DVDVR Message Board

Live Music 2020

Cliff Hanger

The old Live Music thread hasn't been posted to for a while, so I figured this was preferable to necromancy.  Saw TSOL and the Dwarves last night, having never seen a truly old school punk act live outside of festivals, and I'm not sure if I've ever felt more out of place at a show.  It was a lot of fun, but man did I feel like a tourist as someone who likes the music but has never been part of The Scene.

So far this year I have tickets to Queensryche in January and Bad Religion/Alkaline Trio in April.  Got my eyes out for other stuff; I'd really like to get back to one show a month even if nobody on my bucket list is playing.

In 2019 I managed to knock TSOL, GNR, the Cure, Bruce Hornsby, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Metric and mc chris (shut up I was 23 when Adult Swim started) off my bucket list, saw Dream Theater, Joe Jackson, Bob Mould, Weird Al and Robyn for a second time and CHVRCHES for a third, plus saw the Slants at their last-ever con show.  So not bad.

Edited by Cliff Hanger

Last ever Avoided show, World/Inferno Friendship Society, Deceased/Bat/Savage Master, a local punk show... Jesus fuck, I only went to four shows last year?! Unless I was dragged to something drunk and don't remember. I bought a ticket for Blood/Nunslaughter but never got a ride up and wasn't going alone. That made me really mad. 

My first hope for the year ahead is to see Autopsy/Cianide/Molder in March. 

Oh, and my buddy Greg saw TSOL last year too, loved em

Edited by Curt McGirt

Sadly, no word on a 2020 US tour for Mark Knopfler... I am bummed. I really want to see both Roy Wood and Knopfler one more time before they hang it up for good. Knopfler's new album is the best thing he's done since the glory days of Dire Straits, I'm totally digging it. At 70 he's making quite the case for being the best guitar player alive.

Forgot that I did get drunkenly dragged to go see La Armada, who for pretty much being a nu metal band in anarcho/crust clothing, are fun live. 

And my buddy (and musical genius) Chris Black is also performing at the Autopsy show with his Professor Black project. Though it doesn't match his work in High Spirits, Dawnbringer, Superchrist, or Pharoah, it's his tribute to Lemmy and Motorhead and believe me, there isn't anyone more suited for such a task than him: 

https://heavymetalismyway.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-rock

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 2 weeks later...

Concert Goals for 2020: (not sure how many of these I will accomplish)

Catch Multiple Umphrey's McGee Shows this year

Joe Russo's Almost Dead (I've yet to see this one in person).

Dead & Company

Foo Fighters

Greensky Bluegrass

Sweetwater 420 Fest

Other than the Silverstein 20th anniversary show and Mephiskaphales/Inspecter 7 (HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!) nothing in the NYC area the next few months jumps out as anything I MUST go to.

I have picked up 2 more profoundly nerdy tickets for February: Dance With the Dead (this will be my 3rd time seeing them, they're pretty much the only non-vocal synthwave act I'd spend money to see because they've got a live guitarist and are good showmen) and Protomen/TWRP (who doesn't want to see a Jim Steinman-esque rock opera about Mega Man?)  

Holy shit I'm seeing Queensryche on Wednesday and it feels weird to think about.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 2:11 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I've never heard them without Geoff Tate. That would be weird. 

Last couple albums with the new vocalist have been significantly better than Tate's stuff with Operation Mindcrime but it does take a little getting used to.

Picked up tickets to see Rammstein in Minneapolis again in August. They're going through North America on a mini-version of their stadium tour that they ran in Europe last year. The Mexico City show sold out so quickly that they announced a second show.

Now to wait for seven months. *twiddles thumbs*

I'm pretty sure the only concert I made it to last year was World/Inferno Friendship Society. They're coming back here in February to a venue with much better acoustics, so I might catch them again. I'm also catching John Cameron Mitchell on his Origin of Love tour when he comes through in April.

