DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

That’s kind of oversimplifying the critique a bit.  The criticism was that the encounters/enemy types were repetitious, which absolutely can make what should be a fun beat/shoot-em-up into a boring chore.  In fact, one encounter described (defend an area from waves of enemies while an AI character hacks something) is verbatim how most Vanilla Destiny encounters were structured, and it did indeed suck.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

Does anyone understand how and why Destiny has become the game to reinvent?  I played the first one for a while, but the entire time I played I thought it was an empty mess of a game that was only about 8 hours of content that they expected you to play over and over again for 100 hours.  Nothing really felt different as you leveled up.  None of the gear you got really made that much of a difference.  You couldn't really customize your character very much.  I can't for the life of me understand why that became a game that people wanted to replicate.  God forbid someone says, "we should make a game that is the Avengers version of Mass Effect," or "Let's make a sci-fi Red Dead Redemption."  Nope, we get multiple clones of a game that wasn't that beloved to begin with.  It honestly doesn't make any fucking sense.

• Like 2

For all of its faults, Destiny has been a wildly successful game.  It hasn’t been the Call of Duty-sized annual hit that Activision wished for, or the early-Halo sensation that Bungie probably hoped for, but it has retained a sizable player base for going on 6 years now and the people who love it pump a lot of money into it.  It’s not a surprise that other developers/publishers want to mimic that.  The economics of the videogame industry are so insane right now that keeping players on the monetary hook for years and years is way better business than collecting $60 (or less!) from them once.

The problem is, very few of these companies seem to have any ideas of how to do that besides just copying the Destiny template, wholesale, regardless of whether it makes sense for their game or not.  Also, many of them seem to fail at making a good base game before adding the Destiny bells and whistles to it.  That’s the secret sauce of Destiny:  At the core, it’s a top-notch FPS.  The gun play feels great, the movement is great, using the special abilities feel great.  Conversely, for example, the 3rd-person action of stuff like The Division or Anthem just feels half-baked by comparison.

• Like 2

Crystal Dynamics basically inferred that the PS4 is the only version to be getting an exclusive character. So Xbox won’t be getting their own, etc.

With that said, I pre-ordered the game tonight (and bought FF7 Remake from their website, too).

Also, @Death From Above is right - Fallout 76 does pretty well money wise now. GTA Online basically ensured that every developer with an IP that has name value will try something like this at least once.

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

My understanding is that, for some fucking reason, Fallout 76 actually does okay business. 

Fallout 1st and micro transactions for cosmetics seem to be doing generally well. Somewhat even to Bethesda's surprise going off of an interview or two from Pete Hines. I kind of get the feeling some of it is stuff they didn't want to implement, at least not when they did or the way they did, but were otherwise forced to by Zenimax. As probably the only person who plays it here I can say the story content in the front and background is good. The gameplay is also pretty much an improved FO4 so its enjoyable over all of the previous incarnations. The issues with it are more the constant breaking/bugs/etc. It happens too often and takes too long to fix much of the time. There are also quality of life issues they could put more effort into creating/improving. In general though the game is solid.

All I know is that I have not put any more money into the game since when i first bought it and have few complaints so it amazes me how others can be so angry yet still pump money into it.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It seems like the extended Godfall game play and Hitman coming to VR are the two big things

The stream I was listening to made it sound like Crash and Pathless were the high points. 

Here's the video.  Sony started late.  The actual presentation doesn't start until the 10:00 mark with Crash Bandicoot footage. (lol, this version edits out most of the dead air edited.  I think the actual livestream started at 4:40 EST instead of 4:00).

Basically, Hitman VR, the new Crash game and a number of indie games.  Last ten minutes or so are an extended look at Godfall.  Several games were just announced for PS5.  At least one of the indie games apparently will be released for PS4 and PS5.  

A couple release dates announced.  Spelunky 2 and one or two others.  The Star Wars Vader VR game is coming out this month.  Most games were announced for Holidays 2020 or 2021.

Slate looked good but not great to me.  Was really looking forward to the Pathless but it looks like it will be a PS5 exclusive and right now I'm not planning on buying a PS5 right away.

