DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The two big Avengers problems are the framerate drops (it's pretty clearly a game made for PS5 with a PS4 port), and the lack of an option to turn off the screenshake. One is fixable simply by waiting, the other is fixable by just adding an option.

I haven't had a frame rate drop yet - I thought for sure I'd have one during that Hulk/Ms. Marvel mission where you're trying to find the SHIELD base. When you're holding off the AIM forces so JARVIS can hack or whatever, there's a shitload of people on screen, and a lot of action going on, but no framerate drops that I can remember. The only time the game "glitched" was for a few seconds at the title screen, but that was only on the first day when I booted it up for the first time.

I've seen gifs of the screen shake from the Avengers game subreddit, but I haven't experienced it myself. And speaking of the subreddit, the devs are active on there and watching and commenting in the BETA thread (and the one about bugs and whatnot). So that's good.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 7:55 AM, J.T. said:

I used to be excited about this game.  Now I am not really giving a shit.  2077 and Bloodlines 2 will both ruin my life after they are released so I could stand not to have a third AAA time waster on my Pile of Shame.

About that...

2 hours ago, Casey said:

About that...

Lol, like there's going to be a 2021....

It's probably just as well that I'm not too excited by the Triple A release schedule for the rest of the year.  There are a number of games I'll pick up, but I'm not too excited for AC: Valhalla, Avengers, Cyberpunk, etc.  There's a good chance I don't pick Avengers or Cyberpunk until next year or later.  

I'm sure there will be a lot of good games, but I don't see a lot on the release schedule that's a week one must-buy.  I'm probably most excite for... uh.... Spelunky 2?

I laugh when I see 2021 release dates.  You might as well promise a pony and a PS6 while you're at it.

Yeaaah...that's not good. Like, at all. Man, does the XSX even have a system seller at this point beyond it just being a new system and the bundled Live/XCloud/Game Pass thing?

Although to be fair, I have no idea what the launch system seller for the PS5 is supposed to be.

I don’t want to pat myself too hard on the back, considering it doesn’t take a genius to know that when a company shows a demo from over a year-old build for a game that’s supposed to come out in 4 months, that’s not a great sign for the game coming out on time, but...I called it.

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

I don’t want to pat myself too hard on the back, considering it doesn’t take a genius to know that when a company shows a demo from over a year-old build for a game that’s supposed to come out in 4 months, that’s not a great sign for the game coming out on time, but...I called it.

It reminds me a little of what happened with Halo 2 where they had that big E3 demo that showed a bunch of gameplay in New Mombasa, the game was due to launch that September, it gets delayed for unknown reasons at the time, it gets delayed by more than a freaking year, at that point you can deduce that the demo they showed was either old and nothing from Halo 2, and then Halo 2 comes out and sure enough, it contains nothing from that demo and maybe half of the features they announced would be in the game.

Then even later you find out the entire engine was scrapped, they couldn't do everything they wanted to do, features had to be dialed back, ALL of Warfare mode was cut, etc. 

At this point, I feel like buying a new console any time soon is a little silly.  Game developers are kinda talking in hushed tones about how release dates are going to be affected at least through the end of 2021 and beyond.  I don't have a lot of confidence that the game library for the PS5 or Xbox Series X after 12 or 24 months is going to stack up to the PS4 or Xbox One libraries after the same amount of time on the market.  There may still be a game or sale that gets me to buy a next gen console soon after launch, but at this point, I feel like it would tale a lot.

That said, it was fairly obvious from the last Microsoft presentation and what the developers have said since that Halo Infinite was nowhere near ready

At  this point, my most eagerly anticipated game that I hope might come out before the end of 2020 is probably the Last Campfire.    Sigh.  It'll probably end up being held back to be a PS5 exclusive. 

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

At this point, I feel like buying a new console any time soon is a little silly.  Game developers are kinda talking in hushed tones about how release dates are going to be affected at least through the end of 2021 and beyond.  I don't have a lot of confidence that the game library for the PS5 or Xbox Series X after 12 or 24 months is going to stack up to the PS4 or Xbox One libraries after the same amount of time on the market.  There may still be a game or sale that gets me to buy a next gen console soon after launch, but at this point, I feel like it would tale a lot.

