DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

Every bit I see disappoints me more and more since it likely means me ever seeing live versions of those characters that I liked in the comics likely to not happen any time soon. I just don't see why Harley Quinn needed to be attached to Birds of Prey. Doesn't look terrible at least.

Edited by Eivion

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Every bit I see disappoints me more and more since it likely means me ever seeing live versions of those characters that I liked in the comics likely to not happen any time soon. I just don't see why Harley Quinn needed to be attached to Birds of Prey. Doesn't look terrible at least.

I think being disappointed by live action adaptations is something every comics fan has to deal with at some point. 

31 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think being disappointed by live action adaptations is something every comics fan has to deal with at some point. 

Some point already happened multiple times. What is annoying is that I actually like Harley quite a bit. I just hate DC's need to attach her to teams she has no business being a part of like Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad. Harley is better in her own world, and the concepts of the latter can sell w/o her if they bothered to do them well. I'd rather see Harley palling around with Ivy than working with BoP or SS.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, but who is that Asian woman, and why do they keep calling her Cassandra Cain?

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Yeah, but who is that Asian woman, and why do they keep calling her Cassandra Cain?

Cassandra Cain is at least half Asian or half Asia-American.  Her mom is Lady Shiva / Sandra Wu-San, right?

My question would be why isn't the live action version as badass as Orphan?

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Cassandra Cain is at least half Asian or half Asia-American.  Her mom is Lady Shiva / Sandra Wu-San, right?

My question would be why isn't the live action version as badass as Orphan?

Sorry, I phrased that badly. I probably should've said something more like, "Who is that bubbly, talkative Asian woman, and why are they calling her Cassandra Cain?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ah yes, I've seen maybe one post about Birds of Prey as a team in the comic section in all my years posting at these boards but now they are a treasured ensemble. ?

No one called them a treasured ensemble. I just like what I have read of them together and would have preferred that than connecting them to a psychopath like Quinn. Never mind the random Asian girl they are calling Cassandra Cain that doesn't seem to have any of her qualities or a Renee Montoya who is about 20 years too old

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

No one called them a treasured ensemble. I just like what I have read of them together and would have preferred that than connecting them to a psychopath like Quinn. Never mind the random Asian girl they are calling Cassandra Cain that doesn't seem to have any of her qualities or a Renee Montoya who is about 20 years too old

That's how I felt when Mandarin was a bait and switch scenario in Iron Man 3 and they played it for laughs but I don't know if this is going to go completely away from the comic lore we have only seen 3 minutes of footage.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's how I felt when Mandarin was a bait and switch scenario in Iron Man 3 and they played it for laughs but I don't know if this is going to go completely away from the comic lore we have only seen 3 minutes of footage.

The problem with this is a real version of the Mandarin exists in MCU and will be seen in Shang Chi.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

The problem with this is a real version of the Mandarin exists in MCU and will be seen in Shang Chi.

The real Mandarin only exists now because of the backlash of IM3. They released that little 'All Hail the King' one shot because of the backlash. We haven't seen one second of footage so it might be a little early to say they got it right this time. 

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The real Mandarin only exists now because of the backlash of IM3. They released that little 'All Hail the King' one shot because of the backlash. We haven't seen one second of footage so it might be a little early to say they got it right this time. 

I always thought it was weird to have a white guy playing Mandarin in the first place so I never really had an issue with IM3's change, especially because of the short which I don't think was a response to that backlash as much as people think.

The trailers and the first half of Iron Man 3 (2013), we get a menacing Mandarin by Sir. Ben Kingsley only for it to be undone with another businessman who has a grudge with Tony Stark and is a big step down from Kingsley's villainy. Such a waste. Still annoyed by Iron Man 3. Intrigued to see the real Mandarin as played by Tony Leung in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings next year.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I always thought it was weird to have a white guy playing Mandarin in the first place so I never really had an issue with IM3's change, especially because of the short which I don't think was a response to that backlash as much as people think.

Don't take it from me take it from Shane Black.  He said it was Marvel's response to the backlash.  He said they didn't realize so many people loved Mandarin. I'm glad they are attempting to get it right. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/16/iron-man-3-director-shane-black-says-real-mandarin-was-marvels-apology-to-fans

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

A white guy with Indian heritage best known for playing Gandhi. ?

If they wanted Rebecca Hall to be the villain in Iron Man 3, they could've easily had her be Madame Masque but reasons and all that. Could've used Ghost in that film as well.

Instead they are putting Mandarin with Shang-Chi which is fine and all I suppose, but it's proof that Shang-Chi doesn't really have any good villains of his own.

Granted if the villain was Madame Masque, critics probably would've called the character sexist and Tony Stark defeating her is misogynist. But oh well. Sometimes you can never win.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 3:40 AM, Eivion said:

Some point already happened multiple times. What is annoying is that I actually like Harley quite a bit. I just hate DC's need to attach her to teams she has no business being a part of like Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad. Harley is better in her own world, and the concepts of the latter can sell w/o her if they bothered to do them well. I'd rather see Harley palling around with Ivy than working with BoP or SS.

This was Robbie’s idea, not WB/DC.  She stated explicitly after Suicide Squad that she wanted to produce an all-female movie, and the Birds were the closest, most easily associated property.

I feel reasonably confident there wouldn’t be a Birds of Prey movie happening, ever, without Robbie/Harley.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

This was Robbie’s idea, not WB/DC.  She stated explicitly after Suicide Squad that she wanted to produce an all-female movie, and the Birds were the closest, most easily associated property.

I feel reasonably confident there wouldn’t be a Birds of Prey movie happening, ever, without Robbie/Harley.

Despite it's flaws and there was plenty of them, SS made around $750M worldwide and I'd guess a big part of that was Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.  

This will not make nearly as much but they kept the production budget low (around $75M) and they are banking on Margot's star power and the power of HQ to turn a nice profit. 

I thought Joker was a lock to pick up Academy Award nominations for Best Actor and Best Original Score. A good chance for Best Cinematography and Best Picture nods but likely miss out on Picture. Best Director I didn't see coming. 

I'm rooting for Joker to get Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Original Score and Cinematography. I'm particularly wanting Joaquin Phoenix and Hildur Guðnadóttir to win. Even those who hate Joker rightly praise those two.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 1:51 PM, JLSigman said:

Sorry, I phrased that badly. I probably should've said something more like, "Who is that bubbly, talkative Asian woman, and why are they calling her Cassandra Cain?"

Okay that makes more sense.   The Cassandra Cain in the movie ain't my Cassandra Cain.

• Like 3