DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2019-20: PERIOD 2

Dolfan in NYC

22 hours ago, Death From Above said:

We signed Milan Lucic and Kris Russell to a combined 10 years under the old regime, I am bulletproof to pain.

You might have a point but those are still better signings than Justin Abdelkader and Frans Neilsen.

• Haha 1

The Jets look like that they will likely just miss the playoffs, barring some sort of hot streak. However, my own personal Jets season just concluded and was quite successful. Went to 4 games this year and they won all of them by a combined score of 20-7.

Clearly someone needs to buy me season tickets and they'll win the Cup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can't even explain Lucic. Like, okay slowing down as you get older is one thing but (1) he's only 31 and he's an athlete in 2020 when guys play past 35 for fun, he's already looked done for two years and (2) this was a 6-time 20 goal scorer who genuinely looks some nights like he couldn't make a 15 foot pass or put a beach ball into the ocean. His hands are absolutely stone. My working theory was his back is fucked up but if that's true he would have had to clear a medical when Calgary traded for him so I have nothing. I don't even have any malice for the guy really, just absolute confusion about what happened here.

16 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

As bad as those are, Im not sure if there was a worse contract given in the last decade then the Milan Lucic deal.

Today I learned that Milan Lucic has somehow scored fewer goals under his contract than Frans Nielsen has scored under his.  I am utterly baffled.  Kudos to you, you win this argument.

Detroit got bombed again last night, 7-1*.  This time by Minnesota.  Jimmy Howard got pulled again - 6th time this year, I believe.  He's now 2-23-2 on the season, or 2-25 if you don't do funny math.  Just for fun, I looked it up, and he's the first goalie to have 20+ losses and 2 or fewer wins in a season since Jeff Hackett for the 1992-93 Sharks.  Hackett went 2-30-1.  Howard has been awful this year, make no mistake.  But it's hard to not feel sorry for the guy.  It seems like every shot he faces is either a wide open slam dunk, a shot off of a dead giveaway, deflects 17 times on the way to the net, goes through 11 guys screening him or goes into the tiniest of openings.  Last night was more of the same.  He gave up 5 and he could have been 8 or 9 as he stopped breakaways, 2-on-1s and the like.  Just so brutal.  Meanwhile, Jonathan Bernier is 13-20-1 with a 2.95 GAA.  On any other team, he'd be like 28-5-1 with a 2.00 GAA or lower.  He's played out of his mind the last 2 months.

Also, lemme rant, yet again, about NHL.TV and their beautiful apps.  For various reasons, I have had to use different devices to watch games the last week or so.  Using a tablet, I fired it up and tried to watch the Wings game.  I hit play and it decided I really wanted the end-game recap with the final score rolling across the bottom.  Thanks guys!  Last night, I used my Apple TV that I haven't used in awhile.  Before doing anything, I checked to make sure I was logged in and "Hide Scores" was turned on.  I was logged in but Hide Scores was off.  Turned it on.  Went to watch a game - scores displayed.  Turned it off again.  Back to the games - scores displayed.  By now, I'd seen the Wings' score.  Logged out and back in and finally got it to work as it should.  It's remarkable how terrible the experience is on everything except my PS4.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Chris Kreider fractured his foot blocking a shot

Well that pretty much negates all the good from the last month

A day after Patrik Laine left the game after taking a shot to his foot as well. Nothing broken luckily.