DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

Wow, legit didn't even know it was a pen & paper game. I shouldn't be surprised, though.

Yep, it was created by the folks at R. Talsorian games and developed by Mike Pondsmith.

Kxuaa8jpbeEsp44dDDuB8W.jpg

I freely admit that one of the main reasons I play the pen & game is because of the notion I am supporting a business owned by the godfather of African-American geeks.   Yes, I know he married a white woman, but this is probably as good as we'll get.

I didn't sign on with 2077 fully until I learned that Mike was retained by CDPR as a paid consultant for the game's development.  They even flew him to Poland for two months.  CDPR just didn't purchase the license and then went off half cocked to do their own thing.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

The pen and paper RPG is from the 90s. I GM'ed it a few times but never got to play. I had (still have) a bunch of the expansion sourcebooks. The UK based one is awful, it's all Martial Law and re-instatement of Monarchical rule. They thought most of the Royals would be dead and so Princess Beatrice would be Queen of England by now.

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I made someone mad in Twitch chat by calling Braindance "Witcher Sense" and that was honestly the highlight of the whole video for me. That segment went on for fucking ever yet still managed to show nothing interesting.

I'm under the impression that Braindance will indeed work a lot like Witcher Vision and I'll guess that there will be some content in the game that we will have to unlock by hacking other people's brains and sifting through their digitally recorded memories.

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The first game is second only to Don't Starve in terms of roguelikes that I've played. That looks so great.

Yeah it literally looks like "the first game but just better", might be a day 1 buy from me. It's very hard for me to imagine a scenario in which I don't have fun with it.

Ya'll can make fun of how Black Widow looks all you want (I think she looks fine), but watching the War Table live stream for the Avengers... fuck, I want this game right now.

Yeah, I am over comic book stuff generally speaking (stopped with the first Avenger movie), but that game does look pretty fucking good once you get over the Avengers at home meme.

• Like 1

This is brilliant. It's come a long way in a short time. I am really hoping we get an August early access.

The dialogue still feels very 2005 video gamey though. That's definitely something I'd like to see this next gen of consoles tackle better. Fluid, organic feeling dialogue that still has user input.

It’s not even just the asthaetics of AVENGERS, at this point.  The more I hear of the story/dialogue, the more cringe it gets.  The action/combat look really flat and uninteresting (obviously, we can’t tell how it feels yet, though).

And as much as I enjoy a loot-based game like Destiny (and tolerate it in more recent Assasin’s Creed games), the idea of turning a superhero game into a looter shooter sounds like the opposite of fun to me. If I’m gonna play as Hulk, I just want to BE Hulk, not grind missions repeatedly for 20 hours in hopes that RNG gives me the skin I need to use the ability I want. 

• Like 1

It looks like a significantly more aesthetically pleasing version of those dumbass Ultimate Alliance games with weight to it. Just flying around with Thor looked to be smooth and fun. Like there's a 5% chance I play the game, but what comic book games have had good stories? Spider-man had elements of it that were good, but as mentioned by Broken Lamp, you're a fucking cop and that felt wrong at the time and certainly won't age well. 

Avengers looks too fucking busy to me. Maybe it's because my home is currently a fucking mess with moving and packing craziness, but the amount of shit happening onscreen from gameplay videos just overwhelms me. 

That said, if it ends up being a well-received and reviewed game, I'll gladly give it a shot. I never want anything to fail, but my hopes aren't high for Avengers.

It definitely strikes me as a game that will be heavily discounted within 6 months. I think a lot of people have made up their minds about it already. Definitely agree that there's too much going on, very much like Ultimate Alliance but I guess that's the price of having a bunch of ridiculously powerful characters together at once requires. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Honestly it just makes me want a new Lego Marvel game that doesn't separate the MCU bunch from the X-Men and F4.

Agreed.  Lego Marvel Super Heroes was great.  The second one, ehhhh.  I did like some of the characters that added- like who would have expected the Marvel western dudes to make it?  Or Man-Thing?  But still - having so much fun as the X-Men taking down Sentinels was a major part of the first one and their absence really sucks.

My favorites are rarely the "big guns" and what makes this Avengers game not appeal much to me is the lack of any of the characters I really connect to.  I mean Kamala Khan is the shit but I'd want a whole game full of Kamala Khans.

Or at least Spider-Man, but the rights are probably fucked for him.

Where the fuck is the Black Panther though?  Come on.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2

Fuser

I don't know how I missed this being announced but considering I was just thinking about how I missed Guitar Hero/Rock Band. I am all in. I mean I will suck at it but fuck that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That reminds me a lot of Dropmix which while fun only got used maybe twice over here.  But I can see this being one that we get into a lot and it being on Switch seals it.

Oh man, Dropmix was a fucking blast to play.

• Like 1

The reason it reminds you of DropMix is because Harmonix also did that (in collaboration with Hasbro)

The good thing about this is that you just use your regular controller - you dont have to get extra shit

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh man, Dropmix was a fucking blast to play.

It was a blast and considering we're into remixes and the like it should have been a no-brainer that we'd be playing this all the time.  But for whatever reason that didn't happen.  At least I paid $30 off Facebook marketplace compared to the regular price so it's not the worst thing in the world.  Heck, now that we moved back to where pretty much everybody we know is we might bust that out again at some point.

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The reason it reminds you of DropMix is because Harmonix also did that (in collaboration with Hasbro)

The good thing about this is that you just use your regular controller - you dont have to get extra shit

I didn't see at first it was Harmonix behind this though that makes perfect sense.  I do like the idea of challenges and such so that's going to be pretty fun to mess with.

CDPR encountered some shearing issues with the way wall running is supposed to work in 2077 so it's being cut from the game.  Good bye, Mantis Blade wall crawling powers.

Edited by J.T.
  • Sad 1