DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2020

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

rocket strap an Ant Man sequel and call it Ant Man and the Fantastic Four, 

I like the Ant-Man stuff, but isn't he too much of an MCU midcarder to use to introduce F4? At least he's a midcarder compared to most other movie-headlining characters. 

Also, was there a rumour that there was going to be an Ant-Man mini-series on Disney+ or did I completely imagine that?

25 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I like the Ant-Man stuff, but isn't he too much of an MCU midcarder to use to introduce F4? At least he's a midcarder compared to most other movie-headlining characters. 

Also, was there a rumour that there was going to be an Ant-Man mini-series on Disney+ or did I completely imagine that?

I don't think you imagined it because I thought I remember seeing something similar. I suppose it's possible with Paul Rudd doing more TV stuff, albeit it's Netflix TV stuff.

Freeform's other stuff took off and they no longer had room for the New Warriors (Ft. Squirrel Girl), so Disney shopped it around to other Disney nets and came up empty handed.  The pilot is complete and in the vault as of now.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm of the same mindset. The Eternals likely sets up the next cosmic big bad, but you could still do that with any other more recognizable Marvel property. I think Black Widow looks good, but ultimately I don't care much about seeing a movie flesh out her backstory. It feels like Solo in a way where we really didn't need a backstory movie for Han Solo. Shang Chi is another that feels like some of the most niche shit ever. I get some people on here are jazzed about a martial arts MCU movie, but I'd much rather have a more popular hero getting their first movie.

I love the MCU more than just about anything else, but I'm not into anything until Doctor Strange comes out next year.

I have little interest in the comic book movies out this year, need to do my annual which comic book movies are you most interested in poll. Black Widow's solo was long overdue, Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 1984 for me.

I'm already looking ahead to 2021 for the MCU slate on the big screen/small screen and The Batman by Matt Reeves.

Edited by The Natural

10 hours ago, Contentious C said:

My guess is that ScarJo is in no way done playing Black Widow completely.  If Adam Warlock isn't going to be the guy popping in and out of the Soul Gem to talk to people, it'll be her, and she's really the right person to fulfill that role if they go that direction.  Yeah, I know the gems are dusted; but do you see that "Multiverse" title up there?  Yeah, that shit's coming back.  It's comic books: if something works, it's never completely gone.

Plus alternate timeline/past Loki has one of the gems, so we know at least one is still in play.

17 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Plus alternate timeline/past Loki has one of the gems, so we know at least one is still in play.

This is why I didn't like the time machine nonsense in Endgame. It makes all this shit convoluted,  sure you can bring characters back comics do it all the time but it's nonsense there too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think it's cool that they want to get their lesser known characters over but at some point and hopefully soon The Elite have to step up to the plate and be great.  

2020.01.05-07.45-boundingintocomics-5e12

It's impressive how well Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe has done when you think back to the start of it with 2008's Iron Man. No rights to Spider-Man, X-Men and the Fantastic Four, the big ones. Spider-Man will always be THE Marvel character. Instead the aforementioned Iron Man, Thor and Captain America. This also allowed for Marvel Studios taking chances on the Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man properties.

Edited by The Natural

I forgot 2021 sees the third film from the Spider-Man Home series. 2021 brings:

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. February 

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. May. 

Spider-Man 3. July. 

Thor: Love and Thunder. November. 

That's so much better than this year's releases.

Watching a video pitting the 1990s Spider-Man cartoon vs. The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, it was well argued and looking down the comments I found the following:

giphy.gif

#Spider-Man, Spider-Man.

#Does whatever a spider can.

#Everything's going dark, "I don't feel good, Mr. Stark."

#Oh no there went the Spider-Man!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This is why I didn't like the time machine nonsense in Endgame. It makes all this shit convoluted,  sure you can bring characters back comics do it all the time but it's nonsense there too. 

That and those dorky ass suits they all had to wear. Crazy how we went from having to put the X-men in all black in the first trilogy to 45 Avengers dressing in white flavored Ant Man suits ? 

Hoping the casting for Wolverine isn’t someone as great as Hugh Jackman was so the other characters can get more time to shine in the Marvel version. Also no more Mystique ever again please. We don’t need a naked woman painted blue to get people to go watch comic book movies anymore. 

Regarding the next releases, something we all should keep in mind, myself included, is that Feige has said this is now basically a rebuilding period and these first movies would be a bit of a break or slowdown from the last 2 to 3 years.

I agree with that, but as the consumer who wants more it's a bitter pill to swallow. I mean really, they can't keep going at the pace they were going where everything was a sequel or recognizable banger. This is now the cool down period and that's fine I guess.

• Like 1

Also, the time stuff was there furthest thing from convoluted in Endgame. You're making it sound like Primer or something. As probably the biggest time travel buff on here, Endgame did it better than many other movies if for nothing other than the fact they established rules for time travel.

• Like 1

220px-Civil_War_7.jpg

8e23f16eeb57334b-600x338.jpg

Thought this was a cool recreation of that Civil War #7 cover as soon as it happened in Captain America: Civil War (2016). My two worries about the movie heading into it were the larger cast, Avengers 2.5 and whether it would detract from the Cap/Bucky cast...Thankfully that didn't happen. Captain America: Civil War is a top three MCU movie, the Airport battle is probably still my #1 MCU Moment and remains my favourite live action appearance of Spider-Man. Welcome home, Spidey.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Captain Marvel 2 has been greenlit for a 2022 release.  Marvel's looking for a female director to helm the Megan McDonnell (WandaVision)  script.

---

The current idea is to have Carol be in the present day and struggling for about an hour and 45 minutes before she realizes she's completely OP. 

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

They would never, ever do it, but I'd eventually like to see the MCU deal with a Carol that's become increasingly more and more powerful and maybe unstable.

Power creep being her enemy might work.   That is kinda the way they did in Mar-Vell with his powers contributing to his demise by mutating the cancer cells in his body.

You could probably pull that off that metaplot by constantly forcing her to push past her ability envelope by taking on some of the lesser known but ridiculously powerful cosmic enemies like maybe Stellarax, Issac Prime, or Korvac.

Now that Thanos is gone, the power vacuum can be filled.

However. as much as I like that idea, that is pretty much the plot of every subsequent season of fucking Dragon Ball Z.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

captain-america-the-winter-soldier-inter

Chris Evans was hesitant to take the role of Captain Steve Rogers/Captain America early on and I'm glad he accepted in the end. Spider-Man will always be THE Marvel character to me, but my favourite character in Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe is Captain America thanks to Evans portrayal, Producer Kevin Feige, Directors Jo Johnston, Anthony and Joe Russo, and writers Christopher Markus/Stephen McFreely.

• Like 1