DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

If it’s any consolations I would imagine that if there is a ME trilogy remaster, BioWare isn’t the studio making it.  Most of these modern remasters get farmed out to support studios that seem to specialize in remakes, like Bluepoint and Vicarious Visions, so that the main studio can keep focusing on new stuff. (Even Square tried to farm out the FF7 remake, at first.)

Edited by EVA

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I only played through 1. I started playing 2 and didn't get far because I got distracted by something else. And 3 I never even tried.

For whatever this remaster is, I hope you at least have the option of skipping 1 entirely. I thought 1 was...good?...but there's a whole lot of shit that's frustrating about it. Namely very samey environments no matter where you went, driving the tank, and some combat stuff. I started to just use head cannon that there was probably a gigantic corporation that developed a very quick way of developing and deploying facilities across multiple planets, like modular homes, which is why everything was the same.

For what I remember from 2, the combat and gameplay felt much better.

This is pretty much my experience as well. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - the controls in 1 are WAY different than 2 or 3. But 1 was much closer to an RPG while 2 and 3 are much closer to shooter.

One would assume that in a remaster they would make things more uniform. However - I would miss AI Hacking all the Geth with an overpowered Tali in 1 if they did change it

Remasters are basically graphics updates with maybe some minor tech improvements to make the games play smoother. Changing the battle system to be uniform would go the route of Remake which I doubt they will ever do.

32 minutes ago, EVA said:

If it’s any consolations I would imagine that if there is a ME trilogy remaster, BioWare isn’t the studio making it.  Most of these modern remasters get farmed out to support studios that seem to specialize in remakes, like Bluepoint and Vicarious Visions, so that the main studio can keep focusing on new stuff. (Even Square tried to farm out the FF7 remake, at first.)

I don't recall hearing this. Who was supposed to work on it?

Early development was handled by CyberConnect2 before it fell apart for different reasons (depending on which side you talk to) and famously ended up in Nomura’s lap without him even knowing about it while still working on KH3.

• Like 1

BTW - I guess it should be noted that the ME remastered talk popped up again because it showed up on UK retailer GAME's list of upcoming games

It is listed as N7: Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered and is supposedly coming out Sept 29

EDIT - other are saying the the updated date is Oct 30. Again take everything with a grain of salt

15 minutes ago, EVA said:

Early development was handled by CyberConnect2 before it fell apart for different reasons (depending on which side you talk to) and famously ended up in Nomura’s lap without him even knowing about it while still working on KH3.

I can't even imagine what the game would've been like if Nomura hadn't done it.  Well, ok, it would've been a scene for scene remake with updated graphics and nothing that made it mind blowing...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

Interesting. I don't recall the remake even being announced until Nomura was attached. When and how did this info come out?

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Interesting. I don't recall the remake even being announced until Nomura was attached. When and how did this info come out?

Famitsu was all over it, but for non-Japanese speakers, here’s a Kotaku article from mid-2017 when the switch happened that neatly summarizes everhthing:

https://kotaku.com/square-enix-is-now-doing-final-fantasy-vii-remake-in-ho-1795630436

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

I mean, this basically just re-releasing the game with some updated graphics and maybe loading times. God, it's been forever, but was Mass Effect the game that disguised loading screens as trips in an elevator? Anyway, I'm not expecting anything more than the recently re-released Saints Row games and honestly, that's all I really want just so I can play 2 and 3 without having to dig out my 360 or signing up for EA's service.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I mean, this basically just re-releasing the game with some updated graphics and maybe loading times. God, it's been forever, but was Mass Effect the game that disguised loading screens as trips in an elevator?

Yes - however considering how much the various conversations your squadmates had in those elevator rides it would make me sad if those were gone

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

It has clear and large framerate drops even running on a PS4 Pro in the Performance Mode option, so uhhhhh sure.

You don’t have to cop an attitude, I’m just telling you my experience.

I have no idea how any of it works, but if I can somehow play all my PSN bought library of PS3 and PS4 games on the PS5 without having to pay anything extra, I will buy the PS5 and sell the other two, it makes sense. However, somehow I don't think I'm that lucky.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

I have no idea how any of it works, but if I can somehow play all my PSN bought library of PS3 and PS4 games on the PS5 without having to pay anything extra, I will buy the PS5 and sell the other two, it makes sense. However, somehow I don't think I'm that lucky.

Sony has said that the PS4 is backwards compatible with PS5 so I feel like it won't be too hard (if Sony keeps the Library function for PS5). But PS3 PSN games I think will be difficult if not impossible for whatever reason. They've been surprisingly quiet on digital downloads being backwards compatible.

Yeah. Sony hasn't bungled this release as badly as MS did with the One but they've definitely not put their best foot forward. Microsoft has at least seemingly learned from their past mistakes with the console release issues from last time (this is ignoring the Halo stuff though). Xbox is super backwards compatible and urging third party game developers to honor people buying current game games with free upgrades to next gen versions. They want full compatibility going back to the original Xbox I believe. Seems like Sony wants people to subscribe to PS Now for psx-ps3 games. 

