DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

10 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I guess the same could be said of any longstanding pop-culture figure or type of entertainment. I see a lot of this in wrestling fandom. 

One of the things about this pandemic has done is confirmed my idea that we'd be fine for a long time if we never got more wrestling, movies, game, or music. There's so much out there. I get it. I'm not saying people shouldn't express themselves of course. But there's just so much. Tired rehashes are lame. I am hopeful this is something different.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

I didn't know a lot about the history and the mythology but Batman '89 was everything to me as a kid.  It was a dark movie too.  But Batman would instantly become my favorite comic book character.  Later, I'd discover the X-Men and other characters and comics and now I have a lot of favorites but Batman will probably always be #1 or close to it. 

I don't care how many times Warner Bros. drinks from the well,  I'm there for it.  

Plus,  I realize that there's always going to be a new generation coming up.  There are people now who look at Nolan's Batman as their Batman as people in the 60's did with West. 

For a long time Keaton was my guy.  Shit,  Keaton is still my guy. Batman isn't just for me though,  it's for everyone old and new. I don't ever want to be the guy who says "this isn't MY version" of a character.  Never want to be that guy. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

In fairness to this trailer, I've had worse reactions to other tired characters being trotted just this week. 

"Hercule Poirot? Again?!" 

You aren't gonna top Ustinov anyway. I wish we got more of Ustinov. Seems like such a waste of talent that we didn't.

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, youtube can say something is in 4k or 1080p and it can look like ass. I know Netflix through Chrome looks like shit even with the HD settings on but much better in the windows app. 

The quality thing for using Vimeo was something I thought might be a reason too.  I was trying to "follow the money" by doing half-hearted Googling to see if Warner Bros/AT&T had some type of partnership with Vimeo's parent company (IAC) and/or if Warner Bros/AT&T had beef with Google (Youtube's parent company) recently.  Nothing stuck out but I wasn't trying hard on this holy day.

Edited by _MJ_

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

You aren't gonna top Ustinov anyway. I wish we got more of Ustinov. Seems like such a waste of talent that we didn't.

Ustinov's Poirot was definitely very entertaining and charming (perfect for a movie, I guess), though Suchet's Poirot fit the character (as written in the books) much better.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I have not seen Branagh's (or Malkovich's) Poirot, though Branagh made a very good Wallander.

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 1

Too bad that this movie can't have an ending like If You're So Smart because then it would be too dark, but that shit was note perfect.

latest?cb=20191117193823

Scary Riddler is the best Riddler.  I feel that Reeves will knock this one out of the park.

I hope I am not setting myself up for disappointment.

Edited by J.T.

48 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Can't eliminate him as a villain there when his best episode is still to come. 

latest?cb=20191117200948

It's criminal there were only three Riddler B:TAS episodes.  Then they redesigned him for the worse for TNBA, putting him back into the leotard, and didn't give him a single episode. 

I sorta agree with Mark.

The only thing that worries me about going all in on Scary Riddler in this movie is that Legit Riddler is like The Penguin.  Legit Riddler is in it for the money and the lolz are a bonus.  Crime is a business, not an obsession.  Riddler compulsively wishes to match wits with the Batman so that he can try to prove he's the smartest man in the room but at the end of the day, Edward Nygma wants to make a phat stack of cash.

Riddler is not a psychopath like the Joker.  Riddler is a narcissist.  

I like where Matt is going with this movie, but I am divorcing that from my thoughts about the classic character.  I think I just enjoy how Reeves is injecting menace into the Riddler; a solid Batman villain that Nolan passed on in favor of what he might have felt was an easier villain like Bane to convert from page to screen.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Can't eliminate him as a villain there when his best episode is still to come. 

latest?cb=20191117200948

Yep but did they show how he recovered from the "What's is Reality" episode?  My memory is foggy.

The Riddler's Reform episode is a fun one to bring up because if Riddler really was trying to reform (yeah yeah, he wasn't....I know) but if he was, then Batman is just stalking him at that point and being one of those "you're always be a felon to me" type of folk with authority.  Which I guess is what some of you are gleefully talking about in here in regards to Batman.  

Edited by _MJ_

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Riddlerbas computer hacker/wizard was a great updating of the character. 

I dont need to see him as some Saw style serial killer. 

You see a Saw-style serial killer. I see a dark re-imagining of Red Green.

red-green-d97b842e194d63f5.jpg

1 minute ago, _MJ_ said:

Yep but did they show have he recovered from the "What's is Reality" episode?  My memory is foggy.

The Riddler's Reform episode is a fun one to bring up because if Riddler really was trying to reform (yeah yeah, he wasn't....I know) but if he was, then Batman is just stalking him at that point and being one of those "you're always be a felon to me" type of folk with authority.  Which I guess is what some of you are gleefully talking about in here in regards to Batman.  

I don't think they explained his recovery. But they did allude what happened to Commissioner Gordon the last time someone opened one of those Riddler boxes.

The show does quite a few versions of "famous villain attempts to go straight." In some of them, they try to toe a line where Bruce is understanding and generous (trying to get Two-Face surgery, offering the Ventriloquist a job at Wayne Enterprises). Not sure how much it makes up for the time when he was literally stalking Poison Ivy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I sorta agree with Mark.

The only thing that worries me about going all in on Scary Riddler in this movie is that Legit Riddler is like The Penguin.  Legit Riddler is in it for the money and the lolz are a bonus.  Crime is a business, not an obsession.  Riddler compulsively wishes to match wits with the Batman so that he can try to prove he's the smartest man in the room but at the end of the day, Edward Nygma wants to make a phat stack of cash.

Riddler is not a psychopath like the Joker.  Riddler is a narcissist.  

I like where Matt is going with this movie, but I am divorcing that from my thoughts about the classic character.  I think I just enjoy how Reeves is injecting menace into the Riddler; a solid Batman villain that Nolan passed on in favor of what he might have felt was an easier villain like Bane to convert from page to screen.

The difference between the two is profound, Riddler wants to be the smartest guy in the room, but he'll happily settle for being the richest. Joker doesn't care, so long as everyone else in the room dies horribly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Batman is a bourgeois one percenter fascist. He is a billionaire after all. All superheroes are fascists at the end of the day.  

Go read some Spider pulps and get back to me...

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

A masked vigilante who takes the law into his own hands and violates the rights of civilians. 

Ah, you've read some, then? ?

Edited by OSJ