DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

On 7/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, JLSigman said:

They remaking (or remastering) SMT 3: Nocturne for PS4 and Switch

I tried to play Nocturne back when it was on PS2, but could not get past the ridiculously hard default difficulty. I'll be keeping an eye out to see if they offer more choices with that.

Bit more info - If you want Dante, you'll have to pay $10 extra for it. Because they're basing this remaster off the build that didn't have him, not the build that was released in America that DID have him, it'll cost extra to have him.

I r annoyed.

8 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Bit more info - If you want Dante, you'll have to pay $10 extra for it. Because they're basing this remaster off the build that didn't have him, not the build that was released in America that DID have him, it'll cost extra to have him.

I r annoyed.

That is kind of shitty of them. Luckily I have never played a DMC game while I have played Devil Summoner to some extent so I prefer to have Raidou anyways.

• Like 1

The only PS3 game that still gets fairly regular play in my house is Skate3, so while I'd love the 5 to be able to play all the other games, we can just leave the old system hooked up. 5 being at least close to fully compatible with 4 games? That's huge for us, since we have a pretty vast (mostly digital) library that all of us enjoy, plus I like to bring the 4 on work trips to combat boring hotel nights. 

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - interesting little thing from Phil Spencer regarding the Halo Infinite delay

Microsoft considered splitting up Infinite and releasing it in parts but eventually decided against that.

Lends some credibility to that rumor that they were, at one point anyway, considering launching the game without multiplayer, which they were so quick to shoot down.

I kinda want to go back and look at their denial now to see if it was worded in a cheeky way.  “We have no plans to launch  Halo Infinite without multiplayer this Fall (because we’re not launching Halo Infinite this fall lol).”

They should launch more games without multiplayer. Give everyone a few weeks to do the story mode and get their chops up before it becomes a competitive environment.

I wished I'd posted that before I spotted the typo. I spelled it Mulitplayer. They should launch more games with Mulletplayer. Instead of having cheats to activate big head mode, there should be cheats to activate Big Mullet Mode.

• Like 3

I'll never forget how poorly the E3 went for the Xbox One. A lot of that was because of how fucking dumb Don Mattrick was and is and why Microsoft even went with him and not Phil Spencer to begin with. And then Sony gives their presentation and eats Microsoft's lunch.

Notice how long Mattrick lasted in his role after that E3.

I don't see anything similar to that happening this time around because Phil Spencer isn't out of his element or anything, but I do think that both companies are struggling with selling a system in an incredibly unique year without any system sellers. For the XSX/XSS the system seller is going to be bundled Live/Game Pass/xCloud. The Giant Bombcast was doing some speculation that with Halo getting delayed, they wouldn't be surprised if xCloud only worked on the XSX/XSS and Android at first, with PC and Xbox One following soon after. 

I'm still not sure what I'll do, but I think I'll just wind up holding off on buying a PS5 or Xbox this fall. The only thing that might force my hand is if my PS4 dies in the next couple months (I tried cleaning out the inside of the system and that didn't help) or if xCloud looks really awesome. There's a bunch of Xbox One games I missed out on since I never had one and if I can play those then I'll make the jump.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'll never forget how poorly the E3 went for the Xbox One. A lot of that was because of how fucking dumb Don Mattrick was and is and why Microsoft even went with him and not Phil Spencer to begin with. And then Sony gives their presentation and eats Microsoft's lunch.

Yeah, Microsoft was all-in on killing off used games and sharing discs and killed all their goodwill from the 360 in like 5 seconds.  And then Sony's all "yeah, of course, you can share discs and buy used games".  Game over.  Kinda like Sony introducing the original Playstation by just saying "$299" and walking off after the Saturn's disastrous $399 launch.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm still not sure what I'll do, but I think I'll just wind up holding off on buying a PS5 or Xbox this fall. The only thing that might force my hand is if my PS4 dies in the next couple months (I tried cleaning out the inside of the system and that didn't help) or if xCloud looks really awesome. There's a bunch of Xbox One games I missed out on since I never had one and if I can play those then I'll make the jump.

