can anyone convince me why I would need an Xbox Series S AND a PS5? As someone that doesn't care about stuff like Halo, I don't know why I'd need both, since I could just play it on PS5 (plus Sony's exclusives are generally better - for me anyway). But I said this on another board: $299 for the Series S is ridiculously low for a next-gen console, and I'm really tempted.

If you play with friends who are only on XBOX?

That is my biggest reason - since almost my entire gaming "community" is in the XBOX world

(I mean obviously the stuff available via Game Pass also might make the difference but I admit that is one thing I haven't really paid attention too since I don't use it)

• Like 1

I only felt like I missed out on two Xbox exclusives this gen - Sunset Overdrive and the Dead Rising that wasn't the one we eventually got on PS4 as Frank's Big Package.

If it was the other way around I probably would have lost my mind over Spider-Man, the Yakuza games that Xbox didn't get, FIRE PRO WRESTLING WORLD JESUS FUCKING CHRIST and Predator Hunting Grounds (since I played that a lot with my friends).

Most of my friends are on Playstation now.  Last gen, a lot of them were on PS3 when I was on 360.  That didn't sway me as much as never giving those melty system motherfuckers another dime for hardware again, but I'm not really being that much of a dick about it.  I just like weird mostly Japanese developed games, and while MS is trying to get more of those, Sony seems to just keep getting them no matter what.

• Like 1

My gaming friends are all over the place so it makes it difficult to really get on the same page. I was dead set against getting a PS5 before getting to a lot of current and past gen games I've been meaning to play for years and never got around to. But one of them was Demon's Souls and that is a launch title on PS5 and it looks amazing... SOOOOOOO. ? I'm guessing the launch titles beyond that will probably suck but I'm going to give it a shot trying to find one and maybe slowly make my way through some of those old games as good next gen games slowly enter the fray. 

edit: and Miles Morales of course. Keep forgetting that's a launch title.

Edited by Jiji

I’m invested in the XBOX infrastructure. Doubt I’ll change that, as I’ve preferred the experience, for the most part. When the time for the PS5 “Pro” or whatever they call it comes, I’ll pick up a cheaper base model for the exclusives. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

If you play with friends who are only on XBOX?

That is my biggest reason - since almost my entire gaming "community" is in the XBOX world

This,

I'll get one of the xbox versions, hopefully close to launch.  Dunno which one, though.  

This might be the first time I don't get a Playstation since PS1.  I've barely turned my PS4 on in the last year or two.

13 minutes ago, Shane said:

I’m invested in the XBOX infrastructure. Doubt I’ll change that, as I’ve preferred the experience, for the most part. When the time for the PS5 “Pro” or whatever they call it comes, I’ll pick up a cheaper base model for the exclusives. 

I'm kinda the same way, except Sony.  I've been with them since the PS3, so why switch now?  I don't do multiplayer so what my friends have doesn't really matter and most exclusives don't really move the dial for me.

I also won't buy a new console until at least after the first price drop and the library is more fleshed out so it's more of an academic question for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

It's not just that, you have to be invited to preorder.  I got an invite to ask for an invite.  Seriously.  They said I still might not get an invite.

I think the price will be announced by the time it actually happens, but I'm going for the disc based version anyway - I don't have a 4k Blu Ray player and my obscure horror/genre companies I buy from are starting to do 4k shit.

I technically have a 4K Blu Ray player that has been collecting dust.  But while I'll still have the PS4 hooked up for now PS5 having that on top of everything else is one main reason I'm getting it.  I don't dip into 4K movies as much but it sure would be nice to get that to go with the 4K TV and such.

And man do I now realize how much of a first world problem that is.  My bad.  But if PS5 had financing available then I'd be doing that in a heartbeat.

I realize I just spoke negatively about the "digital only" XBOX just a page ago, but after reflecting I realized I only use my XBOX now for game pass ultimate and I use my PS4 to buy physical media and everything else. So I may get a regular PS5 and a digital only XBOX, that should suit my needs ok.

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I only felt like I missed out on two Xbox exclusives this gen - Sunset Overdrive and the Dead Rising that wasn't the one we eventually got on PS4 as Frank's Big Package.

