DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Adding more fuel to the fire that the "Snyder Cut" was a huge load of bullshit that didn't exist considering how much they're shooting for it, it was announced today that Jared Leto was reprising his role as the Joker in it.

Oh, joy. Worst. Joker. Ever.

Edited by The Natural

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

Adding more fuel to the fire that the "Snyder Cut" was a huge load of bullshit that didn't exist considering how much they're shooting for it, it was announced today that Jared Leto was reprising his role as the Joker in it.

Is there anyone not named Jared Leto who was really calling for this?

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I’m theorizing we might see The Joker pop up in The Batman. They’ll either do the Red Hood thing Scott Snyder did, or one of the two lead villains will end up being The Joker in disguise. 

I'm going to go ahead and say this won't happen.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:17 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

Big Springtime for Hitler energy. 

I would be WAY more interested in a remake of the Producers with characters from the DC Universe playing the roles than anything having to do with the fucking Snyder cut

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Mangianello is playing Deathstroke again in the “reshoots.” Good for him. He seems way into playing the character and his insane workout regimen has gotten me shredded every time I’ve stuck with it, so he’s alright in my book. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

1bsF2hW7DbKINXb2t5unUhUtCRRvhm8XLSCglL7n

For a movie that’s scheduled to come out later next year. They sure are showing enough to make me think they’ll move it to HBO Max sooner.

I’m actually looking forward to this a lot. The pedigree is there, and the cast of colorful characters looks like this will push it to places the first one failed to do. Only thing I don’t care for is the setting. My least favorite Suicide Squad stories, are the war based ones. So I’m hoping that the ground war stuff is just in the beginning, and we’ll get some espionage with whoever survives the initial fight.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Re: that quote

Update (10/29/2020): This story has been updated from its original version, including the wording of the original headline. Comments have been added from Warner Bros. and representatives for Joss Whedon.

Because I just read the story and it no longer has anything specifically around that quote. This is what is said (spoilers for length)

Spoiler

Fisher went on to explain how the abusive and unprofessional atmosphere was cultivated behind closed doors even before Snyder departed the project. 

“Prior to Justice League’s reshoot process, blatantly racist conversations were had and entertained—on multiple occasions—by former and current top level executives at Warner Bros. Pictures,” Fisher stated. “Decision-makers that participated in those racist conversations were Geoff Johns, Jon Berg, and current Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich.” Emmerich, Berg, and Johns did not immediately respond for comment.

“I realized that the notes I ended up getting from Johns during reshoots were just a coded version of the racist things he was saying with behind closed doors with the other execs,” Fisher alleged.

“A lot of what these guys were doing was in an effort to prevent themselves from being fired during AT&T’s merger with Time Warner,” Fisher pointed out to Forbes. “I plan getting much more specific about each of these guys after the investigation is over—this interview is just the abridged version,” Fisher further clarified.

While Fisher was already aware of the alleged whitewashing, he didn't become aware of these racist conversations until after he started speaking out.

“These conversations were reported to me by people in the room. And I wasn’t made aware until AFTER I had already spoken out about Joss Whedon.”

“None of what I’m sharing in this interview is news to Warner Bros. HR, nor should it be news to WarnerMedia. I reported almost everything to them back in July—including Emmerich’s involvement,” Fisher said. “The fact that I’m having to advocate for myself in this way is equal parts freeing and frustrating.”

Outside of Fisher, multiple actors of color had their roles completely removed or heavily-reduced in Justice League. 

The role of Ryan Choi, played by Zheng Kai, was cut. Joe Morton, who played Cyborg’s father Silas, had his role mostly cut and reshot. While Zack Snyder included a diverse cast of characters, many of them had roles significantly altered, or disappeared from the film altogether before it arrived in theaters. Karen Bryson, who played Cyborg’s mother Ellinore, had her role cut as well. Additionally, Kiersey Clemons, who played Iris West, was removed from the film. All of them will appear in 2021’s Zack Snyder’s Justice League. According to representatives for Whedon, these decisions were made prior to his taking control of the project.

A representative for Whedon said; The individual who offered this statement acknowledged that this was just something that he had heard from someone else and accepted as truth, when in fact simple research would prove that it was false. As is standard on almost all films, there were numerous people involved with mixing the final product, including the editor, special effects person, composer, etc. with the senior colorist responsible for the final version's tone, colors, and mood. This process was further complicated on this project by the fact that Zack shot on film, while Joss shot on digital, which required the team, led by the same senior colorist who has worked on previous films for Zack, to reconcile the two.

“I always suspected that race was a determining factor for the way that things went down, but it wasn’t until this past summer that I was able to prove it,” Fisher said of the changes to minority characters.

Fisher outlined how the abusive and unprofessional atmosphere went beyond the racial elements. He claims a toxic and manipulative atmosphere quickly engulfed the Justice League reshoots. 

“Race was just one of the issues with the reshoot process. There were massive blowups, threats, coercion, taunting, unsafe work conditions, belittling, and gaslighting like you wouldn’t believe,” Fisher commented when asked for details. 

As for the role Johns had in the abusive environment on set, Fisher didn't mince words on either Whedon or Johns. 

“Geoff Johns made a veiled threat to my career during the LA reshoots of Justice League,” Fisher said. “Multiple sources have informed me, that Joss threatened the career of another person associated with the production. Toby was made aware and tried to cover for Whedon rather than deal with the abuse. That situation had to be escalated to Tsujihara to get any results.”

The bolded part (my doing) must have been where the original stuff was as the sentence seems out of place now

Variety has a report saying that Warner Brothers is debating giving Wonder Woman 84 a very brief theatrical run (like we are talking like 2 or 3 weeks) at the end of the year (keeping its current Christmas Day release) and then having it air on HBO Max in early January

The issue with the plan (well one of the issues) is it is highly unlikely that NYC and LA would have theaters open by the end of the year. (Not to mention folks who would just wait for the streaming release since they know it is only a few weeks away)

Otherwise - expect the movie to get delayed again until Summer 2021

I didn't love Leto in Suicide Squad.  I didn't love or even like that movie period.  But it does sound like Leto didn't get a fair shake and Ayer has been very vocal about his vision getting stomped on.  

Which I believe because the original trailer looked and felt much more like an Ayer film than what we ended up getting.  

I'm glad the old WB executives are out and HBO MAX is moving all DC stuff over to the service because it paves the way for more big budget DC content,  the Snyder cut becoming a reality and quite possibly the Ayer cut becoming a reality.  

If these films are half as good as Man of Steel (one of the best comic book adaptations there has ever been) then it will have all been worth it.