DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2020

10 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I like the look, but why does MCU Taskmaster carry a sword? There's no established sword-using character for him to copy.

Taskmaster wants to cosplay an Asgardian in Sif/Heimdall/Valkyrie ;).

Edited by The Natural

15 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I like the look, but why does MCU Taskmaster carry a sword? There's no established sword-using character for him to copy.

The complete history of the MCU has not been written. We know Captain America was the first Super-Human in the late 1940s (Thor not being human), and we know Ant-Man 1 was active in the 80s, and Captain Marvel the early 90s. Nothing to say a Black Knight wasn't active in the 50s-70s (although it seems Kit Harrington is playing Black Knight in The Eternals).

Weren't there several Black Knights in the comics? I'm sure Dane Whitman wasn't the original.

No, Whitman isn't the original. It's possible Taskmaster could have studied Nathan Garrett if he ever existed in the MCU, since the original Black Knight was in the 6th century. Maybe he studied Deadpool if they're making the existing films MCU canon.

But yeah, the only actual character that's used swords on-screen (that could have been feasibly captured on film anyway) is Hawkeye/Ronin. You've got others like the Warrior's Three and maybe Gamora/Nebula and Thanos in Endgame, but I doubt news crews were filming the battle from a distance or, uh, in space.

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

latest?cb=20101203013637

He carries a sword pretty regularly.

I'm aware,, but that's because one of the fighters comics Taskmaster has studied is Hawkeye's old mentor the Swordsman. That character doesn't exist in the MCU.

Others have pointed out there could easily be broadsword-users in the MCU we just haven't seen yet, which is true. But I think the concept loses something if he's not riffing on established characters.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:19 AM, tbarrie said:

He can copy normal humans with exceptional training or special physical gifts as well as metas. 

Taskmaster's photographic reflexes work like the training deck that Neo used to learn Kung Fu in the Matrix movies.   He could've trained by watching a normal human who was a sword prodigy and he'd become just as good as the actual swordmaster.

Taskmaster also doesn't have to physically see his target in action for his muscle memory ability to manifest.  He can watch videos or television footage and achieve the same result.

15 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Didn't Ronin use swords?

Hawkeye doesn't really start using swords as Ronin until after Infinity War and Taskmaster should be long dead by that time since Black Widow is set in Cold War era MCU and they'll probably kill Taskmaster off by the end of the movie.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

In the MCU, circuses don't exist, only super secret military spy agencies. 

What Matt said.  We are all well aware of the existence of the Swordsman, the Black Knight, the Silver Samurai and other skilled Marvel blademasters, but they don't exist in the MCU so there is a bit of a paradox as to whom the Taskmaster will mimic for his skillset if he still retains his photographic reflexes from the comics.

The movie is set in Cold War era MCU so he has no real contemporaries like MCU Daredevil, MCU Ronin, or MCU Punisher that he can observe and copy their abilities.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Black Widow isn't set in the Cold War. It's immediately after Civil War, but before Infinity War.

Ah.  The wikipedias have led me astray again.  Even so, there is still no sword specific metahuman for Taskmaster to draw his skill from unless it is a short aside or an implied offscreen death thing like how the Brotherhood was written off as Sentinel test subjects in X-Men: Days Of Futures Past.

Edited by J.T.

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

It ultimately doesn't even matter because Taskmaster is of little importance to this movie in the grand scheme of things.

Not only that, but there's nothing that says they'll keep his power profile from the comics.  I have a bad feeling he'll be more of a disposable villain than any other Marvel bad guy.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Not only that, but there's nothing that says they'll keep his power profile from the comics.  I have a bad feeling he'll be more of a disposable villain than any other Marvel bad guy.

Which is a shame, as I think hes one of those baddies who could be super effective if written "correctly" (like Paste Pot Pete of course).