Apparently, the PS3 architecture was such a monstrosity that it’s just going to be a lost generation, except for the few games that studios are willing to spend a ton of money on to develop complete remasters. Simply porting stuff over digitally is not possible without adding a costly emulator that would drive up the price of the console even further.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EVA said:

Apparently, the PS3 architecture was such a monstrosity that it’s just going to be a lost generation, except for the few games that studios are willing to spend a ton of money on to develop complete remasters. Simply porting stuff over digitally is not possible without adding a costly emulator that would drive up the price of the console even further.

Emulation isn't really a problem - there's already very good emulators for the PC.  The consoles just lack the power to run them.  Sony could easily bring one of the existing emulators in-house, clean it up and make it work - but the PS5 might not be powerful enough. 

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

Hence, it would be costly.

Not really.  Bringing in an existing emulator and throwing a developer or two at it for 6 months, or even a year, would be a drop in the bucket in terms of cost.  Adding hardware...that's different.  The emulator itself, though, would not be expensive.

I think I remember when I got into looking at HTPC's and Raspberry's that to properly emulate a piece of hardware, you need about 4x the original's power.  And that's before you get into the hardware you're trying to emulate's architecture, particularly it's CPU and GPU threading.  It's why N64's and Saturn's are such a fucking nightmare to emulate.  You actually need something like 10x the original console's specs CPU, GPU and RAM wise to even get it's processing right to start playing games.  

BTW - interesting little thing from Phil Spencer regarding the Halo Infinite delay (on the Animal Talk show of all places)

Microsoft considered splitting up Infinite and releasing it in parts but eventually decided against that.

The other interesting thing was Spencer talking about having a retail version of Xbox Series X at home so he could compare the noise of the fan to a current One X (and that cooling has been the biggest challenge so far with the new console)

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I think I remember when I got into looking at HTPC's and Raspberry's that to properly emulate a piece of hardware, you need about 4x the original's power.  And that's before you get into the hardware you're trying to emulate's architecture, particularly it's CPU and GPU threading.  It's why N64's and Saturn's are such a fucking nightmare to emulate.  You actually need something like 10x the original console's specs CPU, GPU and RAM wise to even get it's processing right to start playing games.  

The GPU usually is emulated on the CPU as well, isn't it? Emulating a GPU on a GPU probably would make emulation way more complicated. And with emulation, there is always the question of quality w.r.t. accuracy and real-time behaviour. I mean, you could run most SNES games decently on a PC 20 years ago. Though even today, you have to deal with stuff like input lag and I doubt that the more common emulators are cycle-accurate (and how should they be, your standard OS where you run your emulators on, don't have realtime kernels or whatever).

Yeah, it's all through the CPU, which is why hardware emulation is harder on the bigger systems (I think the minimum recommended CPU to do WiiU/PS3 is an i5 at 4.8 GHz.  And even then it uses the RAM to make it up.

Input lag will always exist on emulators because they all use a Virtual Controller to actually do the inputs, since you still have to get the input from the PC to the Emulated software.  I think the Retropie got it down to 2 frames, at least on a NES core, but you're never going to eliminate it, and for some games that require frame perfect stuff, Speed runners are always going to hate EMU's.

4 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Sony has said that the PS4 is backwards compatible with PS5 so I feel like it won't be too hard (if Sony keeps the Library function for PS5). But PS3 PSN games I think will be difficult if not impossible for whatever reason. They've been surprisingly quiet on digital downloads being backwards compatible.

Sony's said contradictory things about backwards compatibility. Based on their latest cryptic rumblings, it seems like most/all PS4 games should work on the PS5, but a few people I've talked to thing Sony will whitelist games so that only games Sony's staff has had time to test will work on PS5.  

Last thing I remember them specifically promising was that the 100 most popular PS4 titles will be backwards compatible at launch.  They inferred the number would be much higher than that, didn't specifically say that.

My physical Sony library is heavy on imports and indie games from Limited Run and such.  And I'm going to end up with a good sized digital indie library by year's end.  I'm not counting too heavily on small indie games being whitelisted any time soon, if they go that route.  The PS TV fiasco kinda soured me on that idea.  The PlayStation TV should have been fully compatible with the Vita catalog but never was.   Basically, most games which relied heavily on the Vita motion controls were not whitelisted.  That's fine on the face of it, but there were a lot of games that had support for the standard controller patched in so it could be done.  More annoyingly, there were a lot of games which were designed to accomodate a standard control scheme but still never got whitelisted because.... Sony never bothered to make them compatible.  

If they do go the whitelist route, I'm skeptical they are going to put in the effort to make 5,000+ PS4 titles compatible.  And, with PS TY, you also got into the digital/physical issue.  Some digital games were compatible with PSTV, but their physical counterparts are not.  PS TV compatibility is a mess to sort out.

Edited by Doc Townsend