DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2020

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I can't see Bale going for Agger unless he REALLY wants to be a minotaur for some reason. He's already played Patrick Bateman and Bruce Wayne. 

Agger is human most of the time. The biggest reason I have trouble seeing Bale do that one is that Agger isn't a super interesting villain so its not the type of role I can see him wanting to go for. I just felt he was the most likely out of the names Natural listed. Actually out of those the one who probably would interest Bale the most is Gorr. I just don't think Gorr works well for the MCU.

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Agger is human most of the time. The biggest reason I have trouble seeing Bale do that one is that Agger isn't a super interesting villain so its not the type of role I can see him wanting to go for. I just felt he was the most likely out of the names Natural listed. Actually out of those the one who probably would interest Bale the most is Gorr. I just don't think Gorr works well for the MCU.

He barely works in the comics.

For the record, and I don't know if it's been posted or not, but Zac Efron is supposedly in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 as...

Spoiler

Adam Warlock

Which is exactly who I'd like to see Christian Bale actually play. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For the record, and I don't know if it's been posted or not, but Zac Efron is supposedly in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 as...

Reveal hidden contents

Adam Warlock

As someone who likes Zac Efron, I approve.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Reveal hidden contents

Adam Warlock

Ehhhhhh.  I could imagine Rocket's first quip at that idea.

"You're supposed to be some perfectly assembled being, and they couldn't scrub that big mole off yer nose?  Someone call in sick on the production line, there, Goldilocks?"

On 1/7/2020 at 12:10 PM, J.T. said:

Please, God.  No Beta Ray Bill.

If anything, I'd love for Bale to be Doctor Doom and take over as the BBEG of Phase IV.

I would be thrilled with Bale as Dr. Doom

• Like 1

I'd also be happy with Christian Bale as Doctor Doom. Mads Mikkelsen was a casting idea of mine for Doctor Doom even though he played Kaecilius in Doctor Strange. I want Doctor Doom as the next Big Bad across the MCU as Thanos was. Thanos' is a hard act to follow.

Edited by The Natural

Big news if true:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wegotthiscovered.com/movies/marvel-reportedly-rights-defenders-early-2020/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/marvel-could-start-getting-its-netflix-heroes-back-this-year/amp/

Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio are perfect as Matt Murdock/Daredevil and Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin. Those two are irreplaceable.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Big news if true:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wegotthiscovered.com/movies/marvel-reportedly-rights-defenders-early-2020/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/marvel-could-start-getting-its-netflix-heroes-back-this-year/amp/

Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio are perfect as Matt Murdock/Daredevil and Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin. Those two are irreplaceable.

It would be interesting to see if Marvel tweaks the line-up of the original Defenders and has Cage, Jones, iron Fist, and Daredevil roll with Dr. Strange and Namor.

Not sure what they will do with the Hulk now that he's one-armed and appears to be semi-retired.

I'm a big fan of the MCU but this feels like a weird year for me and maybe a misstep.  They're kicking off the next phase with 1) a backstory film about a character who's already dead, so why should we care? and 2) a film about an obscure group of heroes

I could be wrong.  Maybe Widow is alive and there will be a swerve.  Maybe Eternals will be amazing (the last movie about a more obscure cosmic team is in my top 5).  But right now it's a realy low key way to kick off a new thing.

It's Natasha, man.  We should all care.

I don't think it's a swerve, though.  Ronin couldn't have gotten the Soul Stone without Widow's death, so I think she's permanently gone.  It would be nice if this were presented as an RIP Tribute to her rather than an actioner backstory movie set in a vacuum.

I give zero shits about the Eternals as they are some of the biggest Mary Sues in the Marvel Universe.  Cosmic MCU tends to be pretty good so that's why I'm hoping it won't suck.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

My guess is that ScarJo is in no way done playing Black Widow completely.  If Adam Warlock isn't going to be the guy popping in and out of the Soul Gem to talk to people, it'll be her, and she's really the right person to fulfill that role if they go that direction.  Yeah, I know the gems are dusted; but do you see that "Multiverse" title up there?  Yeah, that shit's coming back.  It's comic books: if something works, it's never completely gone.

Edited by Contentious C

33 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

My guess is that ScarJo is in no way done playing Black Widow completely.  If Adam Warlock isn't going to be the guy popping in and out of the Soul Gem to talk to people, it'll be her, and she's really the right person to fulfill that role if they go that direction.  Yeah, I know the gems are dusted; but do you see that "Multiverse" title up there?  Yeah, that shit's coming back.  It's comic books: if something works, it's never completely gone.

