DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2019-20: PERIOD 2

Dolfan in NYC

The situation is getting close to fans storming Key Bank Center in the same manner as happened at the Bastille.

Edited by sabremike

That was probably the most intense week of Edmonton/Calgary games since uhhhhhhhhhh... faux wood panel TVs were still a thing?

If those two teams ever meet in the playoffs it might actually be civil war.

Quite the cherry on top that Edmonton beat St. Louis in the middle, too.

• Like 2

During the course of Detroit's win to end yet another losing streak last night (thanks Buffalo!), the announcers mentioned several time that teams are dealing with stick shortages because of the coronavirus problems in China.  Apparently, nearly all sticks are made in China now (the rest being made in Mexico).  Color me surprised.

I really don't know what to make of the Oilers having such a big week, then following it up with two absolute stinkers in a row vs Phoenix (minus 2 of their best D) and San Jose (who are kind of a shell of themselves especially with Hertl gone). Even had the lead 2-0 on San Jose early. Extremely puzzling.

Detroit with a nice win over Boston, 3-1, at home yesterday.  I'll take it.

Once again, though, I am baffled by NHL officiating.  Missed calls happen, I get that.  I will never understand penalties that are seen and just flat out not called.  Boston's goal came after Pastrnak wound up to swipe at the puck, missed completely, and he whacked Luke Glendenning in the face.  Glendenning was KO'ed for the play, Pasta being the guy he was covering.  Pastrnak was left alone to score.  Play was seen by at least one, if not both, refs.  Not a penalty if Pastrnak had played the puck but he did not.  Later in the game, in full view of at least one ref, there was a huge crosscheck  by Boston on a Detroit player in front of the net.  Knocked the Red Wing onto his face.  I just don't get why stuff like these aren't called (and, yes, I'd say the same thing if Detroit had committed the offenses).  Kinda ironic as the ref for the game was Dan O'Hallaran's 1500th and the announcers made sure to tell us how awesome Dan is.  

23 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Jay Bouwmeester collapsed on the bench just after a shit. He's been taken to hospital, apparently he was alert and responsive. The St. Louis/Anaheim game has been postponed.

Interesting how often this seems to happen in hockey compared to other sports. Jiri Fischer, Rich Peverley, Jay Bouwmeester...probably other guys I'm forgetting.

21 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Not sure what a coach is supposed to get out of that roster. Then again the GM just traded for Alex Galchenyuk, who is one of the worst advanced stats players in hockey and has been for a while now, so this may not be a franchise doing all their due diligence.

Staple just Tweeted that Doug Weight is a candidate for the job. I SWEAR TO GOD I'M NOT MAKING THAT UP.

• Haha 1

Can anyone explain to me how Tom Golisano is not in the HHOF? He is literally among the biggest heroes in the history of the sports: without him the Sabres would not exist today. Very few people in hockey history made as positive an impact on this sport as he did.

Since I love to rip on NHL officiating, a bit of praise (sort of):

Couple nights ago, Boston & the Rangers squared off.  After a whistle, Patrice Bergeron started some nonsense in front of the net with a guy from the Rangers.  Brad Marchand decided to jump in and crosschecked, from behind, the guy Bergeron was squared up with.  A different guy from the Rangers then BLASTED Marchand from behind with a crosscheck, sending his helmet flying.  Only one penalty called - on Marchand.  Not exactly the right call - there could easily have been 3 or 4 penalties called - but Marchand was definitely the biggest butthead here.  So him getting the only penalty feels "right".  Plus, you know, it's Marchand.

Guest The Magnificent 7
15 hours ago, Tabe said:

Since I love to rip on NHL officiating, a bit of praise (sort of):

Couple nights ago, Boston & the Rangers squared off.  After a whistle, Patrice Bergeron started some nonsense in front of the net with a guy from the Rangers.  Brad Marchand decided to jump in and crosschecked, from behind, the guy Bergeron was squared up with.  A different guy from the Rangers then BLASTED Marchand from behind with a crosscheck, sending his helmet flying.  Only one penalty called - on Marchand.  Not exactly the right call - there could easily have been 3 or 4 penalties called - but Marchand was definitely the biggest butthead here.  So him getting the only penalty feels "right".  Plus, you know, it's Marchand.

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, Tabe said:

That is just glorious.

This tops it (which is an incredibly high bar):

Robin Lehner isn't the hero we need, he's the hero we deserve.

• Like 1