DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Fuck...

Brian Mitsoda, the lead narrative director behind Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, and Ka'ai Cluney, the creative director, are no longer part of the Bloodlines 2 team.

In a statement released on the official Bloodlines 2 website, Paradox Interactive said this decision was made jointly by Hardsuit Labs and Paradox and that they appreciate the input and contributions of Mitsoda and Cluney, which they consider instrumental to the dark tone of the video game.

Mitsoda had been one of the writers of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, the cult-status predecessor to Bloodlines 2, and he was prominently featured in conventions, announcements, interviews and marketing material. In a statement sent to Rock Paper Shotgun, Mitsoda said that the decision to fire him from the project on July 26 came as a huge surprise. "I’ve worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost five years," he explained. "The story and main cast was initially conceived in my living room. I helped develop the pitch for Hardsuit Labs and helped pitch the project to Paradox in Las Vegas. I’ve been in charge of the narrative since the beginning, working long days and sometimes weekends to deliver a successor to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I’ve never been led to believe that I hadn’t succeeded."

This announcement comes on the heels of a second push to Bloodlines 2's release date. Originally slated for Q3 2019, it was pushed to 2020 and then to some time in 2021. "I was not part of the conversations that led to the decision to delay production, and to my knowledge, there were no delays caused by the Bloodlines 2 narrative development," he added. "I am confident and proud of the work that I and my team put forward. When that work will be seen and what form it will take is unknown to me."

Ka'ai Cluney''s role as creative director will be taken over by Alexandre Mandryka, joining the Bloodlines 2 team as a creative consultant. Mandryka has previously worked on AAA titles like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry.

Edited by J.T.

I was in denial. I have since moved past acceptance and on to grief.  I had heard that Mitsoda had been shown the door, but I did not realize that Cluney had also been sacked.

Alexandre Mandryka being named CD does not exactly fill me with confidence.  If B2 takes on a tone similar to Far Cry or AC, it will probably suck.

Edited by J.T.

Man, everything with Halo Infinite sounds worse and worse. This is definitely probably a step in the right direction for whatever that game is right now, but it bums me out that one of my favorite game series is in this state. Making Halo games should be incredibly easy by now, don't mess with the mechanics too much, and keep the story as Master Chief and UNSC vs some compelling alien threat. Instead they keep going back to the well on the same enemies. I thought 4 would have lead us to a new alien threat, but then 5 gave us...whatever the hell they gave us.

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man, everything with Halo Infinite sounds worse and worse. This is definitely probably a step in the right direction for whatever that game is right now, but it bums me out that one of my favorite game series is in this state. Making Halo games should be incredibly easy by now, don't mess with the mechanics too much, and keep the story as Master Chief and UNSC vs some compelling alien threat. Instead they keep going back to the well on the same enemies. I thought 4 would have lead us to a new alien threat, but then 5 gave us...whatever the hell they gave us.

I was not a big fan of the Cortana heel turn in Halo 5, especially after the powerful gut punch closure of Halo 4.

Edited by J.T.

Black Myth: Wukong will come out before Eldeen Ring does and Black Myth is looking at an international boycott since Game Science's CEO, Feng Ji, likes to say stupid things.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Black Myth: Wukong will come out before Eldeen Ring does and Black Myth is looking at an international boycott since Game Science's CEO, Feng Ji, likes to say stupid things.

I kinda doubt the boycott will amount to much.  I had to google it to find it.  So far, it;'s not even hitting the usual gaming media (I found a couple mentions of it with Google, all from overseas sites with English translations).   I'm guessing that, by the time the game is actually released, gamers will have moved on and be trying to cancel someone else who *gasp* offended them.  

For those who haven't seen the story, Game Science's CEO Feng Ji made a couple explicit comments about the game's reception.  Basically, he made a pair of comments about how the reception to the trailer gave him "pressure in his pants,".  I'm not even sure how accurately his comments are being translated.  One comment stated that Game Science was getting a lot of job applications in the wake of the trailer and that he (Feng Ji) had been licked so many times he couldn't get erect.  I don't really think he was implying applicants were giving him oral sex, so I'm guessing he made some sophmoric joke and it translated badly.

A couple people seem to be trying to tie his comments to misogynistic treatment of women in gaming, but I haven't heard anything that resembles an actual abuse allegation.  Just a dude saying something stupid and making himself look foolish.  I'm giving him a little benefit of the doubt until I hear more.

Edited by Eoae

Yeah, I also thought it was new, but I watched it again and it's the old one that they sent to Gamescon.  Nearly everything from the Lifepaths trailer is also in The Gig trailer.

The Tools of Destruction video is also cut from older footage.

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Wow. I'm out of the loop. Had no idea that there was remaster of Kingdoms of Amateur: Reckoning coming out. 

I'm kinda intrigued by it. I played it when it first came out and remember it as enjoyable, but flawed. But its the game type I primarily play so if I have a gap in the backlog I'll probably pick it up.

• Like 2

Tamarin trailer shown at Gamescom.  Releases September 10th for PC and PS4.  Basically, it's a 3d platformer/metroidvania hybrid starring a cute Nordic monkey.  Developers are mostly former employees of Rare who worked for the company back in the N64 days.

This is probably what I’ll doing while the rest of you play Avengers.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Eoae said:

This is probably what I’ll doing while the rest of you play Avengers.

Hah, jokes on you, I'll be the only one playing Avengers and posting in that thread. That game is near universally hated on this board.

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Hah, jokes on you, I'll be the only one playing Avengers and posting in that thread. That game is near universally hated on this board.

I don't really have an opinion on Avengers.  The beta didn't do a whole lot for me but I'm waiting for reviews before I give it much thought.  Really, I was commenting on how hit-and-miss I am with third-party Triple-A releases.  I make time for first-party games from the big three, but multiplatform games end up in the pile of shame about 2/3 of the way down.  In a perfect world, I should probably be planning Cyberpunk sometime in September or October, but I'm willing to bet that I'll play several indie games instead.  There are just too many indie games every month to sink 50 hours or whatever into the newest Ubisoft game or Crystal Dynamics title.  I just never get around to it, and generally find multiplatform third-party releases less interesting than anything from Sony Worldwide, Nintendo, Microsoft Games. indies, etc.  

There are just too damn many good games these days.

For the record, when I say third-party multiplatform releases, I'm not talking about anything from From Software or PlatinumGames. Lol, those I make time for.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:37 PM, Casey said:

I just want to know if Pym is unlockable or just an NPC. I will eventually get the game no matter what, but Red Jumpsuit Hank who is dealing with the bad shit he did and indirectly caused is my favorite version of my favorite Marvel character, and if SE used him as a teaser when he's not playable it will go from "must have" to "will hope it drops in price before I finish Yakuza 7"

Ubisoft is claiming that the PS5 will only be backwards compatible with PS4 games

A new support page about the transition to next-gen consoles over on Ubisoft’s website appears to confirm that PS3, PS2, and PS1 games will not be backward compatible on PS5.

“Backwards compatibility will be available for supported PlayStation 4 titles, but will not be possible for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, or PlayStation games,” the support page states. While Sony has previously said that PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4 games, it’s never officially said whether any games from past PlayStation consoles will work on the new hardware.

Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.