DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

18 hours ago, Tabe said:

Remake of original game or remake of the first Ubisoft PoP game?

Wasn't Assassin's Creed: Origins mostly the PoP game we wanted on PS4 anyway.  I'm curious to see where they go with this, but unless Mechner is involved, it will be a "wait and see" title for me.  Really, the PS3 gen is fine with me.  That gave us a quality reboot of the franchise, a hd remaster of Sands of Time. and a XBLA remake of the original game with updated graphics.  I kinda doubt the PS4 gen is going to top that. 

Side note: If you haven't read it, Jordan Mechner's book (the expanded version) on the making of the original Prince of Persia is fantastic.

Thanks for reminding me.  A new edition came out in April (30th Anniversary Edition hardcover + ebook) and I forgot to pick it up.  Just ordered.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Wasn't Assassin's Creed: Origins mostly the PoP game we wanted on PS4 anyway.  I'm curious to see where they go with this, but unless Mechner is involved, it will be a "wait and see" title for me.  Really, the PS3 gen is fine with me.  That gave us a quality reboot of the franchise, a hd remaster of Sands of Time. and a XBLA remake of the original game with updated graphics.  I kinda doubt the PS4 gen is going to top that. 

That depends.  If you wanted the original PoP game (the 1989 game) with updated graphics then, no, AC: Origins ain't what you wanted ?  

42 minutes ago, Tabe said:

That depends.  If you wanted the original PoP game (the 1989 game) with updated graphics then, no, AC: Origins ain't what you wanted ?  

Well, no.  Is that what they’re doing?  I’m assuming a PS4 reboot is going to be an open-world 3D game that falls somewhere between AC and God of War.  I kinda felt like Origins was probably pitched as.a PoP game early in development, and got repurposed.

Soneone mentioned screenshots but the article I saw didn’t mention screenshots so I haven’t seen anything.

The 1989 game with updated graphics is literally what Prince is Persia Classic was.  Same gameplay and level design, modern 2.5D graphics.  Only changes to gameplay were giving the Prince some of the abilities he had in the PS2 games: wall running, double jumps, etc.   The game even had the 60 min. time limit of the original. 

1 minute ago, Eoae said:

Well, no.  Is that what they’re doing?  I’m assuming a PS4 reboot is going to be an open-world 3D game that falls somewhere between AC and God of War.  I kinda felt like Origins was probably pitched as.a PoP game early in development, and got repurposed.

Soneone mentioned screenshots but the article I saw didn’t mention screenshots so I haven’t seen anything.

The 1989 game with updated graphics is literally what Prince is Persia Classic was.  Same gameplay and level design, modern 2.5D graphics.  Only changes to gameplay were giving the Prince some of the abilities he had in the PS2 games: wall running, double jumps, etc.   The game even had the 60 min. time limit of the original. 

They're rebooting the first Ubisoft PoP game apparent.

I've never heard of Prince of Persia Classic until now.  Gonna have to try it out (if I can).

Yeah, Tabe, check out Prince of Persia Classic if you can.  It's still available on XBL and PSN for $10, but only for Xbox 360 and PS3.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  It a remake of the 1989 Apple game with the same gameplay and level design but new visuals.  I actually wouldn't have minded if they'd dropped the 60 min time limit, but they didn''t.

16 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Based on the artwork I saw leaked, it looks like a remake of the first Ubisoft PoP game. But then one piece of artwork looks like it came from The Two Thrones, so who knows.

I haven't seen the artwork, but PoP Classic changed the aesthetic to look similar to Sands of Time.

The reports I've seen this week just said a leaked retailer listing indicated a new PoP title might be released later this year.  No details beyond that.

Black Myth has my interest, though I'll assuming it is/will end up being a PS5 release.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

Bloomberg News is reporting their will be a new Switch model - Switch Pro, basically - and slew of new games released in the same time frame.  Their tech reporter also said Nintendo is going to be fairly quiet through the holidays and cede Christmas sales to the PS5 and next gen Xbox.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-25/nintendo-plans-upgraded-switch-console-and-major-games-for-2021

The Switch rumor broke yesterday, but seems more substantial now that major outlets are reporting it.