I'd throw in Ori and the Blind Forest and Will of the Wisps, but, yeah. I still love my 360 and play it regularly, but I mostly felt like Xbox One didn't deliver the games (exclusives, mostly).  I bought an Xbox One fairly quickly because I'm a fan of some of their tentpole franchises (Gears, Halo, the Forza games) but I only have a couple dozen for it (compared to several hundred for other consoles).

Outside of Halo, Gears, both Forza franchises, I'm hard pressed to recommend much outside of Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Sea of Thieves, and....Rare Replay, maybe?  It had an HD remaster of Conker that I enjoyed.  There were a couple of very good digital games that were exclusive to Xbox, at least for awhile.    

Honestly, Forza is good reason not to invest in the series S.  I mostly just buy digital games these days, but the exception is racing games since the licensing issues typically get them delisted after a couple years.

My biggest concern with moving from the PS4 to the PS5 is how wishy washy they've been regarding backwards compatibility. Every time it comes up, I swear they dial back the expectations for it more and more. I have a lot of games saved from PSN+, not to mention I never had an Xbox One and all of my console games were on the PS4. I'm really thinking that most of those games won't be backwards compatible since not many are first party titles. It's basically Spider-Man and...I can't think of whatever else I have that's first party on the PS4.

If I'm going to have to keep my PS4 going to play most everything I have now, then I may just switch to the Xbox Series X because I already subscribed to the Ultimate Game Pass for the PC and my Note20 Ultra. That thing is really fucking cool and xCloud works better than Stadia. Being able to do all of that and more with an XSX has more allure to it than sticking with a PS5 just because I have all of 1 or 2 friends left that still play console games. Plus, I've always liked the Xbox controller more than the DualShock and the XSX looks like the more powerful system.

Now, if everything on the PS4 can be played on the PS5 then that changes things. I could really see myself doing the normal PS5 system and XSS, even though the lack of 4K/UHD on the XSS is kinda dumb. The XSS just seems like a moderate upgrade over the Xbox One X, if it's even that, but without a disc drive and 3x less powerful than the XSX. I can just see a scenario pop up with the two Xbox systems where the XSS isn't powerful enough to play something like Cyberpunk 2077 without problems and you're told to just play the game over whatever they're going to call xCloud instead. That itself is pretty fucking lame.

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if all PS4 titles aren't playable on the PS5 - or at least a really good chunk of them. I don't expect to be able to play older generation games, nor do I want to, but it seems like the sensible thing would be for at least PS4 titles to work. Doing some Googling and they've apparently said, this year, that the "overwhelming majority" of PS4 games will be playable at launch, already tested the top 100 most played games, and are testing thousands more in the lead-up to the launch.

So, yeah, if a good amount or all of them aren't compatible with the PS5 I would be shocked (and I imagine that would drive a lot of people to Microsoft, too).

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if all PS4 titles aren't playable on the PS5 - or at least a really good chunk of them. I don't expect to be able to play older generation games, nor do I want to, but it seems like the sensible thing would be for at least PS4 titles to work. Doing some Googling and they've apparently said, this year, that the "overwhelming majority" of PS4 games will be playable at launch, already tested the top 100 most played games, and are testing thousands more in the lead-up to the launch.

So, yeah, if a good amount or all of them aren't compatible with the PS5 I would be shocked (and I imagine that would drive a lot of people to Microsoft, too).

I doubt most of the games I want to play are in that top 100. For example, there's no way Fire Pro would be in that list. 

Oh, hmmm, this is very interesting. Microsoft today came out and said that the XSS is essentially the same as the XSX, but there's no disc drive (obviously) and it will only render at 1440p and not 4k. Other than that, it can still put out up to 120 fps, 60 fps is still the minimum, and it, like the XSX, has 40x the I/O bandwidth of the Xbox One.

For $300, that's fucking crazy. I'm legit tempted to just get that except that I still don't have a 4k Blu-Ray player.

I also may just do the financing deal and pay $20 more bucks a month than I'm already paying for the Ultimate Game Pass. $35 a month is crazy good for a top of the line system and probably the best online gaming plan out there.