DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2019-20: PERIOD 2

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

People are really getting on these tan Dallas pants but they are so much better than those absolutely horrific poop gloves.

I'm pretty into both actually. The pants work with the green and gloves are really underused as far as design choices go. I can see the gloves not being for everyone, but I appreciate the effort.

Looks like we are finally finding out what happened with regards to Jim Montgomery

Montgomery announced he is entering rehab for alcohol abuse

Montgomery, who was abruptly fired on Dec. 10 due to "unprofessional conduct," called his dismissal a "wake-up call."

"It was also the appropriate call," Montgomery said. "I let the team's front office, staff and players down. More importantly, I let my wife and my family down. The team's decision to end my role forced me to look into the mirror and decide whether I wanted to continue living a damaging lifestyle or get help. I decided to get help. I turned to professionals in the field of alcohol abuse for their guidance and counseling. It has been an overwhelming and a very humbling experience knowing that I am not alone."

On 1/6/2020 at 5:41 PM, Death From Above said:

No real surprises here. Take your pick. The NHL standings, the eye test, the analytics, whatever. The team's underperforming.

The Preds problem is David Poile, who has been able to cover for his ineptitude for years by just coasting on the good graces of Nashville sports fans.

But winning, or almost winning, has brought in a new crowd that doesn't have the patience like coaches of yore could count on.

The era of the Jeff Fisher and Barry Trotz being able to be mediocre and the fans goings "Aw, shucks. We're just glad to have a team." is over.

But anyway, fuck the Preds.

6 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

The Preds problem is David Poile, who has been able to cover for his ineptitude for years by just coasting on the good graces of Nashville sports fans.

But winning, or almost winning, has brought in a new crowd that doesn't have the patience like coaches of yore could count on.

The era of the Jeff Fisher and Barry Trotz being able to be mediocre and the fans goings "Aw, shucks. We're just glad to have a team." is over.

But anyway, fuck the Preds.

You are knocking Barry Trotz? The same Barry Trots who did something everyone said was impossible and lead the Caps to the cup? The same Barry Trots who walked into an organization that had just gotten obliterated in a historic fashion and led them to a top 5 in the league finish and a playoff series victory? Jesus H Christ. Without Trotz the Preds might not even exist today. For over a decade he made them among the most credible teams in the entire sport on a shoestring budget. The fact that the team has something like the 5th or 6th best all time record of all NHL teams is testament to the job Trotz did. And putting him in the same sentence as freaking Jeff Fisher is the single dumbest thing I have ever seen on these forums (and just think about the ground that statement covers).

As is annual tradition, everyone is yelling about the all-star uniforms again.

I honestly don't mind the concept of just putting each team logo on a generic jersey for the game, but I am really confused why they changed the logo's colour schemes. Like, why is the Oilers logo solid orange? Why is the Bruins logo solid yellow? Why is the Senators logo solid red? I don't understand that.

On 1/8/2020 at 2:42 PM, sabremike said:

You are knocking Barry Trotz? The same Barry Trots who did something everyone said was impossible and lead the Caps to the cup? The same Barry Trots who walked into an organization that had just gotten obliterated in a historic fashion and led them to a top 5 in the league finish and a playoff series victory? Jesus H Christ. Without Trotz the Preds might not even exist today. For over a decade he made them among the most credible teams in the entire sport on a shoestring budget. The fact that the team has something like the 5th or 6th best all time record of all NHL teams is testament to the job Trotz did. And putting him in the same sentence as freaking Jeff Fisher is the single dumbest thing I have ever seen on these forums (and just think about the ground that statement covers).

Fifteen years of mediocrity with the Predators. That's Trotz's legacy? He's a great coach, but he won't going into the HOF because of his Preds tenure.

As I said it, was all due to Poile being a horrid GM.

13 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Fifteen years of mediocrity with the Predators. That's Trotz's legacy? He's a great coach, but he won't going into the HOF because of his Preds tenure.

As I said it, was all due to Poile being a horrid GM.

If your GM sucks doesn't that make what Trotz did in keeping the team competitive for so long pretty impressive? Right now Trotz has his team with the 6th best record in the league with the decaying remains of Lou Lamorello as the GM, and the only reason Lou isn't the worst GM in hockey right now is that incompetent oaf Jason Botteril is currently busy destroying the sport of hockey in Buffalo.

The Caps extend/re-sign Nicklas Backstrom

5 years, $46 million

Considering how long some hockey players play, I think it's cute that all the DC fans are THIS MEANS HE WILL RETIRE A CAP!!!!