Also, Lab Zero Games is apparently the latest studio to be caught up in some sort of inappropriate behavior/terrible working conditions scandal.

Just now, Jiji said:

I really do hate how consoles are becoming more and more like phone releases. 

Well, at least people still use video game consoles for their primary function.

• Like 1

With the Switch fan having issues at first we were thinking to get a second one to use while she potentially ships it out to get repaired.  But if these rumors end up being true then we might hold off on another Switch until then.

I've heard my Switch's fan act up when I'm playing outside in sunlight and it's hot, like 85-95 degrees, for more than a few minutes. Otherwise it's golden.

Why are first wave consoles released with clear defections in them? Do they do it to entice people who already bought a machine to upgrade? Did older generation of machines fuck up like this? The NES had issues reading cartridges after several years, didn't it? But we're talking like a decade plus from its release. SNES is a damn tank. Genesis never gave me problems, neither did the N64. 

Edited by Jiji

Dev cycles, have to get consoles to market by X time then deal with the issues after the fact.  Some of them are just because they ended up in situations they never realized happened (like half the OG XBox overheats were because they were getting stuck in trial display cases or entertainment centers with shit ventilation and zero airflow.)  

The NES did have issues down the line, but they were easily fixed comparatively, but that was because of the NES's design flaw of the contacts never actually coming into contact with each other (which is why blowing "kinda" worked, because any type of dust borked the conductivity.)  I know there's a bunch of aftermarket NES's that had the original slots replaced with ones that had better connections on the contacts.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 4:12 PM, Doc Townsend said:

At  this point, my most eagerly anticipated game that I hope might come out before the end of 2020 is probably the Last Campfire.    Sigh.  It'll probably end up being held back to be a PS5 exclusive. 

FYI: Last Campfire is being released tomorrow (Thursday).

Okay I know it's not Skate shut the fuck up but Tony Hawk 1 & 2 demo is really really good and the game looks like it's going to kick all kinds of ass.

But mannnnnnnnnnn do I suck at Tony Hawk now.  It took me two days to land a 900.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Jiji said:

Fuck the entire Call of Duty franchise for putting out a kill the commies for Reagan sama trailer a day after a Boogaloo Boy killed two protestors. 

They censored the teaser trailer, globally, because China objected to the Tiananmen Square footage being included.

Microsoft looking to its past to try and save Halo Infinite

Helping HANDS

As the team focuses on hitting our new launch window for the game, two Halo veterans have offered their helping hands. Pierre Hintze, the Head of our Publishing Team (MCC), will be joining the Halo Infinite team as a project lead for our Free-To-Play experience. He and his team have demonstrated an amazing ability to deliver new content, an excellent flighting program, and substantive updates across MCC over the past year. We look forward to having his expertise directly on the Halo Infinite team as we look to deliver a quality Free-To-Play multiplayer experience for everyone.

And last, but certainly not least, we’re excited to announce that our old friend Joseph Staten will be returning home to Halo for a bit. After helping launch Tell Me Why this week, he'll be coming on board as project lead for campaign as we push towards our 2021 release. The team has been working hard realizing our vision for campaign and we’re happy to have Joseph’s help to get it to the finish line.

For those of you who don’t know Joseph Staten, he wore many hats while working at Bungie for all of their Halo titles and even Destiny before joining the Xbox Games Studios family in 2014. If you enjoy Halo’s storylines, characters, and overall universe, he’s definitely one of the key people you have to thank. As product lead on Halo Infinite, however, Joseph will be focused on supporting the campaign team’s existing, talented, creative leaders and ensuring they have everything they need to create an awesome Halo game. His return to the franchise excites me and we’re all looking forward to having him on board!