DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2020

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

They've been good about redesigning problematic costumes (Man Ape). As long as they dont mess with his mustache.

The Stranger also has magnificent hair.

Edited by J.T.

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

Latest leak from Love / Thunder implies that Bale will be playing Dario Agger / Minotaur.

That's actually a decent choice, considering they're bringing in Jane Foster Thor. He was one of the big bads in her comic storyline. Be interesting to see what they do with him without Malekith.

• Like 3

I finally finished all the movies (well except Far From Home since I don't have Hulu) - we watched Captain Marvel and End Game yesterday since it was my wife's birthday and we couldn't actually go anywhere.

I can finally read this folder again!

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

That's actually a decent choice, considering they're bringing in Jane Foster Thor. He was one of the big bads in her comic storyline. Be interesting to see what they do with him without Malekith.

Jane Foster Thor is my favourite part from Jason Aaron's long 2012-2019 run.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Agger works pretty well w/o Malekith attached. The whole thing with him in general is that is a evil corporate suit and mythological creature. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Black Widow is now taking the fall release slot formerly held by The Eternals so expect the entire Phase IV scheduled to be adjusted to the right.

Nov 6 for those of you who didn't memorize exact release dates

Eternals is now Feb 12, 2021

And then to complete everything

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings moving to May 7, 2021; Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness to November 5, 2021; Thor: Love And Thunder to February 18, 2022; and Captain Marvel 2 has now been set to July 8, 2022. Meanwhile, Ryan Coogler’s Black Panther 2 will still retain its May 8, 2022 release.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:26 PM, The Natural said:

First year since 2012 there will be only one MCU release. 2012: Avengers Assemble. 2020: Black Widow.

That's provided we're on the other side of this for theaters to be reopen again by that time. Just saying.

It has been leaked that Taskmaster trained his photographic reflexes by 

Spoiler

fighting against LMDs programmed with the fighting styles of Marvel characters not yet "officially" introduced into the MCU.  Rumor is that this will the way the producers will import characters from the Netflix Marvel series, Fox X-Men films, and standalones (Blade, Ghost Rider) into the wider MCU.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

How or why is that disappointing. Sam Raimi is about as perfect of a pick for a horror/comedy Dr. Strange movie you could ask for next to getting Drew Goddard. 

Because we have already seen what happens when he works on a comic book movie where he will only have so much control. Its not a story where he was involved with the development so I doubt he will be giving his best effort. I'm kind of shocked anyone would want to see him work on another superhero film after Spider-man 3. Pretty sure Marvel films has even tighter grip than Sony did back then when it comes to these films. Is this Dr. Strange film going to be a horror/comedy? I like Raimi, but I never wanted to see him near another superhero property after the last one he did.

Edited by Eivion

The first two he did were really good. Also, Massive interference by execs from Fox =/= Massive interference by execs from Marvel

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The first two he did were really good.

I liked the first two though I'm not sure I would put the first one in the really good category. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Also, Massive interference by execs from Fox =/= Massive interference by execs from Marvel

What does Fox have to do with it? Marvel has had enough disagreements with directors before to get them to walk away from projects so they can very much be equal. 

Has any studio contributed as much to the 'Superhero movies that are a complete pile of shit' genre as 20th Century Fox? Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2, Every X-Men film except X-Men 2 & Logan...

But the thing is, Marvel does at least say to it's directors "This is what we want, make that movie or leave the project". Whereas Fox tells Sam Raimi he can make his Spider-Man vs Sandman movie and then insists on crowbarring two or three movie's worth of Black Suit/ Eddie Brock/ Venom stuff, and making Harry Osborn turn from face to heel to face again. They drove him so crazy he thought 'Peter Parker gets into interpretive' dance was a great way of illustrating that the black suit makes you evil.

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

Has any studio contributed as much to the 'Superhero movies that are a complete pile of shit' genre as 20th Century Fox? Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2, Every X-Men film except X-Men 2 & Logan...

WB? 

How many good movies have they actually made? WW. YMMV on the Nolan movies and Aquaman. And the rest? 

50 minutes ago, AxB said:

Has Fox ever been involved with a Spider-Man movie? I thought Sony Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox were separate entities.

Also, the first X-Men movie was hardly a complete pile of shit. Neither was First Class.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2020 at 8:22 AM, RIPPA said:

I finally finished all the movies (well except Far From Home since I don't have Hulu) - we watched Captain Marvel and End Game yesterday since it was my wife's birthday and we couldn't actually go anywhere.

I can finally read this folder again!

