DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

More details:  This will be based on Snyder’s original 4-hour cut.  Snyder has considered breaking it down into 6 “episodes.”  It will take an estimated $20-$30 million* to finish, possibly including calling back some of the cast for pick-ups.

*It’s really fascinating how the media landscape is changing.  That price tag would’ve made it prohibitive for a Blu-ray release, but in the context of Warner joining the Streaming Wars with HBO Max and in need of ever more grist for the content mill, that price tag looks like a bargain.  They could not produce a new 6-episode superhero show (with comparable production value) for that amount of money**, but now they get to bring something “new”(ish) to HBO Max with a fervent built-in audience and all their A-list characters for relative chump change.

**By way of comparison, the first season of Mandalorian and the final season of GOT both cost $15 million per episode to produce.  A typical season of Westworld costs ~$10 million per episode.

Edited by EVA

1 hour ago, EVA said:

IT’S HAPPENING

It will most assuredly suck, but I can’t wait.

I watched Justice League on HBO while bored one Friday night and had obscenely low expectations for it. I found it to be a pretty fun for something I didn't try to think about too much, and I honestly enjoyed it more than Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice. With that said, I think the Snyder cut will be pretty terrible because the other two movies (and I've only seen the director's cut of Dawn of Justice) were pretty terrible.

• Like 1

Well, on the one hand, the terrible people have scored a win. On the other, it's a win that is really about exploiting them and ultimately, they're going to be left with an empty feeling of victory instead of putting all of their time and effort into something meaningful and worthwhile. 

• Like 1

Weird, since Charles Roven said that like 80% of the movie we already got was Snyder's original shoots, but of course Snyder disagrees and says they didn't even use a fourth of his material. Meanwhile, Collider said a few years ago that two different sources told them his original cut of the movie was "unwatchable".

But, yes, Whedon screwed the pooch on this movie, right? Got it. Even though he took over in post-production, only rewrote a few scenes, and reshoots took place 2 months before the movie was released worldwide. So basically in two months, they changed the entire movie and scrapped basically everything Snyder had filmed from April to October 2016 (and everything he did in post from the end of '16 to May 2017).

.....alright.

Well, the theatrical cut of JL was right at 2 hours long.  If Snyder’s cut is 4 hours, then, even if somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% is correct for his material in JL, he’s still not exaggerating terribly in saying that only about a fourth of his movie ended up on screen.  Maybe more like a third of it.  (I am not good at math.)

Whedon re-shot a LOT of stuff for JL, but, in fairness to him, a lot of what he shot didn’t end up in the movie either.

IMO Warners should shoulder the majority of the blame for the movie we got.  They were meddling in every aspect of the film, from the moment BvS crashed and burned to the moment it was released.  Both directors got fucked in the end.

Collider?  I mean...  look.. in all seriousness the movie could very well had been a complete mess but they aren't the first guys I'm going to for movie opinions. 

Why does anyone care if this is getting a shot?  If you don't want to watch it you can just not watch it..  I already know quite a few of you in here will hate every single thing about it so why put yourself through it?  ?   Carry on.. 

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

They were meddling in every aspect of the film, from the moment BvS crashed and burned to the moment it was released.  Both directors got fucked in the end.

They meddled in BvS quite a bit too.. especially with the editing.  All of those executives are gone now.  This current team has a pretty good track record so far.  Regardless,  it sounds to me like whether they believe in this project or not this is all about subs for HBO MAX. 

19 hours ago, Matt D said:

Well, on the one hand, the terrible people have scored a win. On the other, it's a win that is really about exploiting them and ultimately, they're going to be left with an empty feeling of victory instead of putting all of their time and effort into something meaningful and worthwhile. 

This comment feels...somehow familiar...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Can I have a "No Ezra Miller" cut?

He's the one thing that I don't believe Snyder can fix.  Everyone else is cast perfectly..  Henry,  Ben,  Gal,  Ray...  maybe part of the $20 million will be new scenes with Grant? 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 5:39 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

So we're really doing this? Maybe I should try to meme a better version of Spider-Man 3 into existence. 

There is no meme for that.  If there was a call to release the Raimi cut of Spider Man 3, it wouldn't have been made in the first place.  Sam hates that fucking thing.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

There is no meme for that.  If there was a call to release the Raimi cut of Spider Man 3, it wouldn't have been made in the first place.  Sam and everyone hates that fucking thing.

Slight tweak, friend.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:26 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

It says something how loved he is by Ben and Gal and jason.. etc. He always comes across well from the people who work with him 

This. Zack Snyder does come across as a good guy to me even if mileage may vary when it comes to his films. The former is more important than the latter. His wife, Deborah does as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1