Strike that. I think I saw Yachtley Crew last year too.

Edited by Ace

I ended up missing Queensryche.  ? I was fighting off a cold and just felt like shit, so it was easy to rationalize skipping a $20 show by a band that isn't retiring.  Hope I catch them next time.  Thinking hard about Howard Jones on 3/12; it's an acoustic set which is weird for someone so wired in to electronic music, but when I saw his greatest-hits tour it was rad as hell, a good mix of his 80s radio classics with the more experimental stuff he did after falling out of the spotlight.  

19 hours ago, Ace said:

I'm pretty sure the only concert I made it to last year was World/Inferno Friendship Society. They're coming back here in February to a venue with much better acoustics, so I might catch them again. I'm also catching John Cameron Mitchell on his Origin of Love tour when he comes through in April.

Strike that. I think I saw Yachtley Crew last year too.

I just him doing Lou Reed, Bowie & Hedwig material backed up by Eyelids & Peter Buck at the 40Watt Club Saturday night.  It was pretty fucking amazing.

One of the most transcendent performances I've seen in a long, long time.

It was part of the Cracker/Camper Van Beethoven 7th (mostly)annual Camp-In, and was a highlight of great weekend of music.

Camper Van Beethoven has been on fire this tour. which is, sadly, now over

I really want to go to one of the MCR reunion shows but they are all going to sell out in like 13 seconds. Bayside just announced a 20th anniversary tour with Senses Fail and Hawthorne Heights, so that's one hell of a consolation prize. And later this month I'm going to Buffalo to see the Sabres at 3pm and a Toasters concert right down the street that night. Think I've seen The Toasters more times live than any other band.

Aside from my back wanting to give out and no seating, Adicts were GREAT. One of the most fun and entertaining rock bands I've ever seen live. Monkey can still sing it, is a perfect showman, and the whole performance was confetti, streamers, spilled beer, anthems and singalongs. Girls dancing at a punk show -- does it get any better?

I patiently await word of tour dates for Mark Knopfler's band... It's definitely a bucket list thing for me to see the world's greatest living guitar player (after Jeff Beck) before I cash in my chips.

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

I really want to go to one of the MCR reunion shows but they are all going to sell out in like 13 seconds. Bayside just announced a 20th anniversary tour with Senses Fail and Hawthorne Heights, so that's one hell of a consolation prize. And later this month I'm going to Buffalo to see the Sabres at 3pm and a Toasters concert right down the street that night. Think I've seen The Toasters more times live than any other band.

Just come to Music Midtown Festival and we can have a beer and watch My Chemical Romance ?

• Like 1

I would love to go see Possessed but seeing that they're touring with Pestilence and Patrick Mameli has revealed himself to be a right-wing asshole I feel very comfortable not giving them my money. I wonder if he knows 4/5 of Possessed are Mexican now? ?

EDIT: Oh btw, I heard Agnostic Frost is doing the entirety of Victim in Pain on this tour, so you're in luck! They played quite a few off of it when I saw them with Municipal Waste years ago too. There were also like three fights that broke out and Roger had to admonish people for. It was fun standing on the side balcony and watching women just come flying out running to beat on each other at the bar haha

EDIT II: Just remembered, Circle Jerks are reuniting and touring with Adolescents and fucking NEGATIVE APPROACH. 

Tour dates:

May 06 - Commodore Ballroom Vancouver, Canada *
May 07 - Showbox SoDo Seattle, WA
May 08 - Roseland Theater Portland, OR
May 15 - Strummer’s Fresno, CA
May 16 - Ventura Theatre Ventura, CA
May 23 - Punk Rock Bowling Las Vegas, NV +
Jun. 16 - White Oak Music Hall Houston, TX
Jun. 18 - Mohawk Austin Austin, TX
Jun. 20 - Paper Tiger San Antonio, TX
Jun. 21 - Granada Theater Dallas, TX
Jun. 23 - Red Flag St. Louis, MO