DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

On 7/31/2020 at 8:47 AM, Craig H said:

I get that they wanted to make a big budget Avengers game that's a GaoS like Destiny, but man, this shit ain't the way to do it. They also managed to make the upgrade system look more confusing than Ultimate Alliance 3.

I kind of hate how everyone is trying to make their game the *insert uninspired idea here* version of Destiny, when Destiny is an immensely flawed game in execution.  Seriously, Destiny isn't really that good of a version of Destiny.  I've always wanted  a super hero version of Skyrim, where it's just a massive world full of interesting things to do, where you have a main story, but it's just as fun to wander around interacting with the world.  Spider-Man is the best we got, but it's still sparse when compared to something like Skyrim.  Seriously, Skyrim came out in 2011, and I think The Witcher III and Red Dead Redemption 2 are the only games that have reached that kind of scale.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean...it's not surprising that he's a PlayStation exclusive and it makes sense. I'm sure it won't stop people from whining.

Also, anyone who complains can just not buy the game.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, anyone who complains can just not buy the game.

That really is really shitty logic

"Dear Crystal Dynamics - I am really looking forward to playing your upcoming Avengers game. Since the Marvel Universe is my all time favorite thing, I have decided to only buy one game this year due to economic conditions caused by the pandemic and that is your game. However, I must say that since Spider-Man is my favorite character, it is disappointing that you have chosen to make him only available to owners of a Playstation. I own an XBOX as I have only been able to afford console this generation. (Don't get me wrong - I own a PS2 and PS3 however all my friends play on a XBOX so that is what I own.). It comes across somewhat unfair that some of your biggest supporters on both the XBOX and PC will be unable to play as Spider-Man, especially since he will be available for free. (I might be more understanding if it was a pre-order or even a paid DLC character). Hopefully - you might reconsider you decision. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter"

FUCK YOU! YOU COMPLAINED! DON'T BUY IT!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

"Dear Crystal Dynamics - I am really looking forward to playing your upcoming Avengers game. Since the Marvel Universe is my all time favorite thing, I have decided to only buy one game this year due to economic conditions caused by the pandemic and that is your game. However, I must say that since Spider-Man is my favorite character, it is disappointing that you have chosen to make him only available to owners of a Playstation. I own an XBOX as I have only been able to afford console this generation. (Don't get me wrong - I own a PS2 and PS3 however all my friends play on a XBOX so that is what I own.). It comes across somewhat unfair that some of your biggest supporters on both the XBOX and PC will be unable to play as Spider-Man, especially since he will be available for free. (I might be more understanding if it was a pre-order or even a paid DLC character). Hopefully - you might reconsider you decision. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter"

Are you just doing a nice, thought-out version of Fresh's bitching tweet when this news hit?

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It isn't though. Spider-Man is a Marvel and Sony property. It makes sense that he would be an exclusive for the PS4/5. If you're a consumer and aren't happy with this decision, then speak with your wallet if it means that much. Chances are that most people who would complain will still end up buying the game anyway or they weren't going to buy the game in the first place and want any reason to complain.

Again, it's not a fuck you, you complained, don't buy it thing, it's a speak and vote with your wallet thing.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Doesn’t Sony only hold the rights to Spider-Man when it comes to movies? I believe the game was only an exclusive because the studio is owned by Sony, right?

This is mostly right. Sony strictly holds the movie rights (in perpetuity, because of a horrible deal Marvel did years ago).  They don’t have any authority over anything else.  With the exception of the Insomniac game, every Spider-Man game has been multi-platform.

Its also worth noting that when Marvel approached Insomniac, it was with the offer to make “a Marvel game,” not specifically a Spider-Man game.  That’s just the character Insomniac chose.

Insomniac wasn’t bought by Sony until last year, but they had been primarily a 2nd-party PlayStation developer for decades prior to that.  Now, if you look at the developmental history of their Spidey game, it’s clear that, when Marvel went looking for a AAA developer to make a higher quality Marvel game, Sony kind of steered them toward Insomniac, likely with the expectation that their history together would make a sweetheart exclusivity deal possible.  But this wasn’t a “Spidey MUST be on the Sony platform” situation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I'd be willing to bet a Spider-Man skin of some sort is on other systems via DLC at some point. 

Probably this or Xbox getting their own exclusive character.

Also, am I the only person who thinks this Avengers game is going to bomb? Just because the movies are awesome and do billions of dollars of business doesn't mean the game is going to be a best seller. I don't even think the Spider-Man game was automatically going to be a huge seller, but every video of it made the game look fantastic and word of mouth was beyond positive. It's still one of the best games of the generation.

