DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

David Ayer posted one page of the Suicide Squad script and now #releasetheAyercut is trending. DC fans on twitter will go to extraordinary levels to not admit bad movies are bad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good lord, apparently the Snyder cut of Justice League will be "longer than 214 minutes".  

More details to be released this weekend... with a possible trailer?   

On 7/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, AxB said:

David Ayer posted one page of the Suicide Squad script and now #releasetheAyercut is trending. DC fans on twitter will go to extraordinary levels to not admit bad movies are bad.

Or others will go to extraordinary levels to pretend studio interference doesn't exist.

Both sides are crazy.

On 7/24/2020 at 11:38 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Good lord, apparently the Snyder cut of Justice League will be "longer than 214 minutes".  

More details to be released this weekend... with a possible trailer?   

And again..there are people acting like they are forced to see it. Comic fans are like wrestling fans who are like star wars fans etc. There are enough people who want to see it where AT&T deemed it appropriate to throw a little money and see if it pops some HBO Max subs. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

And again..there are people acting like they are forced to see it. Comic fans are like wrestling fans who are like star wars fans etc. There are enough people who want to see it where AT&T deemed it appropriate to throw a little money and see if it pops some HBO Max subs. 

We have to hear about you watching it. That's almost as bad.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

We have to hear about you watching it. That's almost as bad.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

We don’t HAVE to. ? 

Exactly right,  you don't have to do anything @Matt D .  If Niners pops in here with a Justice League Snyder Cut review in 2021,  you are not forced to read it. I mean hey,  I might not even like the movie.. you never know.. It COULD happen.. 

I can't stand Burger King.  I don't like anything on the menu. I'm not going to get tricked into buying a junior Whopper. "Oh but it's different now.."  Nope,  you cannot fool me into thinking that I am going to like it.  

I know you guys hate Snyder and will hate this. I know it. We all know it. Nobody is going to force it on you, I promise. 

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Or others will go to extraordinary levels to pretend studio interference doesn't exist.

Both sides are crazy.

The thing with studio interference is, there's this narrative that all movie directors are visionary geniuses, and all studio executives are artistic philistines who just want to water things down and make them bad. But is it not equally possible that some movie directors are actually not that talented, and are too overly committed to badly planned and incoherent movies? And that the studio executives interfering are in fact desperately trying to impose some form of narrative logic and consistency of character on someone who is just filming random shit he thinks is cool?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The thing with studio interference is, there's this narrative that all movie directors are visionary geniuses, and all studio executives are artistic philistines who just want to water things down and make them bad.

I understand that however, pretty much every Warner Bros. studios exec from that era has been fired for one reason or another, they weren't some A-list team of execs.  It wasn't just the DC movies that they were having issues with. So it goes both ways.  There are many many executives who haven't a clue what they are doing in Hollywood. Just look at some of the movies that have been green lit over this past decade with disastrous results. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword,  Dark Phoenix,  Cats, Solo: A Star Wars Story, The Mummy, Gods of Egypt,  Alice Through the Looking Glass, etc. on and on... 

Some of these were rumored to have a ton of studio interference,  some were just downright horrible ideas that never stood a chance.  If you hated Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman I would say there is a very good possibility that you will hate this movie. There are better ways for you to spend 2 or 3 hours, however long it is. 

But to the people complaining about "this shouldn't exist"..   whether you like it or not there are people who want to see it and all of the stars of the movie have come out in support of Snyder for whatever reason and they all have had plenty of words for Joss Whedon whether it was his antics on set or trying to film upskirts of Gal Gadot, all of that. 

So what my stalwart friend of 15+ years, Mark, was indicating is that I can always put you on ignore. I don't think I have anyone on ignore right now, and I'd probably only do that to people who are downright vile, and you're hardly that. What I can't put on ignore is the waves of Snyder interviews and attention that are controversial so sites know will get clicks, and since they announced this things as the incel trolls basically won (which again, is not something I'm saying you are or it'd be a lot easier to ignore you; just the vocal majority on this one). That said, I don't think the movie should exist. The very last thing we need at this point in history is a DARK SUPERMAN movie, and waves of commentary by Snyder about the thing that will make Superman interesting (for the first time) is exploring his darkness. Maybe we need The Boys (though I don't think we do) or Watchmen (yep, that we need). Maybe we need the upcoming Invincible show. Maybe we need an Irredeemable movie or a Squadron Supreme movie or Kid Miracleman, but the last thing we need right now is some sort of backwards corporate celebration of a Superman movie that explores his darkness. So yeah, I don't think the thing should exist. Especially not in a world that isn't engaging and opposing, cinematically, the darkness outside our doors with one of the best and brightest symbols of light that our pop culture has created over the last century and a half. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

So what my stalwart friend of 15+ years, Mark, was indicating is that I can always put you on ignore. I don't think I have anyone on ignore right now, and I'd probably only do that to people who are downright vile, and you're hardly that. What I can't put on ignore is the waves of Snyder interviews and attention that are controversial so sites know will get clicks, and since they announced this things as the incel trolls basically won (which again, is not something I'm saying you are or it'd be a lot easier to ignore you; just the vocal majority on this one).

The problem here is that I am discussing a movie that I'll watch, might like and not really think too much more about it other than to post some things about the quality of the movie itself.

Like with Joker, I dont travel the depths of the internet cesspool looking for incel babble commentary..

I mean correct me if I'm wrong, is all that incel trolling you speak of even mainstream? Where is this going on at where you are beaten over the head by it? It isn't happening here.. I suppose "Twitter" is the answer but I don't read comic movie twitter.

I still maintain there is one change that could retroactively make MoS/BvS/Likely JLSC brilliant: end it by revealing this was actually Earth-3 the whole time.

Edited by Brian Fowler

• 2 weeks later...