That said, it was fairly obvious from the last Microsoft presentation and what the developers have said since that Halo Infinite was nowhere near ready

At  this point, my most eagerly anticipated game that I hope might come out before the end of 2020 is probably the Last Campfire.    Sigh.  It'll probably end up being held back to be a PS5 exclusive. 

In case you missed it, Last Campfire is supposed be out by the end of the month. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, Halo Infinite getting pushed out like this basically seals me not getting a new console this fall. The problem is, I think my PS4 is starting to die. It's not a launch PS4, but it's one of the PS4s before they even released the slim version. The fan is almost always running high and the system feels hot to the touch all the time.

It's one of the big reasons I was looking at getting a PS5 or XSX. I don't want this shit to die, buy a PS4 Pro or some shit, and then get one of the new consoles later. I guess I'll just try to hold onto this shit for a little while longer and see what happens.

• Like 1

Just now, Craig H said:

Yeah, Halo Infinite getting pushed out like this basically seals me not getting a new console this fall. The problem is, I think my PS4 is starting to die. It's not a launch PS4, but it's one of the PS4s before they even released the slim version. The fan is almost always running high and the system feels hot to the touch all the time.

It's one of the big reasons I was looking at getting a PS5 or XSX. I don't want this shit to die, buy a PS4 Pro or some shit, and then get one of the new consoles later. I guess I'll just try to hold onto this shit for a little while longer and see what happens.

I'm in the same boat with my PS4, it's almost six years old now. I usually don't buy new consoles but have some extra cash and want to make the 4k upgrade. I just don't see any reason to get a PS5 anytime soon though. 

• Like 1

I've been (patiently) waiting for an official Mass Effect Trilogy remake to replay them, I haven't played each one since they were originally released. So that would be a welcome development. I still remember 2 being my favorite but curious is that remains true so many years later.

I only played through 1. I started playing 2 and didn't get far because I got distracted by something else. And 3 I never even tried.

For whatever this remaster is, I hope you at least have the option of skipping 1 entirely. I thought 1 was...good?...but there's a whole lot of shit that's frustrating about it. Namely very samey environments no matter where you went, driving the tank, and some combat stuff. I started to just use head cannon that there was probably a gigantic corporation that developed a very quick way of developing and deploying facilities across multiple planets, like modular homes, which is why everything was the same.

For what I remember from 2, the combat and gameplay felt much better.

As I always say - I will believe the Mass Effect remaster exists when I am actually playing it

Yeah - the controls in 1 are WAY different than 2 or 3. But 1 was much closer to an RPG while 2 and 3 are much closer to shooter.

One would assume that in a remaster they would make things more uniform. However - I would miss AI Hacking all the Geth with an overpowered Tali in 1 if they did change it

EDIT - Also - and I have said this before - my biggest thing would be bringing multiplayer - whether it be just the 3 version or whatever to this generation. Since ME3 still has a decent population I would easily dedicate another 1000 hours of my life to ME3 MP if it was on a newer generation

Consider me in the same “I’ll believe it when I see it” boat regarding Mass Effect. I’d be excited but I’d have concerns even if it did come out:

1. How much do you overhaul Mass Effect was to make it fit with the other 2? Cause I still kind of love how open 1 is even if it’s clunky as shit. Like I don’t get how you redo one without making it a much worse game?

2. What are they going to actually add to multiplayer? Because I’m not even sure if they can convince me it will be better the. OG ME3’s multiplayer is, especially on PC were kidders have added completely new maps to the game. 

3. Just general distrust of BioWare now. The last game I think I would rate as great was DA:I and that came out a long damn time ago now. Andromeda was fun but was mostly missed potential, and fuck Anthem to death. Unless it’s just a graphical upgrade, I’m not sure if they could actually legitimately improve these games as the studio they are now.

• Like 1