This Avengers game though just doesn't look good to me. The gameplay looks kinda bland, the character models are stuck in this awkward place where they kinda resemble their MCU counterparts and they also don't so it's jarring, and I'm not sure the Destiny meets Marvel talking point is a great way to sell the internet folks on this. If the game turns out to be awesome and a fun co-op game then I might get it when it drops in price.

• Like 1

I think it’s going to sell huge out of the gate, because 1) it’s Marvel, and I think that, despite the jankiness of a lot of this, there will still be enthusiasm and interest from a lot of people, 2) it’s going to be the only major AAA release for a while because so much got bumped to November, so even the less enthusiastic people will be more likely to give it a try, and 3) it’s going to end up under the Christmas tree for a lot of kids.

That said, the real test for this game will be, how many people are still playing it in April?  Does the live/service aspect of it hook people in after they’ve complete the main campaign?  Anthem was released to impressive sales but shed its player base in record time and is basically a dead game now.  Will Square/Crystal Dynamics be shoveling money into the fire a year from now, trying to save the live/service component, like EA/BioWare are?

I suspect they will.

Edited by EVA

3 hours ago, EVA said:

This is mostly right. Sony strictly holds the movie rights (in perpetuity, because of a horrible deal Marvel did years ago).  They don’t have any authority over anything else.  With the exception of the Insomniac game, every Spider-Man game has been multi-platform.

Its also worth noting that when Marvel approached Insomniac, it was with the offer to make “a Marvel game,” not specifically a Spider-Man game.  That’s just the character Insomniac chose.

Sony only owns movie rights to Spider-Man.  

Sony has always had a good professional relationship with Square Enix so they probably worked a keiretsu drug deal to buy exclusivity rights to Spider Man for their console.

I would not be surprised if Microsoft wasn't following suit as we speak and working to secure exclusive content for Xbox One / Series X.

• Like 1

https://kotaku.com/i-played-the-avengers-beta-and-im-not-excited-1844617278

This past weekend I got a chance to step into the sneakers, armored boots, and severely distressed cut-offs of some of my favorite comic book heroes as part of an early beta event for Marvel’s Avengers. I was hoping my brief time with the game would quell the nagging feeling that it’s little more than BioWare flop Anthem with superheroes. It did not.

The early calls of flop for Anthem saved me money and heartache.  If Avengers is as bad as they say, they need to pull the trigger on horrible reviews so I can avoid disappointment.

Especially if Avengers is as devoid of heart and soul as Anthem was in addition to the rickety gameplay.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Marvel's Avengers: How Spider-Man Became a PlayStation-Exclusive Character http://www.ign.com/articles/2020/08/05/marvels-avengers-how-spider-man-became-a-playstation-exclusive-character

IGN got a comment from Square about Spider-Man exclusivity.

tl;dr: They’re predictably evasive on why Spidey is exclusive to PS, only citing the “special relationship” between Marvel and Sony.  Spider-Man is the only exclusive character (implying that there will be no comparable XBox-exclusive character).  When asked what they would say to XBox players who are bummed out, they’re answer is basically, “There are a bunch of other heroes in the game.  Play as them.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Marvel's Avengers: How Spider-Man Became a PlayStation-Exclusive Character http://www.ign.com/articles/2020/08/05/marvels-avengers-how-spider-man-became-a-playstation-exclusive-character

IGN got a comment from Square about Spider-Man exclusivity.

tl;dr: They’re predictably evasive on why Spidey is exclusive to PS, only citing the “special relationship” between Marvel and Sony.  Spider-Man is the only exclusive character (implying that there will be no comparable XBox-exclusive character).  When asked what they would say to XBox players who are bummed out, they’re answer is basically, “There are a bunch of other heroes in the game.  Play as them.”

This is how games get boycotted.

• Like 1

And being shitty will help with that too if it is indeed as bad as y'all are predicting and that guy above states in comparing it to Anthem.

But if you can enjoy Ultimate Alliance 3, you'll probably get some joy out of this. I am of the opinion that UA3 is the only Switch game I've played and not enjoyed.

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

I am of the opinion that UA3 is the only Switch game I've played and not enjoyed.

For me, this is a good example of "some things aren't for everyone" - because UA3 was one of the only Switch games that I enjoyed and got a ton of mileage out of. Except for some of that DLC (looking at you, Curse of the Vampire).

The Avengers game might suck for some, but others might love it. It seems a lot of people are just dunking on the thing because it's not what THEY want the game to be. That Kotaku article basically amounts to "beating up baddies over and over again gets old". It's a superhero game, what are you expecting???