DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Nothing can beat the Hand of Fate.

9180-79848691.jpg

Is that like Dr. Fate's hand? If so, where is the rest of the good doctor?

I think it's disingenous to call this a "SAW" type of movie/villain from what we've seen when it's much more noir/Fincher inspired.  Calling it that is an attempt to devalue what Reeves is going for and I like the first SAW a lot.  The villain plays games, sure. That's where the comparison ends. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's fair but you're not generally happy with any choices that are made. ?

True. Ive definitely grown more ... particular ... with age. 

That said, I was all in with praise for Archive, even if I seemingly couldn't get anyone here to watch it. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Do you mind elaborating? I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

To be more serious: in all honesty, I’m just burnt out on superhero films. I’m sure I’ll watch some more of them, but this one ain’t gonna entice me. Maybe the next Thor?

More specifically, the aesthetics of the trailer don’t do anything for me. It’s clear, as stated, that he’s going for a Fincher-esque vibe. I dunno: gritty reimagining of what was already the most humourless film franchise isn’t something I need.

And, sure, let’s say “philosophically,” after a summer of seeing the need for communal action and watching the police wage war against their own citizens, I’m just not in the mood for vigilante violence. I bet Derek Chauvin thought he was the fuckin Batman when he put his uniform on.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Control said:

To be more serious: in all honesty, I’m just burnt out on superhero films. I’m sure I’ll watch some more of them, but this one ain’t gonna entice me. Maybe the next Thor?

More specifically, the aesthetics of the trailer don’t do anything for me. It’s clear, as stated, that he’s going for a Fincher-esque vibe. I dunno: gritty reimagining of what was already the most humourless film franchise isn’t something I need.

And, sure, let’s say “philosophically,” after a summer of seeing the need for communal action and watching the police wage war against their own citizens, I’m just not in the mood for vigilante violence. I bet Derek Chauvin thought he was the fuckin Batman when he put his uniform on.

Maybe that's why I'm so excited for this. I haven't seen a super hero movie since the last Spider-Man reboot and it was perfectly fine, helped mostly by Michael Keaton. Before that, I don't even remember. Probably the last Nolan Batman movie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Control said:

Sit through "Watchmen" again, that'll fix you right up!

So did everyone miss the bits in Avengers where Tony Stark was talking about how he was revolutionising the affordable energy industry? It's not like the first time you see him in  the movie he's building a massive Arc Reactor to power all of New York City or anything, after all.

Also, Superheroism is fundamentally Marxist. From each according to their means, to each according to their needs. If you're about to be hit by a bus, but I have the power to stop it hitting you, I should and will. It's super villains who are the fascists. Well, them and The Punisher and the other anti-hero heroes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think it's disingenous to call this a "SAW" type of movie/villain from what we've seen when it's much more noir/Fincher inspired.  Calling it that is an attempt to devalue what Reeves is going for and I like the first SAW a lot.  The villain plays games, sure. That's where the comparison ends. 

It's not like Saw invented the whole death trap horror scenario. 

Just now, AxB said:

So did everyone miss the bits in Avengers where Tony Stark was talking about how he was revolutionising the affordable energy industry? It's not like the first time you see him in  the movie he's building a massive Arc Reactor to power all of New York City or anything, after all.

Also, Superheroism is fundamentally Marxist. From each according to their means, to each according to their needs. If you're about to be hit by a bus, but I have the power to stop it hitting you, I should and will. It's super villains who are the fascists. Well, them and The Punisher and the other anti-hero heroes.

What's Marxist about Tony wanting to violate ethics by building an omniscient AI program to protect the world, even at the risk of personal freedoms? Without oversight or approvals but anyone other than himself? 

And then he gifts Peter with a freaking death satellite that has the power to wipe out entire nations.

Poe's The Pit & The Pendulum is the first instance most people recall where a death trap is being used as a plot device in horror, but William Munford's The Iron Shroud predates it by about a decade.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Late to the party, but I did really love the look of The Batman from that trailer alone. It reminded me of how The Crow looked like the 90’s rock videos of the time.

I’m guessing the reason everything is in the pitch black look throughout the trailer is because it’s adapting Batman: Year Zero, and it’s the only way a riddle based villain stands a chance against Google backed superhero by taking out an entire cities power grid.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

We’ll see how it works out. There is a lot of mystery to this trailer. In tone at least, since we know who the villain will be. But Riddler does present that puzzle like challenge for a storyteller. 

I wonder how the look of these films will turn out with the next film. In the comics Scott Snyder’s take on Gotham is that there is a huge shift in the world after the big blackout. Gotham is much more grounded, and modern, but then following the events that take place in Year Zero the world of Batman becomes the Gotham we all know.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Listen, it’s obvious that instead of a rehash of previously featured villains, they could have used the technology to bring Vincent Price’s Eggman back to the screen. I mean, the CGI Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One? Convincing and flawless. Step up your game, DC.

Oh man, I remember, years ago as a goof, I pitched a grim and gritty reimagining of Egghead and Olga to a friend.  I wish I remembered all of it.  I think I made them genius siblings, but he suffered a horrible TBI or something (his head cracked like an egg!) and to save his life she had to give him that giant, reinforced cranium but he was left severely mentally impaired.  He was basically like a Frankenstein monster that did her evil bidding.  I forget the particulars of their tragic backstory, though.  I feel like Olga blamed Bruce Wayne for the political/economic crisis in Bressarovia that led to Egghead’s injury or some dumb shit.

Oh, to be young and have that much free time on my hands.

Edited by EVA

If you can’t have egg puns, then why bother. That’s literally all that character is good for.

It feels like if the Riddler isn’t done now, then we’ll never get another opportunity with the ever changing technological world. So I’m happy they are tackling the character. 

Side note: Maybe it’s not the Riddler. I was thinking with the way he’s masked his face we could be seeing a fake-out with his real identity.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

aPKZzLC.gif

Cool shot to end The Batman trailer with. First time Bruce Wayne/Batman takes his cowl off and you see the black eye paint. In past films it either disappears as the cowl's removed (Batman Returns, 1992) or has his back to the camera (Batman Begins, 2005).