DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

harley_and_ivy.jpg

We do need Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy on the big screen together for the first time. Liked that pairing ever since the sublime Batman: The Animated Series. Karen Gillan for Poison Ivy, please and thank you.

Edited by The Natural

Looks like Birds of Prey is gonna fall short of the projected 50 million opening weekend (planning to see it next weekend myself). Obviously the problem is they didn't use Harley Quinn enough. 

Edited by BrianS81177

1990: Jack Nicholson won a Golden Globe for playing The Joker. Batman (1989).

2009: Heath Ledger won an Oscar for playing The Joker. The Dark Knight (2008). 

2017: Jared Leto won a Razzie for playing The Joker. Suicide Squad (2016).

2020: Joaquin Phoenix won an Oscar for playing The Joker. Joker (2019).

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

1990: Jack Nicholson won a Golden Globe for playing The Joker. Batman (1989).

2009: Heath Ledger won an Oscar for playing The Joker. The Dark Knight (2008). 

2017: Jared Leto won a Razzie for playing The Joker. Suicide Squad (2016).

2020: Joaquin Phoenix won an Oscar for playing The Joker. Joker (2019).

Has Mark Hamill ever won anything for his Joker performances?

Joker was finally released on DVD in the UK today. My Dad picked a copy up as my Cerebral Palsy is on. There's a "Academy Award Winner" round sticker on the cover. The Academy Awards happened in the early hours of this morning UK time, I was awake when Hildur Guðnadóttir won for Best Original Score and Joaquin Phoenix won Best Actor. That means said sticker was either stuck this morning before shops opened or it was already on as it was widely expected Guðnadóttir/Phoenix would win those respective awards.

• Like 2

At least at some theaters, they are changing the name of to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey in effort to salvage the box office.

I've heard nothing but good things, but it'll have to wait until next weekend. JoJo Rabbit and Parasite was enough time in the theater for me this weekend.

Most unusual to have a name change four days after release. Only title change I can come up with is Live Die Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow (2014).  Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) needed to be called Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey from the start. Read that the box office take is bad despite getting positive reviews/WOM. What factors are at fault? 

The R rating stopping some people going. That may be the case but look at how Deadpool (2016), Logan (2017) and Joker (2019) performed at the box office.

The original Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) name was too long but it still had Harley Quinn front and centre of posters. Doubt a name change will do much. 

Speaking of front and centre, felt like Harley Quinn was pushed as the draw and the Birds of Prey just so happen to be there/get tagged along.

The DCEU taint? No as Wonder Woman (2017), Aquaman (2018), Shazam (2019) and this were well received, Aquaman the least of them. Joker (2019) sits outside the DCEU, right?

Suicide Squad leaving a lingering bad taste. That could be a factor. 

Suicide Squad's pull was the trailers but more so, Joker and Harley Quinn on the big screen for the first time. We got the worst live action Joker ever by far in Jared Leto.

The marketing department.

I'm not in big a rush to see the film, goes for a lot of 2020's comic book movies at the cinema.

Edited by The Natural

Warner Brothers be cutting a big cheque to get Joaquin Phoenix to do Joker 2 or somehow be in The Batman sequels. I don't think Phoenix will even though he was open to the former. I think one of the main reasons Phoenix agreed to Joker was a one and done, he turned down Bruce Banner and Doctor Strange. Be very interesting to see who plays the part next, it's going to be a big name and big shoes to fill.

Edited by The Natural