Replacement fan assemblies cost around $35 with new paste included.  If you're comfortable enough taking the case apart enough to clean the fan, you should be able to do the swap without issue.

EDIT: Forgot, the old PS4 Fats had an issue with the Heatsinks getting clogged up. https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/489307/After+cleaning+PS4,+PS4+still+does+produce+loud+sound+and+turns+off

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, Microsoft was all-in on killing off used games and sharing discs and killed all their goodwill from the 360 in like 5 seconds.  And then Sony's all "yeah, of course, you can share discs and buy used games".  Game over.  Kinda like Sony introducing the original Playstation by just saying "$299" and walking off after the Saturn's disastrous $399 launch.

Not to mention I was pretty tired of MS' shit after my 360 melted down TWICE.  It was a perfect storm of events making me move over to PS4 (I skipped PS3 and had all of the systems the previous gen).

Now, I'm so happy with the PS4 that I'm totally planning on going for a PS5 as soon as I can reserve one.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

WWE Battlegrounds Roster:

Spoiler

* AJ Styles
* Akira Tozawa
* Aleister Black
* Alexa Bliss
* Alicia Fox
* Andre The Giant
* Apollo
* Asuka
* Baron Corbin
* Bayley
* Becky Lynch
* Beth Phoenix
* Big E
* Big Show
* Bobby Lashley
* Bobby Roode
* Braun Strowman
* Bray Wyatt
* Brie Bella
* Brock Lesnar
* Carmella
* Cesaro
* Charlotte Flair
* Daniel Bryan
* Dolph Ziggler
* Drew McIntyre
* Edge (Pre-order bonus)
* Elias
* Ember Moon
* Finn Bálor
* Hulk Hogan
* Jake "The Snake" Roberts
* Jeff Hardy
* John Cena
* Kalisto
* Karl Anderson
* Kevin Owens
* Kofi Kingston
* Lince Dorado
* Liv Morgan
* Luke Gallows
* Mandy Rose
* Mankind
* Mickie James
* Naomi
* Natalya
* Nia Jax
* Nikki Bella
* Nikki Cross
* Randy Orton
* Rey Mysterio
* Ricochet
* Roman Reigns
* Ronda Rousey
* Rowan
* R-Truth
* Samoa Joe
* Sasha Banks
* Seth Rollins
* Sgt. Slaughter
* Shawn Michaels
* Shinsuke Nakamura
* Stephanie McMahon
* Stone Cold Steve Austin
* The Miz
* The Rock
* Triple H
* Undertaker
* Xavier Woods
* Yokozuna

Post-Launch Roster:

* Akam
* Ali
* Alundra Blayze
* Andrade
* Angelo Dawkins
* Batista
* Big Boss Man
* Billie Kay
* Bo Dallas
* Booker T
* Bret "Hit Man" Hart
* British Bulldog
* Buddy Murphy
* Cactus Jack
* Chad Gable
* Christian
* Chyna
* Curtis Axel
* Dana Brooke
* Doink The Clown
* Earthquake
* Eddie Guerrero
* Fandango
* Goldberg
* Gran Metalik
* Jey Uso
* Jim Neidhart
* Jimmy Uso
* Kane
* Kevin Nash
* Lana
* Lita
* "Macho Man" Randy Savage
* Mark Henry
* Maryse
* Mojo Rawley
* Montez Ford
* Mr. McMahon
* Mr. Perfect
* Otis
* Paige
* Peyton Royce
* Rezar
* Rhea Ripley
* Ric Flair
* Ricky Steamboat
* "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
* Ruby Riott
* Sami Zayn
* Scott Hall
* Shane McMahon
* Sheamus
* Sonya Deville
* Sting
* Tamina
* The Boogeyman
* The Brian Kendrick
* Trish Stratus
* Tucker
* Tyler Breeze
* Typhoon
* Ultimate Warrior
* Vader

Rundown of what they announced (in order the games appear in video, spoilered for size):

Spoiler

Switch port of Hades

Hyperspace Outlaw - some sort of retro adventure.  Couldn't tell much about actual gameplay.  Demo drops today.  Game out on Aug. 27.

