DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2019-20: PERIOD 2

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Sabres waived bitter bitter Zach Bogosian on Friday.

He cleared waivers and was signed by Tampa Bay today

I was praying that the laffs would sign him so he could help them continue to lose games.

The Red Wings & Flames almost pulled of that rarest of all birds today - a commercial-free period of hockey. Until 30.9 seconds left, every stoppage came from a goal or icing, so no commercials. And that one stoppage almost wasn't a commercial either - another 0.9 seconds and we'd have had a period with no ads.

• Like 1

The Islanders are closing in on landing the top rental center available at the deadline as they’re close to acquiring Jean-Gabriel Pageau from the Senators, reports TSN’s Bob McKenzie (Twitter link).  Postmedia’s Bruce Garrioch reports (Twitter link) that Ottawa receives a 2020 first-rounder, a 2020 second-rounder, and a third-rounder in 2022.  The first-round pick is top-three protected while the third-rounder will only be conveyed if the Islanders win the Stanley Cup this season.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/02/islanders-nearing-a-trade-for-jean-gabriel-pageau.html

• Like 1

NHL contracts are ridiculous. There is no need to have contracts that long and then for the league to go back and retroactively punish teams for taking advantage of an obvious loophole is such a Mickey Mouse league thing to do. Six years is the longest contract allowed in the NBA, right? Parise signed a fucking 13 year contract!

59 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

NHL contracts are ridiculous. There is no need to have contracts that long and then for the league to go back and retroactively punish teams for taking advantage of an obvious loophole is such a Mickey Mouse league thing to do. Six years is the longest contract allowed in the NBA, right? Parise signed a fucking 13 year contract!

I still haven't figured out how the Flyers avoided trouble for the Pronger deal (which was so long he was still on a NHL team payroll while he was also a senior NHL employee) but the Devils got punished for the Kovalchuk deal that was exactly the same thing. I have kind of given up understanding hockey's CBA.

• Like 1

The Oilers got Andreas Athanasiou and a minor league winger for picks and Sam Gagner.

I feel for Sam. The Oilers, in multiple iterations, have kind of put him through the wringer. Now here he was near the end of his career, getting time here and there with McDavid, and we trade him to the worst NHL team of the last decade. Never heard a bad word from him publicly about the organization and lord knows he's had a thousand chances. Would have really liked having him around but business is business I guess.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 11:09 AM, Death From Above said:

Tyler Ennis to Edmonton for free (a 5th round pick).

This is so weird having a real GM that tries to make the team better.

You might feel different when he signs a couple 12-goal scorers to 9-year contracts at $8m per.  Or 35-year old centers with no offensive skill that are too slow to pay defense.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:46 AM, Death From Above said:

The Oilers got Andreas Athanasiou and a minor league winger for picks and Sam Gagner.

I feel for Sam. The Oilers, in multiple iterations, have kind of put him through the wringer. Now here he was near the end of his career, getting time here and there with McDavid, and we trade him to the worst NHL team of the last decade. Never heard a bad word from him publicly about the organization and lord knows he's had a thousand chances. Would have really liked having him around but business is business I guess.

AA has a chance to do big things. He's unbelievably fast and has some skill. He's also the worst defensive player in the NHL. Gives away the puck constantly and never defends anybody. But, man, that speed. I hope he does well.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

AA has a chance to do big things. He's unbelievably fast and has some skill. He's also the worst defensive player in the NHL. Gives away the puck constantly and never defends anybody. But, man, that speed. I hope he does well.

No, Zach Bogosian is the worst defensive player in the league (which considering he's a defenseman means he really sucks). The Tampa GM should have to take a piss test for signing the guy because you could literally put the names of every AHL defensemen on a dartboard and whoever you hit wouldn't be worse than Bogo.

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

You might feel different when he signs a couple 12-goal scorers to 9-year contracts at $8m per.  Or 35-year old centers with no offensive skill that are too slow to pay defense.

We signed Milan Lucic and Kris Russell to a combined 10 years under the old regime, I am bulletproof to pain.