DVDVR Message Board

Live Music 2020

Cliff Hanger

Yeah I checked out the website. It's a three day deal. Of course there is stuff over all three days I'd like to see and that doesn't include the Friday kick-off featuring the Buzzcocks. Fucking hell if I have the stamina for four days so I'll have to end up  making an agonizing decision. 

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also, Megadeth and Lamb of God are somehow coming to Mt Pleasant, so that's one show I'm definitely hitting

Lamb of God is from the RVA and they barely play any shows here.  The closest they will get is the Verizon Amphitheater in Va Beach.

The last time I remember them playing a live show in RVA was about nine or ten years ago.  They usually played the annual New Year's Evil event on a double bill with GWAR.  I used to work security for the Canal Club back in the day.  Got to see a lot of cool shows there including 2 Skinny J's.

I was there the night that the fans for Good Charlotte started jumping up and down and collapsed the floor of the concert hall on the second floor.  Stupid kids almost fell down through the ceiling of the restaurant on the first floor.

After that, the building had it's capacity code revised and the club only books regional and local artists now.  They don't do too many big shows anymore.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Lamb of God is from the RVA and they barely play any shows here.  The closest they will get is the Verizon Amphitheater in Va Beach.

I saw them in Grand Rapids a couple summers ago, but them coming to the town I actually live in, and bringing Mustaine's addled brain in a "two bands that were here with Chris Addler" package... I'm surprised but down.

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Rage Against the Machine and Run The Jewels announced tour dates today. That's an interesting combo

The closest this show will get to the 804 is the Cap One Center in DC, but that is far more doable for me than a show in Bmore..  I can go to the show and get back to RVA in the wee hours of the morning.  I'll be able to survive on a couple hours sleep as long as I crash hard when I get home from work.

I'm debating on whether or not I am going to get tickets to DJ Shadow in Bmore on May 7th.  It's on a Thursday and it's not like I am exactly welcomed at my old crib since the wifey and I fell out last year. 

I have some use or lose banked up, so maybe I'll just take that Friday off?

Edited by J.T.

On 2/11/2020 at 5:03 AM, J.T. said:

I saw them play in store at Plan 9 records exactly One Million years ago.

• Like 1

I was about to see Lamb Of God at Bonnaroo but their set got delayed by an hour and some change due to a severe thunderstorm. I didn't go back once they finally got to do their set, but I did get quite a few compliments on my Damien Sandow "birth of intellectualism" shirt.

At least the fans at their set seemed more cool and down to earth than the ones at Between the Buried & Me. What a bunch of snobby pricks.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Also the Fake Dead Kennedys are playing Brooklyn with DOA as the supporting act. I'm really torn: on one hand how many chances will I get to see DOA live in NY (And I know Shithead Keithly is the only remaining original member but he's the most important one), but on the other do I really want to give a dime to the Fake DK's? They are even more idiotic than the Doors reunion with Ian Asbury, and when you consider this type of shit was everything the original band stood against it's way worse. Jello put it best in a song he did about it suggesting we get a Nirvana reunion with Courtney Love as the lead singer.

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've heard Fake DKs are pretty good live. It's a chance to see East Bay Ray, Klaus Flouride and DH Peligro. Yeah no Jello is pretty stupid but it's better than watching DOA, who IMO always sucked.

I just wish Nomeansno would come out of retirement. Even if they did a tour as The Hanson Brothers that would be great. One show in Brooklyn I'll be going to is night 2 of the Black and Blue shows. That's headlined by Gorilla Biscuits and Madball, 2 bands I have always wanted to see. First night has Agnostic Front and Sick of it All, and when I get the funds I want to go to that too.

Dropkick Murphys and Rancid will be in Richmond for Virginia Credit Union Concert Series at Richmond Raceway on Mon, May 4, 2020 - 6:00PM.  

With the DJ Shadow show coming up on the 7th, it will be a busy and expensive week if I can afford tix to both shows.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Autopsy was killer. I went through two sets of earplugs, drank Malort, and snagged an Aktor and a Dream Death record from Chris Black. The place was so packed that I almost had an anxiety attack and had to go sit at the bar for a minute and get my bearings; thankfully Reggies has that row of comforters up in the balcony so I hung out up there. Cianide might be the heaviest band I've ever seen live. 

• Like 1