DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

In my opinion, there's still way too much "Dark Knight" and not enough "World's Greatest Detective". 

That's a side I'd like to see more of. We saw a little section of forensic work in The Dark Knight. With the Riddler as the baddie in The Batman, we should see a battle of wits between them. It's the early years of both. FYI, you bringing up the "World's Greatest Detective" reminds me of how David Warner delivered detective voicing Ra's al Ghul in Batman: The Animated Series. Thank you.

• Like 1

EgK5TPkU8AEoM2W?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah, love this Batsuit (one tiny change I'd make is the head of the Bat symbol more noticeable like the rest is) and everything in The Batman trailer. I do wonder what Matt Reeves has in mind for future Batsuits. Hope the basic design is kept like all future Captain America suits were based on his Super-Soldier/S.H.I.E.L.D. suit in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014). Please keep the collar as a identifiable feature of the Matt Reeves ' Batman.

I fucking love Batman. Massive Batman fanboy.

Edited by The Natural

The Internet has already cracked the cypher on the Riddler’s card.  Of course, it seems like it might have been easier to just figure out the riddle.

”What does a liar do when he’s dead?”

”He lies still.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, love this Batsuit (one tiny change I'd make is the head of the Bat symbol more noticeable like the rest is) and everything in The Batman trailer. I do wonder what Matt Reeves has in mind for future Batsuits. Hope the basic design is kept like all future Captain America suits were based on his Super-Soldier/S.H.I.E.L.D. suit in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014). Please keep the collar as a identifiable feature of the Matt Reeves ' Batman.

I fucking love Batman. Massive Batman fanboy.

Well for one, if the emblem is made out of recycled gun material and the gun that killed his parents, I'd maybe make that less obvious. If that's the idea.

I need a better idea of what's going on with the gaunlets.

Overall though, I see this as a neat cinematic interpretation/mashup of Year One and the Arkham Origins suit.

• Like 1

Detective Batman is the best.  I didn't particularly care for Nolan's Ninja Batman, but Nolan's insistence on realistic science being used for Batman's gadget arsenal made me forgive a lot of shit.  The memory cloth Batcape fucking ruled.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The Tumbler, and the bat pod were an incredible onscreen effect. One things for sure, they haven’t really let go of that aesthetics for this new movie. 

I'd say the comics for the better part of the past 30 years (I don't want to go back further but maybe) share a similar aesthetic and I welcome it. I've always liked it more than the brighter/campier Gotham.  But that's me..  I can understand it not being for everyone. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Control said:

To be more serious: in all honesty, I’m just burnt out on superhero films. I’m sure I’ll watch some more of them, but this one ain’t gonna entice me. Maybe the next Thor?

More specifically, the aesthetics of the trailer don’t do anything for me. It’s clear, as stated, that he’s going for a Fincher-esque vibe. I dunno: gritty reimagining of what was already the most humourless film franchise isn’t something I need.

And, sure, let’s say “philosophically,” after a summer of seeing the need for communal action and watching the police wage war against their own citizens, I’m just not in the mood for vigilante violence. I bet Derek Chauvin thought he was the fuckin Batman when he put his uniform on.

So of course my wife chose BIRDS OF PREY for tonight’s viewing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'd say the comics for the better part of the past 30 years (I don't want to go back further but maybe) share a similar aesthetic and I welcome it. I've always liked it more than the brighter/campier Gotham.  But that's me..  I can understand it not being for everyone. 

I think a good mix of both would be welcome. I have a feeling this will be it. I mean they have Collin Farrell under heavy makeup to play a fat guy, when they didn’t have to. So they obviously want to keep it grounded in some ways, but also make it fantastical through the special effects. We saw a bit of that with Nolan, but this is a human playing a human. No accidents to make him that way. It’s almost Dick Tracy like in a way.

8 hours ago, Control said:

So of course my wife chose BIRDS OF PREY for tonight’s viewing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

So does she not know you a kind of fatigued on superhero movies, or does she just like to mess with you?

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Well for one, if the emblem is made out of recycled gun material and the gun that killed his parents, I'd maybe make that less obvious. If that's the idea.

I need a better idea of what's going on with the gaunlets.

Overall though, I see this as a neat cinematic interpretation/mashup of Year One and the Arkham Origins suit.

Two of my favourite Batsuits. Batman: Year One or Batman: The Animated Series has my all time favourite Batsuit, probably B:TAS.

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

Detective Batman is the best.  I didn't particularly care for Nolan's Ninja Batman, but Nolan's insistence on realistic science being used for Batman's gadget arsenal made me forgive a lot of shit.  The memory cloth Batcape fucking ruled.

I loved the memory cloth cape, how it's rigid putting a current through it and the Tumbler. Great elements by Christopher Nolan those.

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My ideal Batman is Batman: The Animated Series and then Grant Morrison's epic 2006-2013 Batman run. I also like the brighter Batman of the 1960s TV show and movie but it's not my preferred Batman incarnation. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

So does she not know you a kind of fatigued on superhero movies, or does she just like to mess with you?

I don’t think she knows the extent of the fatigue, but also this pandemic has been shit for her so she gets to call the shots without any griping on my end.

• Like 3

nm_the-batman-2021.jpg

I hope future Batsuits in Matt Reeves' Batman films use this one as the template. The construction, materials, and design style will remain the same, but there will be some incremental changes. The collar and symbol should stay as they're fresh and the most distinctive details of this Batman. I'm surprised a collar hasn't been done till now on a live action Batsuit. Best thing about the collar is allowing head movement helped by the cowl as well.

Edited by The Natural

Lot of Brits playing comic book characters:

Henry Cavill, Superman.

Charlie Cox, Daredevil.

Gary Oldman, Commissioner James Gordon.

Liam Neeson, Ra's al Ghul.

Michael Caine and Jeremy Irons, Alfred Pennyworth.

Tom Hiddleston, Loki.

Hayley Atwell, Peggy Carter.

Benedict Cumberbatch, Doctor Strange.

Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy, Charles Xavier.

Ian McKellen, Magneto.

Alfred Molina, Doctor Octopus.

Brian Cox, William Stryker.

Anthony Hopkins, Odin.

Karen Gillan, Nebula.

Dominic Cooper, Howard Stark.

James D'Arcy, Edwin Jarvis.

---

Cox, Oldman, Hiddleston, Bale, Holland, Cumberbatch, Atwell, Stewart and McKellen particularly standout to me.

Edited by The Natural

On 8/24/2020 at 12:27 PM, The Natural said:

As we thought. Great fucking work.

I saw someone say "they used all that makeup to make Colin Farrell like like Richard Kind when they could've just cast Richard Kind" and now that's all I can see.

• Haha 1