Most of the interviews she's done since the movie seem to indicate that she's done but yes, the Pym apparatus was never confirmed destroyed so I guess it's possible to somehow bring an alternate timeiline version of Black Widow to the present post Glitch MCU. 

Much in the same manner that Gamora was "brought back."

There's also the pocket dimensional madness in WandaVision to be considered since Vision will also be returning in some form or fashion.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I'm a big fan of the MCU but this feels like a weird year for me and maybe a misstep.  They're kicking off the next phase with 1) a backstory film about a character who's already dead, so why should we care? and 2) a film about an obscure group of heroes

I could be wrong.  Maybe Widow is alive and there will be a swerve.  Maybe Eternals will be amazing (the last movie about a more obscure cosmic team is in my top 5).  But right now it's a realy low key way to kick off a new thing.

I'm of the same mindset. The Eternals likely sets up the next cosmic big bad, but you could still do that with any other more recognizable Marvel property. I think Black Widow looks good, but ultimately I don't care much about seeing a movie flesh out her backstory. It feels like Solo in a way where we really didn't need a backstory movie for Han Solo. Shang Chi is another that feels like some of the most niche shit ever. I get some people on here are jazzed about a martial arts MCU movie, but I'd much rather have a more popular hero getting their first movie.

I love the MCU more than just about anything else, but I'm not into anything until Doctor Strange comes out next year.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Most of the interviews she's done since the movie seem to indicate that she's done but yes, the Pym apparatus was never confirmed destroyed so I guess it's possible to somehow bring an alternate timeiline version of Black Widow to the present post Glitch MCU. 

Much in the same manner that Gamora was "brought back."

There's also the pocket dimensional madness in WandaVision to be considered since Vision will also be returning in some form or fashion.

My train of thought was more in the lane of, "Everyone who gets sucked into the Soul Gem via claiming the Gem exists across all timelines and places, but only through some spooky interaction or another."  I highly doubt they'll ever do anything whatsoever to have her come *back* back.  She'll be doing some Red Skull-at-most kind of a visit with someone; I could very much see her showing up in Dr. Strange's movie as a cameo and having a chat with him that might echo what he had with Tilda Swinton in the first movie.  Plus, I take actors who are "done" with things as seriously as sports owners who have "faith" in their coaches.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Shang Chi is another that feels like some of the most niche shit ever. I get some people on here are jazzed about a martial arts MCU movie, but I'd much rather have a more popular hero getting their first movie.

What more popular heroes do they have left who haven't gotten a first movie yet?

She-Hulk

Ms. Marvel

Hawkeye (Kate Bishop)

Squirrel Girl

Spider-Woman

Valkyrie

Tigra

Screaming Mimi/Songbird

Edited by Bustronaut
ETA: I could've sworn that said "heroine" originally. The point stands.
  • Like 1

Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and Valkyrie are all big yesses from me.

And if we want to do another male superhero then there's Nova, rocket strap an Ant Man sequel and call it Ant Man and the Fantastic Four, fuck the Moon Knight series and do a movie, Sentry, and Namor.

Wait...what happened with Squirrel Girl anyway? I thought the AT&T commercial girl, the one who is also a wrestling fan, was cast for the role (even though it should be Barb from Stranger Things).

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

She-Hulk

Good call.

Ms. Marvel

I kinda think Carol needs to have been known on Earth for at least a few years before they can do Kamala. Though I suppose they could just tone down the "Carol Danvers fangirl" aspect and focus more on her being a general superhero fangirl.

Hawkeye (Kate Bishop)

I'm... vaguely aware of her existence. Is she really more popular than Shang-Chi?

Squirrel Girl

That would be cool, but I have my doubts on whether the MCU is ready to go full-on self-parody.

Spider-Woman

Questionable whether they have the rights, what with the Sony/Disney deal being up in the air.

Valkyrie

The comics character or the MCU one? I very much doubt comics Valkyrie is more popular than Shang-Chi. MCU Valkyrie, yes.

Tigra

Screaming Mimi/Songbird

Again, I can't imagine either of these characters being more popular than Shang-Chi.

And something I neglected to mention in my earlier post is that Craig listed Shang Chi being "niche" as a point against, but I'd argue it's a point for. Most if not all of the MCU franchises occupy a specific niche, something that sets them aside from the others. Marvel clearly has a formula, of course, but each franchise tweaks that formula in a different way. A Shang-Chi movie that combines the MCU formula with classic kung-fu movie tropes is right in their wheelhouse. It's less clear what hook you'd use for Tigra or Spider-Woman that would make them not just another super-hero movie.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Again, Power Pack should be up there. Kids with superpowers are like weapons-grade wish fulfillment.

Shit yes.