We've been rewatching them all in chronological order.  I guess I'm getting more laid back in my older age, because even the ones I considered bad weren't horrible on rewatch.  Black Panther is up next, so we're almost finished.

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

Because we have already seen what happens when he works on a comic book movie where he will only have so much control. Its not a story where he was involved with the development so I doubt he will be giving his best effort. I'm kind of shocked anyone would want to see him work on another superhero film after Spider-man 3. Pretty sure Marvel films has even tighter grip than Sony did back then when it comes to these films. Is this Dr. Strange film going to be a horror/comedy? I like Raimi, but I never wanted to see him near another superhero property after the last one he did.

Sam Raimi still had plenty of control over Spider-Man 3. Where it went off the rails was Sony's insistence that Venom be in the movie and Sam Raimi thinks Venom isn't a good character. Sam himself then sandbagged the movie on purpose and has apologized for doing so a couple times now. He basically tried to make the movie a shitshow.

In this case, Sam came out and said he wanted to do this Dr. Strange movie and Feige sought him out. Yes, Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will be a horror/comedy and the first time the MCU has ventured into the horror space. Feige said as much in interviews and at the last big event they held outlining Phase 4 and beyond, the event where they introduced the new Blade movie at the very end.

I get some of your trepidation because of Spider-Man 3, but that completely ignores the quality of Spider-Man, it especially ignores the quality of Spider-Man 2, it ignores how this movie is perfectly within Sam Raimi's wheelhouse, it ignores the rewrites being done on the script, and it ignores the incredible track record of MCU movies. The most troubled MCU movie ever made was Ant-Man and Ant-Man still wound up being a lot of fun. And look at the director of Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp - Peyton Reed. What did Peyton direct before those two movies? Bring it On, Yes Man, and the Break Up. Did that have any bearing on the quality of either Ant-Man movie? No. 

Spider-Man 3 was the perfect storm of bullshit that made Sam actively try to make the movie worse because of all the crap Sony forced on him. This situation isn't remotely the same.

My own personal level of excitement for the next Dr. Strange movie is pretty fucking high. I feel the same about this as I did when Taika Waititi was announced as the director of Thor Ragnarok or when James Gunn was announced as the director of Guardians of the Galaxy. Sam Raimi being hired for this is not the same as getting Peyton Reed for Ant-Man or the other director for Dr. Strange, which were akin to just finding someone capable enough to get the movies done. Bringing in Raimi is like hiring Taika or Gunn. Feige actively sought out someone known for ideas out in left field to bring a special uniqueness to the movie they're directing. That's why this is a good hire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

But the thing is, Marvel does at least say to it's directors "This is what we want, make that movie or leave the project". Whereas Fox tells Sam Raimi he can make his Spider-Man vs Sandman movie and then insists on crowbarring two or three movie's worth of Black Suit/ Eddie Brock/ Venom stuff, and making Harry Osborn turn from face to heel to face again. They drove him so crazy he thought 'Peter Parker gets into interpretive' dance was a great way of illustrating that the black suit makes you evil.

That was Sony was my point, not Fox. DOFP was a good movie. The Wolverine was solid. And technically Deadpool movies are from the x-men side of Marvel. Sony are the ones in control of Spider-man

Also Raimi was the one insistent on the Sandman story which in of itself was not a particular great story and had to ignore shit from the first one to happen the way Raimi wanted. Raimi was told well beforehand to do the Black suit/Venom/Brock saga. He just kept trying to put it off because he didn't like the character. Harry going heel had been built for two movies. Of course it finally happened in the third. No matter how you shake its the Sandman movie Raimi wanted that never made a lick of sense in this scenario and should have been dropped. Instead of doing his job or bowing out gracefully Raimi was an ass who purposely sabotaged his movie. The only reason people don't rag on him about it is because they want to pretend Sony had no right to ask him to do his damn job.

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I get some of your trepidation because of Spider-Man 3, but that completely ignores the quality of Spider-Man, it especially ignores the quality of Spider-Man 2, it ignores how this movie is perfectly within Sam Raimi's wheelhouse, it ignores the rewrites being done on the script, and it ignores the incredible track record of MCU movies.

Not sure how my trepidation is ignoring Raimi's previous quality work. I had no idea rewrites were happening  to fit what he wants. Makes it slightly less worrying

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Spider-Man 3 was the perfect storm of bullshit that made Sam actively try to make the movie worse because of all the crap Sony forced on him. This situation isn't remotely the same.

I never said the situation would be same for sure. I just worry how things will go if Raimi at some point starts to not get his way because we saw what happened the last time. Its great that you trust him completely. I don't, that is all.