DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

I finally watched JOKER this weekend, and I don’t know, man...it was fine?  I thought it was actually pretty boring for long stretches.  You can tell it was being rewritten on the fly, because there are certain scenes that are great and there are others where they’re clearly just trying to get through it.  Like, “Ummm, just have Joaquin dance or look at himself in the mirror or whatever.”

Felt very similar to VENOM in the sense of a heavyweight actor willing a movie into something more than the sum of its parts.

• Like 4

On 1/13/2020 at 4:39 PM, EVA said:

I imagine quite a lot of things in this movie were invented by Phoenix on set or in his trailer the day of. The improv aspect of the production is readily apparent, for better and for worse.

Different takes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They've been in service since 1983

We looked it up at work. AM General got the original contract in the mid 80s, after preliminary work began in the late 70s.  They were tested in Yakima (not at a APG) from 85 to 91. Their first use in combat was apparently in the invasion of Panama in 89. 

one of the guys at work who was an M1 mechanic in West Germany said he didn’t remember seeing them until maybe the late 80s at the earliest. 

his argument was that it seemed unlikely you would see a HMMV in 1984 in downtown DC, especially with a .50 caliber machine gun mounted to it. 

my only comment was I hope they were not using ones with uparmored kits, as I know personally what a pain in the rear those can be. ? 

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

We looked it up at work. AM General got the original contract in the mid 80s, after preliminary work began in the late 70s.  They were tested in Yakima (not at a APG) from 85 to 91. Their first use in combat was apparently in the invasion of Panama in 89. 

one of the guys at work who was an M1 mechanic in West Germany said he didn’t remember seeing them until maybe the late 80s at the earliest. 

his argument was that it seemed unlikely you would see a HMMV in 1984 in downtown DC, especially with a .50 caliber machine gun mounted to it. 

my only comment was I hope they were not using ones with uparmored kits, as I know personally what a pain in the rear those can be. ? 

I'd say it's very unlikely but they existed,  I just wonder who she is fighting in that clip.  It could be some secret underground mercenary group.  

My thought was something like that as the most likely diegetic explanation: secret military group/DARPA or DCU version of Hydra (maybe Per Degaton). 

Comics Diana has always had a strong WWII tie-in. But we know Movie Diaba was in WWI but what else? 

Edited by odessasteps

83318755_10221783363713872_1289575226387

22nd of January is my Sister's birthday. I remember where I was and what I was doing when the news broke that Heath Ledger died. Shameless was on a ad break so I tuned into the BBC News Channel and it was breaking news. I swore and woke my dozing Dad up. I can honestly say I was in that small minority thrilled by Ledger's casting. An all time great performance as the Joker in an all time great film, The Dark Knight (2008).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 3:37 PM, odessasteps said:

One of the guys at work was watching the WW trailer and said "this is set in the 80s, right? Why is someone driving a Humvee?" 

Putting up the J.T. batsignal on this one. 

If it's before 1989, I call bullshit.

First use of the hummer in combat was the invasion of Panama in '89 aka Operation Just Cause.

That shit is TACOM 101.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 10:45 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

They've been in service since 1983

The first contracts for construction were awarded in '83.  Officially, they entered service in '89.

On 1/20/2020 at 11:31 PM, Craig H said:

Humvees and Hummers are made right here in Mishawaka/South Bend/Granger. Sad amount of layoffs there for what feels like the entirety of my life..

Yeah, I had to break the bad news to parts suppliers when MRAP and JLTV came online and vehicle construction moved to Oshkosh.

Edited by J.T.

22 hours ago, The Natural said:

Honest Trailers: Joker added 20 minutes ago.

I've said it before... I'll say it again.  HT's work best when the movie they're doing is bad, since Joker was actually good, this was a slough to sit through. 

Aside from saying "Boy the hot takes were sure wrong about this one", there's no insight about the movie, and they're not doing anything other than spoilering the movie. Not even the cast names at the end were funny. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I've said it before... I'll say it again.  HT's work best when the movie they're doing is bad, since Joker was actually good, this was a slough to sit through. 

Aside from saying "Boy the hot takes were sure wrong about this one", there's no insight about the movie, and they're not doing anything other than spoilering the movie. Not even the cast names at the end were funny. 

I agree.