Crash Bandicoot looks a lot like Jak and Daxter to me.  I like J&D a lot, but it's not what I want from Crash.  Art style just looked charmless to me.  Did the PS2 games look like that?   I wisely stopped paying attention to Crash after the original PS1 trilogy.  Anyway, Crash looked.... really busy.  I'll probably pass unless reviews are really great.  There's no shortage of PS4 indie platformers out there.

Edited by Doc Townsend

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

The stream I was listening to made it sound like Crash and Pathless were the high points. 

I started watching after Crash and none of the sites I visited mentioned it which seems... odd

There is now a petition to make Wolverine an exclusive character for the PC and Xbox versions of Avengers.

I used to be excited about this game.  Now I am not really giving a shit.  2077 and Bloodlines 2 will both ruin my life after they are released so I could stand not to have a third AAA time waster on my Pile of Shame.

If I opt out of Avengers, that gives me two whole months to get in an NG+ run of Dragon's Dogma.  I still have to get my Assassin to Level 200.

Edited by J.T.

I’ve played an hour of the beta for Avengers so far. Are there flaws? Yes. Can those flaws be fixed in time for launch? Probably. Is it still fun? Absolutely. In particular - playing as Thor is really fun because of the hammer mechanics, Hulk feels like a world beater, Black Widow makes me actually want a stand-alone Black Widow game, and despite the model for Cap still looking like shit he’s a fun character to play as too (mostly because of the shield). Iron Man’s section of the bridge intro was really short, but it was okay. Flying and doing handbeam shots mostly.

My only complaint so far is that some of the enemies’ difficulties need to be nerfed. I shouldn’t be spending a good two minutes or so trying to beat up one of the more advanced robots with the Hulk. That’s the thing I think that, so far, is flawed but can also be tweaked/fixed by the time they launch.

Gear upgrades really isn’t as cluttered or complicated as people on Twitter or wherever wanted to make it seem. It’s pretty clean looking actually.

• Like 1

A lot from State of Play actually excited me. Spelunky 2 has a release date, the second DLC for Control is out soon, Vader Immortal (!) is out this month, Braid is nice to have on PS4 gen system, and The Pathless and Bugsnax are making consider buying a PS5 (seriously, they look like a lot of fun and tap into what Nintendo should have done with Pokemon and The Pathless is a nice hold-over until BOTW 2 is out).

Godfall confirms my not buying it because it looks boring as hell and I don't trust Gearbox with anything. Battleborn (which I finally 100%'ed recently) have crappy servers that if you sneeze wrong won't work.

But given my backlog, I will refrain from buying a PS5.

Edited by Andrew POE!

5 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Battleborn (which I finally 100%'ed recently) have crappy servers that if you sneeze wrong won't work.

I thought they had already shut down the Battleborn servers but I see that it was you can no longer buy stuff from the online shop. The servers are going down Jan 2021

22 minutes ago, AxB said:

So Rocksteady announced a Suicide Squad game. Hopefully it will be as good as the good Arkham games.

The fact that it seems to be focused on either killing Superman or Justice League kind of kills any high expectations from me as those plot lines kind of miss the point completely of SS.

• Like 2

Kenny Omega just basically confirmed the obvious about the AEW video game:

Interviewer: Well, speaking of video games, is there anything that Kenny can say about the AEW game currently in the works? Talk to us about how the game could possibly attract new fans?

Kenny Omega: Oof, probably officially not, but at the risk of getting myself in trouble, yes, we are in production of a video game. We have a lot of creative minds at work at the new video game right now. I think people are going to like it, and I think that what the fans are hoping for is, in fact, going to come to fruition. I'm hoping that it really is sort of a brand new take on something that's like the No Mercy game of old. So, if you liked WrestleMania 2000, No Mercy, VPW - we are very much hoping to recreate the same feel, the same fun-factor, the same pick-up-and-play ability of those games in the past. So, look forward to that. We are working diligently to give you guys something in the near future.

This was on some video gaming website.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1