Spiritfarer from Thunder Lotus Games, maker of Jotun and Sundered.  Adventure/management sim about guiding souls to the afterlife.  Out today.

Garden Story - top-down adventure (think SNES adventures).  Reminded me of Harvest Moon.  Out 2021.

Subnautica/Subnautica: Below Zero.  Come to Switch next year.

Takeshi & Hiroshi.  Brotherly bonding?  Drops today.

RajI: Ancient Evil.  Action/Adventure set in Ancient India.  Looks different.  Released later today.  Will be a Switch timed exclusive.

Bear & Breakfast.  Inn management sim.  You play as an anthropomorphic bear who owns an inn.  2021.

A Short Hike - Switch port of a PC walking sim.  Probably my favorite walking sim of past few years.  Timed console exclusive.

Card Shark - some sort of card game set during.... the French Revolution, maybe? 2021

Torchlight III - Fall.  Don't think Runic Games is involved.  I'd prefer they do Hob 2 anyway.

Manifold Garden - abstract puzzle game.  Out later today.

Evergate - 2d puzzle-platformer set in the afterlife.  Out later today.

Untitled Goose Game - soon

There was also a montage of some other forthcoming indie games, but each clip was only a couple secs.  I'll have to go back and watch the video again to see what all what is that.

Edited by Mario Hobb
  • Like 1

Baldur's Gate III preview. Early access has about 20 hours of gameplay, supports internet/lan multiplayer (splitscreen later), you start in hell in the middle of the blood war. Owl bear cub companion, intellect devourer companion possibly... If you have a pet or other animals in your camp, the cub will potentially attack them. You can explore a tonne of the world through your familiar. 

Early access date is September 30th for both PC and Stadia. Could be delayed again of course. 

This is going to be phenomenal. 

• Like 3

Hardsuit Labs fired the lead writer and creative director on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2.  

https://www.pcgamer.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-fires-lead-writer-brian-mitsoda-together-with-creative-director/

Seems to be a creative decision, not some sort of misconduct allegation.  Both men say they weren't told of any dissatisfaction with the project before being unexpectedly removed.  So.... probably not seeing that game for quite awhile.  Hopefully Hardsuit will use the extra time to work another subtitle into the name of the game.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Via another video game retailer leak - apparently Ubisoft is working on a Prince of Persia remake

I can't imagine this being more interesting than the 2008 reboot.  That was one of my favorite games of the generation, but it failed so badly Ubisoft went back to the PS2 trilogy and released a "lost story" from that continuity, then abandoned the ip for ten years.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Via another video game retailer leak - apparently Ubisoft is working on a Prince of Persia remake

Remake of original game or remake of the first Ubisoft PoP game?

Side note: If you haven't read it, Jordan Mechner's book (the expanded version) on the making of the original Prince of Persia is fantastic.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 3:37 PM, odessasteps said:

Some of the Indy games looked interesting, esp Card Sharks.

GX already has a review of the PC version of Spiritfairer up already. 

There's some really neat looking games that we're interested in. But I can tell that Spiritfairer will be hell-bent on making us cry. And something tells me they'll succeed. 

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Remake of original game or remake of the first Ubisoft PoP game?

Side note: If you haven't read it, Jordan Mechner's book (the expanded version) on the making of the original Prince of Persia is fantastic.

Based on the artwork I saw leaked, it looks like a remake of the first Ubisoft PoP game. But then one piece of artwork looks like it came from The Two Thrones, so who knows.

Personally, I want the 2008 Prince of Persia with Nolan North to get a 4K remaster. It was ahead of its time on Xbox 360 & PS3.

Also, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered is supposed to be announced soon, same with Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered.

• Like 1