DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

21 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I’m super excited for Birds of Prey, especially now. I love Huntress and Canary and hear that they are both done justice. 

I was all in when I watched the extended trailer and saw Ewan McGregor lovingly lift the Black Mask to his face.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jamal said:

I’m super excited for Birds of Prey, especially now. I love Huntress and Canary and hear that they are both done justice. 

I liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead since I first saw her in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. That film turns ten this year. Fuck we're old.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2020 at 11:32 AM, EVA said:

I finally watched JOKER this weekend, and I don’t know, man...it was fine?  I thought it was actually pretty boring for long stretches. 

Pretty much exactly how I felt. It's beautifully shot, has a great score, great lead performance... And then on the other hand, a script that is functional but nothing better, absolutely middle of the road direction, and fails to develop any other characters. And, yeah, there was a good twenty minutes in the middle where I was very aware of how bored I was.

I said it before, but it's basically the exact definition of 3/5 or 6/10 type of movie. Above average, but nothing that I was blown away by. I'm baffled by both the praise and the hatred it got.

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Pretty much exactly how I felt. It's beautifully shot, has a great score, great lead performance... And then on the other hand, a script that is functional but nothing better, absolutely middle of the road direction, and fails to develop any other characters. And, yeah, there was a good twenty minutes in the middle where I was very aware of how bored I was.

I said it before, but it's basically the exact definition of 3/5 or 6/10 type of movie. Above average, but nothing that I was blown away by. I'm baffled by both the praise and the hatred it got.

I do think Joaquin Phoenix performance, Hildur Guðnadóttir music and Lawrence Sher's cinematography raised the film's standard up. I thought Joker was great. I'm a lifelong Batman fan but I'm able to be objective and say when something Batman related sucks.

Edited by The Natural

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I do think Joaquin Phoenix performance, Hildur Guðnadóttir music and Lawrence Sher's cinematography raised the film's standard up. 

Yes, but the standard it would've been at if those elements had been on the same level as the rest of the movie is... Well, awful.

I don't think it sucked. I just don't think it was particularly good. It needed somebody to take a pass on the script with the idea of giving any other characters any notable personality traits. It really could've used a better director as well, but I guess it probably doesn't happen without Phillips. But, to be fair, I've never been impressed with Phillips' work as a director. It's not as big a deal in comedies, because we've apparently decided as a collective filmgoing society that comedies only need the camera pointed at the actors, and anything else is just showing off. But in a drama, especially a drama aping two Scorsese movies... He wasn't up to it at all. 

Again, though, I don't hate it at all. It's just a movie. It was... Fine.

35 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I do think Joaquin Phoenix performance, Hildur Guðnadóttir music and Lawrence Sher's cinematography raised the film's standard up.

I just want to second this. Phoenix elevates the movie through force of will, and the music and the look of the movie are top shelf. I understand that without the Joker/Batman references this movie probably doesn't get made, but I still think those were the weakest parts of the movie. I would have just rather see a movie about this guy and his descent into his own mental abyss and how that reflects on the world around him. He can still think he comes from rich stock, just don't make it Thomas Wayne.

I will say, as much as I would rather see this movie sans comic references, I really like the idea of a DIFFERENT kind of comic book movie that they went for here. Its not your standard superhero(ok, villain) origin story, it's a different spin and I like the outside the box thinking.

• Thanks 1

EHNB5MKW4AAQqYX.jpg

The next actor cast as the Joker has to follow Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, Heath Ledger, Cameron Monaghan and now Joaquin Phoenix. That's tough going. Only the best need apply. I can see Adam Driver making a great Joker.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

EHNB5MKW4AAQqYX.jpg

The next actor cast as the Joker has to follow Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, Heath Ledger, Cameron Monaghan and now Joaquin Phoenix. That's tough going. Only the best need apply. I can see Adam Driver making a great Joker.

The thing about Adam Driver is, he's a big guy. You see him in a movie, he's a big guy. You see him on TV, he's a big guy. You see him in real life, he's a big guy.

And the Joker, traditionally, he's not a guy who gets it done with physicality. If Robert Pattinson is to be our Batman, we need a weedy guy to be his Joker (or just stay away from the character for a bit). Driver would work as Affleck's Joker, maybe, but he already has Leto. But that's the right sort of size disparity they should go for.

Besides which, going from Star Wars to playing THE Batman villain has already been done, far more impressively than I reckon Driver is up to.

11 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

I will say, as much as I would rather see this movie sans comic references, I really like the idea of a DIFFERENT kind of comic book movie that they went for here. 

You probably already have. And when it's done at this level, it'd probably have been a box office flop that received little awards attention. 

Very excited to see which uncomfortable truth Phoenix makes the centerpiece of his acceptance speech on Sunday. Weird how nerds are giving him less shit than Brie Larson. I wonder what that's all about. 

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Besides which, going from Star Wars to playing THE Batman villain has already been done, far more impressively than I reckon Driver is up to.

Wow, I didn't realize Ewan McGregor's performance was getting that kind of hype. I may need to buy a ticket to this thing after all!

Todd Phillips was nominated in the Best Director category at the Oscars and I want to shout him out too because his amazing work on Joker has been lost on some folks and for good reason as Phoenix delivered an all-time performance.  Congrats to Todd Phillips for proving the naysayers wrong.  

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Birds of Prey is getting rave reviews so far.  90% on RT with 80 reviews in.   We'll be seeing it probably Sunday I imagine. 

I have night duty this weekend and my kid will hate me if I go see it without her, so I guess I am waiting until next weekend so my daughter can roll with me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Birds of Prey is getting rave reviews so far.  90% on RT with 80 reviews in.   We'll be seeing it probably Sunday I imagine. 

Pleasantly surprised at high a Rotten Tomatoes rating, thought Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) would be in the 70s %. Nice seeing the DCEU turn it around with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam and now Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). Joker sits outside the DCEU, right?

Be nice to see Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) on release at the cinema.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1