DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2020

I'm really trying to figure out what was so "controversial" about Captain Marvel outside of Larson saying mean things about incel manbabies a couple years ago..

Wait, I just figured it out.

• Haha 2

It’s still so weird to me that people (ok, not real people, but the previously mentioned uncle manbabies) got so worked up about ONE superhero movie starring a girl. Marvel had like 20+ movies starring dudes. 

it reminds me of when racists complain about BET. “How come there’s no White Entertainment Television!!?!?” Uh, that’s ALL of the other channels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Log said:

It’s still so weird to me that people (ok, not real people, but the previously mentioned uncle manbabies) got so worked up about ONE superhero movie starring a girl. Marvel had like 20+ movies starring dudes. 

it reminds me of when racists complain about BET. “How come there’s no White Entertainment Television!!?!?” Uh, that’s ALL of the other channels. 

Well it's the same outrage over all the women grouping together during the final battle in Endgame. Not one person who bitched and moaned would have said a fucking word if it was a bunch of dudes posing together in a similar shot and we know this is true because that shot has happened plenty of times. The one time a bunch of women group together you have these idiots complaining about it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Log said:

While I wholeheartedly support the sentiment behind that scene in Endgame, I do think it was very clunky the way they did it.  

Seemed fine to me. How is it any different than any other time heroes band together for a shot like that?

Because Carol didn't need anyone else to cover for her.

Actually, it was more that Okoye, Pepper, and Nebula were the only ones in that shot that actually knew who the fuck Carol was.  

Edited by Raziel

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Seemed fine to me. How is it any different than any other time heroes band together for a shot like that?

I just thought it was a little too on-the-nose.  

I really liked the scene in Infinity War where Black Widow and Okoye are fighting together and Scarlet Witch starts wrecking shit and Okoye's like, "Where's she been?!?!"  To me, that scene was just more "organic", I guess.  

• Thanks 1

I can only hope that Sony makes a Metroid movie and casts Brie as Samus Aran to further annoy these incels born from the ass hairs of the internet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

We can do better than that. Get me an all-women Avengers movie starring six Brie Larsons. 

Or we can gender flip the casting for the Metroid movie so that Ridley is a female alien along with the Mother Brain.

I can only imagine the rage on Twitter when Birds of Prey comes out.

Edited by J.T.

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Brie Larson has two years to make it look like she's giving a shit about the role. 

I think that's a fair criticism.  I didn't feel the same sort of energy from Brie as Captain Marvel than I did from Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, but Gal had a lot more to work with.  Origin tales don't have to so blah but they will be if they are as by-the-book as Captain Marvel was.

I think if they give Mar-Vell a villain that can actually menace her and if we get a story worth telling, we'll see a dramatic difference between CM1 and CM2.. I think the key will be her quality of opposition, though.  MCU's track record with villains has been about as wanting as Stephen King's track record with long prose endings.

I had a similar discussion earlier in the week with a co-worker who absolutely hated Henry Cavill in Man of Steel, so he refused to watch Mission Impossible: Fallout or The Witcher until I recommended both highly and he was amazed by the difference in Cavill's performances.

My simple answer was "That's what happens when you give a shit about the role you play."

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I think he was good in all three roles but in Man of Steel and Fall Out he is surrounded by top flight technical teams and in The Witcher...  well,  he's surrounded by a lot of bad acting. I don't hate the show but my god some of that cast is brutal especially his sidekick musician.  

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think he was good in all three roles but in Man of Steel and Fall Out he is surrounded by top flight technical teams and in The Witcher...  well,  he's surrounded by a lot of bad acting. I don't hate the show but my god some of that cast is brutal especially his sidekick musician.  

You are dead to me.  Foppish Jaskier is the perfect foil companion for Deadpan Geralt.

I agree that good writing can make a difference if you can get actor buy-in into the story, but that only goes so far.  Cavill didn't look like he was having a good time in Man of Steel and it showed.  Contrast that with The Witcher where he seems to be really enjoying the experience.

Similarly, Brie gives off this Okay. Let's Wrap This Shit Up, Guys vibe in Captain Marvel as opposed to the absolutely brilliant Just Mercy where she reminds you why she is an Oscar and Golden Globe winning actress.

Edited by J.T.